Naga

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Oh, and maybe I'm missing something, but why is being a large monster neccessarily a good thing? They can move a bit faster with the "large steps" between movements, and they are good at blocking passages, but they take up space and block line of sight for your own monsters and are huge targets who can rarely hide around corners. To top it all off, many of them (especially the ranged ones like nagas, elementals, manticores, and chaos beasts) are overall weaker than many of their smaller counterparts. I've only used large monsters a handful of times when given the choice, usually only for the fortitude of giants, and I have no trouble winning a majority of quests.

One of the bigger reasons is from the reinforcement rules from the base-game campaign (The Shadow Rune). When it comes to reinforcing, you can reinforce your entire monster group in a single turn (or half w/ 4 players) for many big monsters and a much smaller fraction of that with the smaller monsters. I've heard some of the other campaigns may have fixed some of these issues, but I can't point to a specific example yet.

#22 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Oh, and maybe I'm missing something, but why is being a large monster neccessarily a good thing? They can move a bit faster with the "large steps" between movements, and they are good at blocking passages, but they take up space and block line of sight for your own monsters and are huge targets who can rarely hide around corners. To top it all off, many of them (especially the ranged ones like nagas, elementals, manticores, and chaos beasts) are overall weaker than many of their smaller counterparts. I've only used large monsters a handful of times when given the choice, usually only for the fortitude of giants, and I have no trouble winning a majority of quests.

One of the bigger reasons is from the reinforcement rules from the base-game campaign (The Shadow Rune). When it comes to reinforcing, you can reinforce your entire monster group in a single turn (or half w/ 4 players) for many big monsters and a much smaller fraction of that with the smaller monsters. I've heard some of the other campaigns may have fixed some of these issues, but I can't point to a specific example yet.

There are quests in Labyrinth of Ruin where they value monster reinforcements based on their size. For example, one quest gives you a certain amount of tokens for reinforcements: small monsters cost 1 and bigger monsters cost more.

#23 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Which just goes to show that FFG doesn't understand the tactics of their game particularly well :-)

Don't know which adventure Whitewing is talking about, but there's also one where you spend tokens to buy reinforcements based on their HP - each token gives you 8 HP worth of reinforcements. Still not balanced, but better than monster size...

#24 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Which just goes to show that FFG doesn't understand the tactics of their game particularly well :-)

Don't know which adventure Whitewing is talking about, but there's also one where you spend tokens to buy reinforcements based on their HP - each token gives you 8 HP worth of reinforcements. Still not balanced, but better than monster size...

I might be confusing a few different quest reinforcement mechanics and merging them together =p.

It's been a long time since I looked at the LoR quests: haven't had a chance to play them recently.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS