Any writers here?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

I have yet to write anything but I have always wanted to, or at least I always find myself wanting new story lines.

Has anyone been inspired by Edge of the Empire / Age of rebellion to write short stories of your PC?

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#2 Icosiel

Icosiel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

I am a writer professionally, and yes, I do love to write adventures for my group! I've yet to write any adventures for EotE, but I've ran my group through many long-winded stories in Call of Cthulhu and Pathfinder.

I guess I didn't really address your post.

#3 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'd like to BE a writer. I did feel inspired to write stories about my EotE character but my brother and the other two players talked me out of it. :P

They said that there was a guy who played with them that did stuff like that and he got really weird about it. He wouldn't separate his writing from the game's story and say he should be allowed to keep things he wrote about or complain when the game didn't let him do the things quite like he'd put in his stories. It really made things difficult for everyone.

I know I can make up my own mind and, unless there's some local curse I'd be walking into by writing some stories about my PC, I won't be like that. But I feel like there's a LOT of accomodating going on to make sure I'm comfortable and can play (right down to the game we play!). I can write about other things in return.

- Haley

#4 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

I am in the middle of writing a module. It will consist of 4 episodes and I have just finished writing episode 2, it is an especially detailed module that touches closely on some of the things happening in episode III but not influencing them in anyway.

Right now, it consists of 32 pages (Word, 13.5 point) and I think in size and scope it could rival some the adventures release by FFG so far.

Of course, I can't say much about the quality as I am writing it myself so I have a bit of a blind spot for it.

#5 AceSolo5

AceSolo5

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:13 AM

Sounds intriguing DanteRotterdam... Would be interested to see a synopsis of what you've got planned if you didn't mind posting it?
Keep calm &... I don't know,fly casual!

#6 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:37 AM

I'd like to BE a writer. I did feel inspired to write stories about my EotE character but my brother and the other two players talked me out of it. :P

They said that there was a guy who played with them that did stuff like that and he got really weird about it. He wouldn't separate his writing from the game's story and say he should be allowed to keep things he wrote about or complain when the game didn't let him do the things quite like he'd put in his stories. It really made things difficult for everyone.

I know I can make up my own mind and, unless there's some local curse I'd be walking into by writing some stories about my PC, I won't be like that. But I feel like there's a LOT of accomodating going on to make sure I'm comfortable and can play (right down to the game we play!). I can write about other things in return.

The biggest thing that stops most writers, at least the biggest internal thing, is trying to write what they think they should write, rather than what they want to write. I say write some stories about your characters. If you get weird, you get weird, but you probably wont. And it's good practice at writing which is a critical thing for anyone who wants to be a writer.
  • PatientWolf and kaosoe like this

I lack credentials.

#7 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Sounds intriguing DanteRotterdam... Would be interested to see a synopsis of what you've got planned if you didn't mind posting it?

I'll send you a PM!

#8 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I usually write up a short story for my character background and introduction.

#9 Iamdude

Iamdude

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I always write up a short story, usually about a page or two, about my character and how he came to be with the party and motivations etc, they tend to be a bit weird though, like my tax collecting paladin for a DnD campaign:)

I'm running a campaign now for EotE for about 6 pc's and when it's finished I'll probably link to it here since everything is written up anyway. Not before it's ended though since I know at least one of my players reads these forums. It follows a structure where there are a couple of big story missions about an imperial superweapon and a number of sidequests in between, which consist of heists and treasure hunts since the players are fringe/criminal types. An enormous amount of nods towards popular fiction though, which might not be everyone's cup of tea (for example a pirate captain who calls himself Kenway)

#10 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Mostly only narratives for my characters at this point. 

I may be running a game and may write up a story of the PC's crazy times.

#11 glewis2317

glewis2317

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I write constantly and very little of it has to do with gaming. I do however use the same outline technique for writing scripts or long form stories, when planning adventures. I just tend to keep the details to a minimum in case my players go completely off the rails. This way, I know the general story and can fit events in where ever my characters happen to be.

I use a beat sheet, which breaks everything into three acts. Then I apply Star Wars rules. Start with the crawl. Acts one, two and three all take place on a different world, typically. Make sure there's a decent bad guy or at least a rival that can grow into a bad guy.

That's not your question though is it. Sorry. No I don't write stories based on SW or the game. I just write and it's obvious that SW and other genre fiction is a heavy influence.

#12 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

So I can certainly relate to this, and as a guy working on the FFG books, I guess how I got here might be of interest. I played my first tabletop RPG at 12 years old (Robotech, then Rifts, from Palladium Books) way back in 1991 or so with a couple of junior high school friends. I pretty much fell in love with the whole tabletop thing, and kept doing it ever since.

The combination of tabletop and Star Wars, however, started just a couple years later, when Ryan Brooks (another FFG writer) and myself started converting tabletop rules for play in chat rooms online. This led to purchasing an entire run of the WEG Star Wars D6 material (although I don't have every edition of every product, yet). and eventually creating a set of rules that allowed for a free form, chat room RPG that accommodated, at its peak, about 1,000 player characters in a GM-less, diceless system. (It had major, fundamental flaws, mind you, but me and Ryan were 15, what do you want).

Anyway, about six years later that imploded, and Ryan and I needed something new to work on, and we each had a small fortune in Star Wars books (and a strong love for the Star Wars setting), so in 2005 we created fandomcomics.com, which was a place where Ryan and myself could write Star Wars fan fic, comic books, and RPG fan supplements for the WOTC line. We did that for about eight years, generating about 5 comics, half a dozen short stories or so, and like 500 pages of the Saga Edition Clone Wars Fan Sourcebook.

Sometime during all that writing for Fandom Comics, I decided that this was a direction I wanted to really pursue, and thanks to some free time generated by a broken leg, I went back to college and got a degree in fiction writing from Columbia College Chicago. There, I was able to unlearn a few bad habits and tighten up my prose enough that when FFG held an open call for freelancers, my submission (and Ryan's also) stood out enough to get tapped to work on the FFG Star Wars line.

So yes, gaming has certainly inspired me to write in a general sense, but I don't think I have written a story about an RPG character I created after a session, though I have statted out characters I created for Fandom Comics, and those characters have been played at the table after the fact. There is absolutely a lot of back and forth. I just have more fun creating my own stories when I write. Recounting an adventure I already experienced at the table sounds a bit bard-like and tedious for my tastes, BUT, if that's what gets you writing, or gets you excited about writing, I say go for it!

As for my thoughts on writing from the gaming table in general? I think its great. Writing is like most creative pursuits, where part of the challenge is creative, and part of the challenge is technical. No matter if its writing fan fiction, or recounting the events of the table in prose, each can help a writer to hone both the creative and technical talents. There are only two ways to become a better writer, and that is to read (and read critically), and more importantly, to write (and especially, to write until you reach the end). Every time you actually finish a piece, be it a short story or adventure module or whatever. Every time you finish, and go back and edit and polish it until its "done," for me at least, it feels like leveling up, or gaining XP, or pumping a pip into that writing skill.

There are a lot of great fan supplements out there, and Star Wars specifically has a proud history of drawing talent from the ranks of the fans. Rodney Thompson, who practically ran the Saga Edition Star Wars game for WOTC, ran swrpgnetwork.com before he was hired. Dan Wallace, Pablo HIdalgo, Abel Pena, and Curtis Saxton all ran popular websites in the 90s before getting hired to work on the various reference guides and the like for the official Star Wars material. Ryan Brooks and myself are just the latest in a long line of lucky fans who won the nerd lottery, and got paid to do what they were basically doing for free online already because they loved doing it.

So I guess my message is, you should write, and see if you fall in love with it, and you should share it with the rest of us, and have fun doing it. Who knows, a few years down the road it might turn into a career.

Happy writing! And speaking of which, I have some FFG deadlines to attend to!

• Liloki, I. J. Thompson, kaosoe and 2 others like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Great thoughts and advice, KRKappel!  :)

When I was GMing WEG Star Wars back in the late '90s/early '00s, I wrote full-on prose recaps of my players' adventures in the Elrood Sector, and shared 'em (and the stats) on the linked website. My players loved them, and I loved writing them, but writing short stories of full-length adventures became such a time-sink that I eventually scaled back to screenplays, and then to first-person in-character recaps, and then... nothin'.  :unsure:

But I do love writing so much that I eventually started (like Mr. Kappel) a diceless, GM-less online game, where good writing is the order of the day, and it's been fortunate to attract several fantastic players/writers. We're coming to the end now, but we've been going at it for over six years, and it's been without a doubt the most rewarding roleplaying experience I've ever had.

#14 12 Parsecs

12 Parsecs

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

Thanks KRKappel, it's nice to hear from people who are living what I want to pursue.

I find that all my writing has to do with gaming nowadays.  I don't find much satisfaction in recording the events of a game, but I do like broadening characters from a table.  My favorite thing to do is a character mythology or ancestry.  If my character has an especially mystical bent, I find it compelling to detail out their belief structure through writing the mythos of their beliefs.

I dream of writing full-length stories and novels, but I am terribly unpracticed. 

#15 MajorTomK

MajorTomK

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

New guy here, and I've not got Edge of the Empire yet but it is on my "to buy" list.

For me writing stories about both characters and NPC is the best part of the hobby for me. Not only that, I like to create planets and their backgrounds too.

"Quit hitting me with those negative waves" - Oddball

Yellow Card warned not ignored

Red Card ignored for month

Black Book Ignored forever:

#16 The Madman

The Madman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

I write ALL THE TIME

and with FB groups, it's super easy to "Publish" little bits of story and game elements  for my players
so they say connected and "Afresh" for each session (we only play once a month)

I post 2-3 little vignettes following each session; sometimes it's only a few lines and sometimes it's a little more than a paragraph or two

considering the "Narrative" and "Cinematic" nature of the system- I'd HIGHLY encourage and recommend you write for your players, like the above poster suggested- JUST write
don't limit yourself to what you think you should or shouldn't do

Good luck! 

#17 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

I write episode recaps for my mostly-weekly Edge game. They are summary style in format which reads sort of like cliff notes. I entertain the idea of writing narrative format stories from it after the campaign eventually finishes. As of right now, the summary version of the group's adventures is already clocking in at over 42,000 words. If I converted even half of that into full-blown narrative I'd have enough for a novel-length piece that would read like a fanfic.

If you feel inspired to write, just go with it. You only get better with practise.

• MajorTomK and IDEJ like this

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#18 Kainrath

Kainrath

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

I, also, have been working on an adventure module...

you can check out the introduction here

as soon as it's done, I'll post the whole thing up here

Folio Templates

Example Character Folios

Blog (with loads of gear/items/tables)

#19 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

I now write play reports of all the games I run or play on my blog.

I've written a Star Wars RPG D6 fan supplement before, which I should convert to the FFG system one of these days. You can download it from here.

#20 Kai den Gnosis

Kai den Gnosis

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

I am an aspiring writer, but usually not for Star Wars as there really is nothing that can be done professionally with it. I was inspired by a friend's sword and sorcery rpg that caused me to start on the first of (idyllically) a series of books. That having been said I did write a short piece recently explaining how my girlfriend's character and mine start to become romantically involved. I found it was too difficult rpg'ing online to introduce the romance angle, so I wrote it up complete with snappy movie dialogue. It was fun sharing it with the other players, and I feel they liked seeing a bit of an adventure turned into an "upgraded" form of media. I now have another writer joining our group, and I might institute something where we all write a little something about our character/adventures.

Edited by Kai den Gnosis, 30 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

• kaosoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS