Photo

Rules Idea - Penalties/Bonuses for Speed?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

It's like this:

1. You want to get behind your opponent
2. To get there, you need to turn in behind them as sharply as possible
3. The faster your vector, the wider your turn has to be because geometry
4. Hence the slower you can go, the better

None of this stops being true if you have magic g-force compensators - unless they are infinitely effective.
If they are infinitely effective, it doesn't matter anymore. Whatever you do you can't get behind your opponent because they too have infinitely effective g-force compensators and can maneuver at infinite G's.

I am aware. (Although that has nothing to do woth gravity, that's just an easy way to denote acceleration.) It's inertia. And just because the cockpit is g-force compensated doesn't do anything for the ship and the incredible inertia(and thus slide) of a hard turn when accelerating at 100's or 1000's of Gs in relation to the engine force, the nertia, and however manuevering works in Star Wars. Even with G-Force compensators you can't just spin in place. The engines create momentum(lots of it, which makes turning difficult.) I've never heard of a Star Wars Pilot Whiting out, Redding Out, blacking out etc. Those limitations are gone. That doesn't remove the more mechanical limitations.(Although I'm not saying Star Wars approaches the speeds their ships move at realistically at all, but that G-force effects on pilots are not a factor.

Okay.
So to be clear, your objection to my initial post was over the bit about humans being squishy meatbags and not the tactical realities of dogfighting geometry.

Misunderstanding fixed!
Correct. Hence mentioning the whole human's not surviving much more than 10 G's or so thing. I mean, hull durability matters, but technobabble magic materials covers that too. It's too bad Star Wars didn't find out how awesome carbon was until later. Graphene and carbon nanotubes allow for some fun sci-fi.
If the ships themselves were perfectly manueverable it would be stupid. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS