Wow there is a lot thoughts about this card.
I don't have any problems with unexpected courage the way that it is. I don't mind that some cards are more 'powerful' or cheaper or easier to use than other cards - especially cards that are included in the core set... such as unexpected courage or Steward of Gondor etc...
This card is no longer an auto include for me, or others by the sounds of things. There are many different fun ways to build decks without it or Steward of Gondor or [enter name of 'overpowered' card here]. I would hope UC remains unchanged.
Can I ask why it isn't an auto include? Mndela implies that is isn't because it just isn't fun.
I also recognize that it isn't an autoinclude if you don't want ready effects on heroes (ally dwarf build for instance).
Being able to build without it does not mean it isn't overpowered.
And more importantly, doesn't mean it isn't making the design alot harder and narrower for the game designers.
For lots of reasons:
1) Many different event, attachment and even ally cards that ready heroes - Miruvor, fast Hitch, Cram, Naith Scout, Rider of the mark, Rohan/Dwarven/Leadership events (new 'Aragorn' attachment) etc..
2) Heroes with reading actions; Prince Imrahil, Sam, Tactics Boromir, Aragon, Elledan, Elrohir, Merry, Brand...
3) Ally focus rather than heroes doing everything.
4) One dimensional heroes like Eowyn who doesn't warrant readying (in most cases)
5) Soloing with the ability to strike into the staging area, negating most defending and reducing readiness requirements. ie Dunhere + weapons or Rangers/Traps/scrying
6) Mono Tactics, Leadership, Lore deck... or Mono Spirit with using Tracker styled Caldara deck; ie Eowyn doesn't warrant it, Glori has LoV & Caldara keeps
running away to get help dying)
7) Boring to use the same toys all the time.
8) Cost... there are times when 2 spirit resources are better spent else where
I agree that being able to exclude this card doesn't therefore make it not 'overpowered'. I simply don't think of it as overpowered. The variety of different options available is one of the main reason don't think of it like this.