• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yemon

Yemon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hi,

I've been playing AH for about a year and have been reading the forums for some time now. Yesterday I came across a situation I couldn't find an answer to.

I am in the middle of a 6 player solo game and I had Norman Withers in the first area of The Dreamlands with no clues holding a 'Find Gate' spell. He paid his sanity and rolled to cast the spell and completely flunks it despite his high Lore. Since he had no way to reroll the casting was a fail.

So my question is this. Does casting the spell end his movement or is he able to move to the second area of the OW? For the life of me I cannot find this discussed anywhere.

On the one hand I could see the argument that the spell is in lieu of movement, hence its movement indicator, but OTOH other movement effects such as the KIY unique item only cost 2 movement points and then the investigator can continue moving regardless of the skill check outcome (pass or fail). I am not sure if this is a direct comparison though since one is in Arkham and the other in the OW where you receive no movement points, but you are allowed to continue other turn phases after failing a spell as well.

In the end it was moot as the next encounter card sent him to LiTaS but I'd like to know for the future.

Any thoughts, rulings?

Thx

Guardian of the Gate

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

As a rule of the thumb, unless on the spell is specified something different, a "movement phase" spell doesn't end your movement phase; the label indicates when, during the turn, you're allowed to cast that spell. So, if you cast Find Gate, and you fail, you're certainly allowed to move to that OW second area

• Soakman likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Yemon

Yemon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thats how I ruled it and moved Norman but as I said it was moot as he went to LiTaS on the encounter. I just questioned the decision at the time by reading to far into it and kept debating with myself and was looking for confirmation I ruled the 'correct' way.

Thanks

BTW i enjoy your session reports. A few games ago my first mythos card was the innsmouth investigation card that removes all clues from the board and spawns gate at Devils Reef and of course the monster I pulled was a Deep One.... And I was reading Shadow over Innsmouth at the time. Sometimes I think the game is possessed based on how perfect it seems to capture relevant atmosphere.
  • The Professor and Julia like this

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Glad you like them :) And indeed, Arkham is one of the games where the theme is stronger. They did indeed a great job while transferring the tales into the game!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Yemon,

Yes, the board knows ALL!  Welcome to the Carnival! :o

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I am in the middle of a 6 player solo game...

Only in Arkham could such insanity seem commonplace. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS