Photo

No disintegrations! (Tips for flying Fett)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thread necromancy! I just read through all this, and there are a lot of good and experienced comments here. I wanted to get a sense of what people thought of a couple of ideas for house rules.

Idea 1:

When you reveal a bank or turn maneuver, you may rotate your dial to the other bank or turn maneuver of the same speed.

Idea 2:

When you reveal a maneuver other than a K-turn, you may rotate your dial to any other maneuver of the same speed that is not a K-turn.

#1 lets him do the same thing with turns as he can with banks. So it is better than what he has now, but it still may not be useful enough to really matter. Compared with other PS8 abilities this is still slightly underwhelming.

#2 Is amazing, but I'm worried it could actually be too powerful. Paired with Navigator he could select any non K-turn maneuver each round.

Just brainstorming. Thoughts?

#42 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I require a detailed mathematical analysis before I can pass judgment.

It's not easy being green.

#43 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Keeping with his actual (limited) role in the movies, his ability could have been:

NO DISINTEGRATIONS: After making an attack where 1 or more [CRITS] have been rolled, convert all [CRITS] to [HITS]. Then, add one additional [HIT].

• MajorJuggler likes this

#44 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Opening his ability up to other bearings doesn't really change the core reason his ability is underwhelming - the big base just takes up too much space to reliably have multiple places it can go.

#45 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Keeping with his actual (limited) role in the movies, his ability could have been:

NO DISINTEGRATIONS: After making an attack where 1 or more [CRITS] have been rolled, convert all [CRITS] to [HITS]. Then, add one additional [HIT].

Marksmanship would suddenly be terrifying!

Edit: Unless you mean that he has to only perform this on unmodified dice.

Edited by MajorJuggler, 29 April 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#46 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Marksmanship would suddenly be terrifying!

Edit: Unless you mean that he has to only perform this on unmodified dice.

Might be safer to tie it to unmodified dice, but for the price you're paying for Fett, I could see it either way. Marksmanship still doesn't guarantee crits, so it's not that overpowering to make it a universal ability.

#47 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

I like it, but it might be too similar to HLC. You're basically trading crits for an extra red die, though in this case it's a guaranteed hit. That would be an arguably better version of a 7 point upgrade that you're getting (almost) for free. 

#48 R2ShihTzu

R2ShihTzu

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

I like it, but it might be too similar to HLC. You're basically trading crits for an extra red die, though in this case it's a guaranteed hit. That would be an arguably better version of a 7 point upgrade that you're getting (almost) for free. 

To keep it different from HLC (beyond just the 4 dice and denial of R3 bonus Defense die from secondary weapon), you could rewrite it as follows: "After making an attack with 1 or more [CRITS], you may convert all [CRITS] to [HITS], and may then convert one [BLANK] to [HIT]."

Same basic effect, but the total hits are capped (can't exceed the dice rolled) and only triggers when you roll a crit AND a blank.

#49 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Honestly, I'd be content with something extremely simple. Being able to fire secondary weapons out of your rear arc would be a nice place to start, either as a pilot ability or the weapon itself. Preferably the former, so I could actually get some use out of Autoblaster. Come to think of it, maybe that should have been the Slave-1 title. Kath + Autoblaster + EH + rear arc secondaries? Yes please.

FFG: it's not too late to redeem yourselves. Surely there are other titled Firesprays out there...

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 30 April 2014 - 05:09 PM.

• InvestFDC likes this

#50 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Would a Fettigator build be viable with something like Outmaneuver?

Outmaneuver granted Wedge's ability when you are outside of the enemy's arc. It doesn't specify forward arc, so it should work with the Firespray's rear arc.

Unfortunately, the huge base of the Firespray, along with the fact that you won't have many supporting ships after spending 44 points on Boba, may hurt your chances of actually finding yourself clear of enemy arcs.
  • IvlerIin likes this

REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 Z95 Headhunter, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290

IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#51 aArendsvark

aArendsvark

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

I can occasionally make use of Fett's ability when running expert handling on him.  After a barrel roll, you need a green maneuver to clear stress.  A savvy opponent will look to block fett, removing his action.  the ability to pick a bank and switch it IF the opponent is blocking you, then barrel roll back behind them is pretty handy when it works.  If you're in the middle of a cluster of asteroids, or if there are a ton of ships left, then no, he's not going to be able to use his ability that much.  But as a dogfighter, esp. with Rebel Captive, he can be a superb and unpredictable closer. 

#52 cubby09

cubby09

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Ok so I have used Kath with EH and RC and love it. I am intrigued about using Fett +EH +nav. unless im missing something  It seems like if I choose a bank everytime I can do ANY manuever other than straight and still barrel roll (unless said manuever was red). He is PS 8 so he will be moving after just about every other ship and can see the playing field laid out before him before moving.How is that not kickass? in this case i think fett>Kath.

"I can hold it.....no, I'm alrigh......agghhh!" 

-The Death of Porkins

Imperial 1 Tie advanced, 1interceptor, 1 bomber, 1 firespray, 2 Lambda, 7 ties, 2 aces

Rebel 4 x-wings, 2 y-wings, 3 b-wing, 1 HWK, 2 Falcons, 3 A-wing, GR-75

#53 InvestFDC

InvestFDC

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Probably should have just said Boba ins't affected by asteroid or ship collisions...

#54 Herowannabe

Herowannabe

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

You know, after starting this thread and getting some feedback I've been playing with Kath a lot. I like her ability, but the thing is, in probably a half dozen games with her so far I have seen it kick in only one or maybe two times. Usually when I roll a crit it doesn't get cancelled (because of the regular hits getting cancelled first) so the ability doesn't get triggered. Which is fine, but...

... To all of you who argue that Kath > Fett simply because you rarely ever get to make use of Boba's ability, I say "Phooey to you."

#55 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

I just saw this - http://www.fantasyfl...s/boba-fett.png - and wondered how it might translate into X-Wing. I'm thinking something along these lines:

Whenever this ship makes an attack that hits, remove all stress tokens from it.

#56 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

Fett, PtL, Gunner, Engine Upgrade, Seismic Charges

Kath, Marksmanship, Gunner

Thoughts?

EPIC BREAKFAST:  2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 fried bread, 2 toast, 1 black pudding, 1 fried tomato, 67 baked beans, 6 mushrooms, sprig of parsley, 1 black coffee (pot)

#57 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

I just saw this - http://www.fantasyfl...s/boba-fett.png - and wondered how it might translate into X-Wing. I'm thinking something along these lines:

Another interpretation could be if you succeed at an attack, make another primary attack, Probably give it the gunner clause of no more attacks this round, to limit it a bit. The intention of the SW:LCG version is, I assume, to be able to attack twice.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#58 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Another interpretation could be if you succeed at an attack, make another primary attack, Probably give it the gunner clause of no more attacks this round, to limit it a bit. The intention of the SW:LCG version is, I assume, to be able to attack twice.

That would be very broken... I like the idea that When you hit with an attack you may remove one token from your ship.  IF you remove a critical hit token flip that critical card over.  gets rid of ions, enemy Target locks, Stress, and flips crits.  Not broken, but very very good.

Edited by Aminar, 06 June 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#59 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

It'd be strong, but it could be costed appropriately.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#60 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

That's what the LCG article says, though I don't pretend to know the first thing about the game. Well, that's not entirely true. My vague understanding was that focus tokens act similarly to tapping in Magic, meaning that a character who is already focused cannot attack. My interpretation is that the character is spent, either mentally or physically, and thus unable to perform again the same turn. That's why I translated it into stress rather than an additional attack, and I think removing stress - especially in the upcoming meta - would be far and away the more balanced alternative.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 06 June 2014 - 05:57 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS