Photo

What does people think about the new cover?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

So having found a picture of the new cover today, yes I am slow like that, must I say that I am rather disappointed over how the new edition looks. It is like someone have taken a lesson from the GW guys in cover making, making it look like an action movie instead of showcasing a little piece of the awesome setting that we know and love.

But what do you other think about the new cover?

DH19.jpg

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

#2 Snowman0147

Snowman0147

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Why would it replace the inquisitor?  Shouldn't he be in the front?

#3 Lautrer

Lautrer

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

I like the cover! It rocks! Thinking about making a shirt with the logo on it. -_-

• Lynata likes this

Ei, ja ja jaaaaa! FC Kaiserslautern!

Wir singen und tanzen

auf jedem Fussballplatz.

Ein Schuss, ein Tor, die Lautrer!

#4 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

The art is very arty, I'm sure, but I'd prefer a solid black or white cover with a clear, non-fancy font and at most a minimalist =I= logo.
  • Tenebrae likes this

#5 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

I don't like the red outline of the =I=. Other than that, I like in particular the new GM Screen:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4763

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#6 MajorTomK

MajorTomK

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Admittedly, I'd rather it looked like this:

DH20-Book-Right.png

• yggZ, Green Knight, Adeptus-B and 5 others like this

"Quit hitting me with those negative waves" - Oddball

Yellow Card warned not ignored

Red Card ignored for month

Black Book Ignored forever:

#7 Kainus

Kainus

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I am actually deeply in love with it. Seriously. I may actually buy the GM screen just for the art and design itself.

I was about to start a thread about it, haha.

"The union of art and action is death." -Yukio Mishima
Roleplaying games are the most tragic artform.
They represent the death of the folkloric tradition, the understanding that beuacracy touches our identity in ways that the individual can not seperate from themselves. That we can become abstracted into statistics so easily, yet we still demand to tell stories in light of this- because of this. The distinction between human and system has become seamless.
When we roleplay together, we mourn ourselves- how we can no longer communicate without a defined social system- be it race, gender, class, consumer, employer, Game Master, or player. We mourn our human synthesis with systems by employing them to tell stories. It helps us embrace our modern humanity like no other artform.

#8 khimaera

khimaera

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

So having found a picture of the new cover today, yes I am slow like that, must I say that I am rather disappointed over how the new edition looks. It is like someone have taken a lesson from the GW guys in cover making, making it look like an action movie instead of showcasing a little piece of the awesome setting that we know and love.

But what do you other think about the new cover?

DH19.jpg

This doesn't look like an action movie to me. In fact, I'm fairly certain its using some recycled artwork that was used in DH 1st Ed of an Inquisitorial Tribunal.  Not the most exciting idea, recycling art, but at least it's appropriate.  I don't actually mind the new cover but for some reason the first thing I thought when I saw it was,"That kinda looks like a textbook cover."
Upon further review I couldn't put my finger on why exactly I felt that way. It looks nothing like a textbook and I'm a fan of the wraparound art layout but something about the new cover seems a little odd to me.

Edited by khimaera, 20 April 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#9 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

It looks nothing like a textbook and I'm a fan of the wraparound art layout but something about the new cover seems a little odd to me.

I like the look of it overall, but I find having the title at the bottom of the cover to be a bit off.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#10 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

I'm with Simsum here.

But then, I do tend toward minimalist designs.

#11 Alrik Vas

Alrik Vas

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

I like it.  They put the heresy on the cover...HERESY I say!

#12 Snowman0147

Snowman0147

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Wait a minute how come the GM Kit gets a better cover design than the core book which we all know the core book is the main selling point?  I have to agree with MajorTomK in that the kit looks better.  I rather go with the MajorTomK route, or go with minimum stuff than what we have for a cover now.

Edited by Snowman0147, 21 April 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• segara82, yggZ and Tenebrae like this

#13 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

I don't dislike it, but I would have preferred the red outline be white or metallic silver instead.

And I also like the GM Screen better...

#14 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

I love both.

Edited by Keffisch, 23 April 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#15 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

To clarify, the GM Kit cover is good but I also like the 'blood-soaked hive' look of the GM Screen.

DH20-mockup-screen.png

Again, the red outline of the =I= is not great but otherwise it's pretty cool.

Alex

• Green Knight likes this

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#16 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Looks pretty good to me.

#17 InquisitorAlexel

InquisitorAlexel

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Wait a minute how come the GM Kit gets a better cover design than the core book which we all know the core book is the main selling point?  

Well, it simply isn't better. Its a question of taste, at this point. I personnaly think that the book is perfect like that and samething for the GM screen. People that designed it thought like this too. You don't, and others don't.

I personnaly like the overall look of all this. It has a more modern thing to it. I can't wait to get the new edition!

#18 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

The Cover seems Appropriate to me. It reflects the insanity and danger covered by the Inquisition!

• Lynata likes this

#19 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

I actually like that cover very much. It's much more intriguing than the fat guy in power armor that made it to the cover of the GM kit.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#20 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

I don't like it. Makes me think chaos for some reason. Not Inquisition. Too much red outline on the logo.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS