Rumor Cards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

After reviewing the rulebook for Labyrinth of Ruin and Lair of the Wyrm there was some confusion about completing a rumor quest.

Question: After completing a rumor quest during a campaign (LoR), the rumor quest victory results state the next quest to set up. Is this applicable during a campaign?

I thought you only have access to specific quests, not the entire mini-campaign within a major campaign. I suppose with house rules it could be done but wanted to know how everyone else interprets official rules.

Thanks!

#2 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

The act 2 follow up card is placed into play, and is available for act 2. That's all, the rest of the mini campaign is not available.

#3 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

The best way to think of it is that the Act II Advanced Quest cards are like the Quest Rumor Cards that you don't draw and don't have a choice in playing; they either come into play as a victory condition for the initial Act I Rumor Card quest, or they don't.

Another thing to keep in mind (because it's an oft-misunderstood rule) is that the Rumor quests DO NOT award XP in the campaign. You may already know, but if not, I figure it's better to get it out there.

Cheers!

#4 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Another thing to keep in mind (because it's an oft-misunderstood rule) is that the Rumor quests DO NOT award XP in the campaign. You may already know, but if not, I figure it's better to get it out there.

For the "At the Forge" advanced quest, the book states that the heroes get all rewards listed in the book and on the card- and that seems to include 1XP. does this not apply, or is this a special case?

#5 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

For the "At the Forge" advanced quest, the book states that the heroes get all rewards listed in the book and on the card- and that seems to include 1XP. does this not apply, or is this a special case?

Ah, in the case of where the quest specifically lists XP, then yes. A lot of people think that the part of the rulebook that says "everyone gets 1 XP regardless" also applies to the rumor quests, but it doesn't as it's just a clarification saying "Don't worry about losing, all included quests so far will give you 1 XP anyway" because they miss the "as listed in the quest guide" bit.

#6 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification all!

To summarize (and ensure I understand correctly):

1. Overlord plays a rumor card that provides an available quest.

2. Assume heroes win the "rumor" quest and that the quest states the next quest to be played.

3. This new quest is now available as an advanced quest card but is not in and of itself a rumor.

Most of the optional side quests do not provide xp but they do provide more gold and opportunities for the heroes to acquire shop items. Relics seem to be the major reason to do the side quests which could benefit either hero or overlord.

I think we were hung up on the "proceed to quest x" when really in a campaign it should be interpreted as "quest x is now available quest" where applicable.

#7 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

That sounds about right to me.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS