• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Morning FFG Community..

We're creating a unique project where we are building various Deathwatch characters into a virtual real-time strategy game similar to something like Starcraft.

We have a small few units that need to be scripted as if like dialogue written for a game so events like Unit_Complete, Selection, Move, Attack, and Death...

Here are the Deathwatch vehicles we need scripted:

Razorback

Damocles Command Rhino

Inquisitiorial Chimera
Land Speeder (Storm)
Dreadnought
Dreadnought Venerable
Predator

Inquisitiorial Leman Russ
Whirlwind
Vindicator
Land Raider
Storm Raven

We need written in the quantity required for each of the above:

7x Unit_Complete (when unit is first built on the battlefield)
7x Selection (when players clicks the idle unit)
7x Move (commands the unit to move)
7x Attack (commands the unit to attack an enemy)
4x Charge (unit issues a battlecry thrusting towards the enemy)
2x Jump_Teleport (command unit to teleport or jump quick to an area used mainly for Skimmers and Fliers like Landspeeders and Storm Raven only.)
5x Ability (3x is a targettable aggressive ability while 2x is a passive support/healing ability)
4x Combat (issue taunting or passionate battle cries while deep in close combat)
4x Death (unit issues its last breath)

So for example..

For a Space Wolves Standard Bearer we could script something like:

Unit_Complete1: By the Glory of Russ, your Flag Bearer stands before you, brothers!
Selection1: Where's that damn Ale you promised? Sitting around is getting me all thirsty!
Join1: Battle brothers, with me! Stand by your Flag!
Morale_Break1: We are Space Wolves! We do not know retreat!

Note: The above lines for Join1 or Morale_Break1 are meant for Commanders as vehicles generally do have these hence why they are omitted from the list of required lines for vehicles.

Any questions please let me know and thank you FFG Community!

Edited by thudo, 17 April 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Various events regarding vehicles should feature a Techmarine's voice, in particular Unit_Complete.

At least for several of the 7 lines. And there might be other events for which that applies too.

Alex

PS Standard Bearer, not Flag Bearer. ;)

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#3 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Alex!

Hmm except Techmarines do not drive or ride on the vehicles per se. Its almost always the Commander or Driver (generally a standard Astartes) talking. Techmarines might come along on the battlefield to commence repairs or, in the case of the Ordo Xenos, also scavenge alien artifacts and send them back so the Inquisition can re-use them. Anyway standard Astartes and Techmarines generally sound the same of course in terms of vox.

As for the Standard verse Flag.. yeah that is a technicality really as the standard is actually a flag or holy relic to the Chapter it represents but to keep some lines from sounding the same there might be a case to call himself a Flag Bearer rather than the same boring label just to add some variety. Yeah it should be Standard or Banner Bearer as Flag Bearer is more a term for the Imperium via Regimental Standard but for an Astartes having saying it "very" infrequently shouldn't hurt the fluff too much.

Still no one who wants to help us script DW character dialogue for the vehicles?

Edited by thudo, 16 April 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#4 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

I'm happy to do it

• Intellect is the Understanding of Knowledge.
  • Sentience is the Basest Form of Intellect.
  • Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
  • Comprehension is the Key to all Things

#5 musungu

musungu

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

I'd gladly chip in, too. Where do you want go get the contributions? In the thread?

Edit: Also, a vehicle's completion or death can be announced by a Techmarine voice easily - after all, he's in charge of delivering them to the battlefield and repair or salvage them, like you said.

So right off the top of my head I imagine something like this:

Unit_Complete1: The sacred incantations and benedictions are complete.

Unit_Complete2: The venerable machine spirit is now ready to make war.

Death1: The sacred machine spirit has done its duty to Him on Terra. Have you?

Edited by musungu, 17 April 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#6 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

Thanks Alex!

Hmm except Techmarines do not drive or ride on the vehicles per se. Its almost always the Commander or Driver (generally a standard Astartes) talking. Techmarines might come along on the battlefield to commence repairs or, in the case of the Ordo Xenos, also scavenge alien artifacts and send them back so the Inquisition can re-use them. Anyway standard Astartes and Techmarines generally sound the same of course in terms of vox.

Depends on whether the Techmarine still has vocal chords. ;)

For possible reference:

Maybe it's just the groups I am playing in but in DW RPG, the Techmarine is usually tasked (and very eager) to manage gear, especially such hallowed gear as a Rhino or, Emperor almighty, a Land Raider. But ultimately it all comes down to what you like and prefer. There's plenty of wiggle room for personal taste.

Alex

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#7 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Cail and Musungu.. Shall I PM either of you to divy up the Deathwatch vehicles?

These are true Alien Hunters/Ordo Xenos taken as the best Astartes from many chapters BUT right now we simply want generic-ish dialogue as its impossible to have all Chapter represented in a single vehicle let alone it would confuse the heck out of the player when then click the unit and one instance its Blood Angels and the next its White Scars so we opted for a more balanced approach where all lines are scripted generic THEN I'll add in random Chapter lines that signify a chapter somewhere for the vehicle. Deathwatch is much more complex to deal with then a single chapter because at least with a chapter you know its consistent but Deathwatch can procure the best from them all.

So Cail.. if you want to handle the Deathwatch Razorback to Venerable Dreadnought and Musungu from Predator to Storm Raven (leave out the Land Raider for now as I might script that one myself as Deathwatch uses four signiture variants: Crusader, Redeemer, Prometheus, and Godhammer but I see more use for the Prometheus since Deathwatch operates in small surgeric teams so using pinpoint intelligence would be utterly deadly combo for the DW).

@Ak-23 - Yeah generally we have standard Space Marines acting as Commanders and Pilots for vehicles. Techmarines usually are either seperate units on the battlefield or used as virtual character abilities like a repair option or Machine Spirit boost.

Thanks everyone!

#8 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Forgot to add above: Damocles Command Rhino, Inquisitiorial Chimera, and Leman Russ to the list.

Edited by thudo, 17 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#9 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

Would it be possible for you to PM me a list of the abilities for the units in question. Currently I feel like the description is too vague to write anything meaningful

Thanks

• Intellect is the Understanding of Knowledge.
  • Sentience is the Basest Form of Intellect.
  • Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
  • Comprehension is the Key to all Things

#10 musungu

musungu

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

I second that.

#11 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yep! I will do that for both of you. However abilities for a vehicle should follow what is standard in the TT rulebook for each ie. Razorback can launch smoke grenades to allow affected friendlies special bonuses OR H-K Missiles OR Dozer Blade for ramming whereas a Vindicator can load special shells (but standard Demolisher Shells is most common) and have use of a Siege Shield (yeah Vindicators can also use what Razorback can but then it becomes a little IMBA). Damocles I mentioned has many specialities like coordinating troops to hit a specific target, jamming beacon, pinpoint orbital strikes, etc..

However, for now, concentrate on all the other events per vehicle EXCEPT for abilities.. I would say thats priority then Abilities right now. Appreciate this immensely!

Edited by thudo, 18 April 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#12 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Update... thanks to both Cail and Musungu we are moving ahead on the Deathwatch vehicles.

Now another aspect we need looked at will also bring out the creative side of all Deathwatch players: battlefield spottings.

We need between 2-3 battlefield spottings for when the Ordo Xenos discovers the presence of a specific faction/species on the battlefield. This will likely be said at the point of view of a High Inquisitor overviewing the field of war.

So for example.. when the Ordo Xenos discover that the Eldar are operating on the map around where they are the High Inquisitor may say:

"Vile Alien Witches! These wretched psykers will likely offer plenty of useful pieces for Inquisitorial inspection! We must have them!"

We could also throw in a comment from the point of view of a Space Wolf Deathwatch Marine spotting, say, Dark Angels on the battlefield:

"Bah! Bastard sons of the Lion have fallen to the taint! Curse their Primarch and let the Ordo Xenos finally dispatch those robed fools from these lands!"

This should be a good creative exercise and will add considerable personality to the Deathwatch.

Here is the full list!

SPOTTINGS (3 of each - spoken by either Male or Female Grand/High Inquisitor, Watch Captain OR infantry such as a Kill-Marine - depends on how some specific faction Marines may speak up against other factions due to past historic grievances.):

Vanilla Factions
Chaos
Dark Eldar
Eldar
Imperial Guard
Necrons
Orks
Sisters of Battle
Space Marines
Tau

User Factions

Space Marine Chapters
Black Templars
Blood Angels
Blood Ravens
Crimson Fists
Dark Angels

Deathwatch
Fallen Angels
Imperial Fists
Iron Hands
Legion of the Damned
Raven Guard
Red Scorpions
Salamanders
Space Wolves/13th Company
UltraMarines
White Scars

Chaos Legions
Alpha Legion
Black Legion
Blood Pact
Death Guard
Emperors Children
Iron Warriors
Night Lords
Red Corsairs
Renegades
Thousand Sons
Traitor (Imperial) Guard
World Eaters
Word Bearers

Imperial Guard
Adapteus Mechanicus
Catachan
Death Korps of Kreig
Elysians
Harakoni Warhawks
Kanak Skull Takers
Last Chancer's/13th Penal Legion
Mordians
PDF
Praetorian
Steel Legions
Tallarns
Tanith First & Only (Gaunt's Ghosts)
Vahallans
Vostroyans

Eldar
Harlequins

Inquisition
Inquisition Daemonhunt
WitchHunters

Other
Genestealer Cult
Tyranids

Misc
Daemon (need 3x)
Monstrosity (need 3x)
Enemy (need 8x)
Tanks(need 3x)

Thanks Community!

Edited by thudo, 23 April 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#13 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Any takers on those spottings above? Thank everyone!

#14 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Still no takers for the Deatwatch spottings as mentioned above?

#15 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Anyone from FFG interested in spotting above? Thought this might be fun creative exercise.

#16 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm no RTS fan myself but I think you should be doing some more marketing. Screenshots, some vids of the alpha, etc. Convince people that it's going to be good and that you will finish what you started.

The FFG folks are probably busy with DH 2 right now. And maybe with whatever comes next. My guess only.

I trust you did take care of legal (licensing) issues?

Alex

#17 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Anyone from FFG interested in spotting above?

FYI: FFG writers typically don't read the forum so if you want to directly get in touch with FFG you should use more official channels. The one freelancer I remember being a frequent forum contributor is no longer a freelancer with FFG, at any rate.

#18 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

We're working on some screenshots and such just to show it is active. I'm handling the voicing piece just so that it is completed.

All legal aspects were dealt with years ago so everything is above board.

@Kshatriya... to which are the more "official" channels? At this stage we do not much to do now just the final bits..

#19 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm not sure what I meant by that now since I doubt the FFG company would want to officially get involved (if you wanted them to). I don't think there's a good way to get in touch with FFG unless it's for FFG-relevant business (i.e. submitting rule adjudications to their help desk). 

#20 thudo

thudo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Except this is meant as a community project so its being done peace-meal but in a professional manner so the end-result will be useable for all time within the scope of War40k. We would simply prefer to have a hand-select group of script-writers to assist just for a real short period then I will have it all voiced professionally and we're done. We've done all major SM, CSM, IG, and Xenos this way for 5+ years and Deathwatch is the final one to do.

Myself, I am currently script writing the new 7th Codex Astra Militarum (next-gen Imperial Guard) compromising the updated Storm Troopers (Scions), Tarox/Tarox Prime (Chimera replacement), and the Wyverm (updated Flakk Cannon). However its always best to get others in the world community involved so we offer a new refreshing perspective within the voice script/dialogues we write. ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS