Firelands Tokens

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Harrek9

Harrek9

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Played our first game with the new expansion last night.  But all players thought the fireland tokens are a bit over powered.  We could not find a way in the rules to remove them.  Are there any ways?  Once placed are they on the board for the rest of the game?

#2 Ancient Virus

Ancient Virus

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi Harrek9,

There are a few different ways which either allow or instruct you to remove Fireland tokens.

I don't have the cards with me right now but I recall that upon defeating the Ifrit Sultan, you are instructed to remove all tokens in the same region as the Sultan.

There is a also a card called Marid Sultan I beleive which allows you to move a fireland token from any space to that card where its effects are negated. I think you can place up to four tokens on it before it must be discarded.

There are also a few spells which can remove Fireland tokens and an item or two can allow you to either move or ignore them.

It doesn't seem like you went through many of the new adventure cards or spells if none of these came out, unless of course you were using other expansions/adventure cards.

On a life long Warlock Quest

#3 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Try using this alternative rule:

Fireland tokens only make a character lose a life at the end of his turn if, and only if, the character encountered the space; if the character encountered another character on the space no life is lost.

Ell.

#4 Harrek9

Harrek9

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

We were using all of the expansions other than the dragon.  So we didn't nearly get through all the spells or adventure cards.

We were thinking of alternate rules, just wanted to see if there was something more obvious that we missed that caused them to be removed.  One thing we did do is when we had to move a "ruins" location because we didn't have any more available, we moved the fire token with it and did not leave it in the space where it was.

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

There are several ways to remove Fireland tokens, or to be unaffected by them:

2x Restore the World Spells

2x Restoring Rains Event

1x Dousing Rod

1x Marid Sultana

1x Ifrit Sultan (if defeated)

1x Taweez Amulet (if discarded)

Atlas of Al-Balkhi can move the fireland tokens to different spaces

Ifrit Cloak gives you immunity from fireland tokens

Extinguish Spell gives temporary immunity

Since you play with all expansions, I can hardly think that you can have more than 5 tokens on the board without the chance to removing any of them. In my last 2-player game, we placed 7 tokens and removed one of them during the game, but we were playing with Firelands, Frostmarch and base game Adventure Cards. This obviously made life on the main board a bit harder than usual, but that's what Firelands is supposed to add to the game.

I wonder what you will say if someone draws Ifrit Sultan during the early game...

Edited by The_Warlock, 16 April 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#6 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

I played 1 game so far with all expansions, and we only had 2 tokens out.

Edited by DomaGB, 16 April 2014 - 04:58 PM.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#7 Harrek9

Harrek9

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hey, I'm not complaining here, I was just asking if we were missing something obvious.  With 4 players the adventure cards did not come fast and furious to get to the removal items.  We must have just lucked out and gotten the ones that placed the flames first.  In addition we had no one that automatically had spells to use, so we had very few spells being cast and never got to those as well.

#8 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

I loved the firelands expansion. Mostly, I think, because we choose to play with cards only from the base game and fireland exp. (Both spells and adventure cards). In my opinion it works best to play all additions from expansions (quests, quest rewards, the reaper etc.) but the cards, which should be used in combinations (the fewer the better) to give the expansions real impact on the game. Thus, our firelands games have been running really smooth with adding and removing tokens.

#9 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Hey, I'm not complaining here, I was just asking if we were missing something obvious.  With 4 players the adventure cards did not come fast and furious to get to the removal items.  We must have just lucked out and gotten the ones that placed the flames first.  In addition we had no one that automatically had spells to use, so we had very few spells being cast and never got to those as well.

And I'm not trying to minimize your observations. It is true that fireland tokens add great danger to the game, especially with many players and if no cards to remove tokens are drawn. They can also make the main board a place where you don't want to be. Once we had to leave the board and enter the Dungeon to survive, which is quite a weird thing to say.

Of course there are different feedbacks from other players, that use all expansions just like you, that say they see too few firelands tokens and card burning in their games, so the impression can be very different depending on which cards are drawn.

#10 Harrek9

Harrek9

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

And I'm not trying to minimize your observations. It is true that fireland tokens add great danger to the game, especially with many players and if no cards to remove tokens are drawn. They can also make the main board a place where you don't want to be. Once we had to leave the board and enter the Dungeon to survive, which is quite a weird thing to say.

Of course there are different feedbacks from other players, that use all expansions just like you, that say they see too few firelands tokens and card burning in their games, so the impression can be very different depending on which cards are drawn.

And danger is good!  It did make the game more exciting.  And when you moved rarely did you HAVE to land on a fire spot, you always had another choice.  We did have people run to the highlands also to avoid them as well.  The troll had a field day in there.  It was quite fun watching people decide to land or not land on a space turned into the ruins to draw 2 cards even though they were going to lose a life doing it because of the fire symbol on it!  We also had the added bonus that the sentinel spot was changed to a ruins spot very early so people could move up to the middle region freely as well.

#11 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

In 3 games with all the expansions we have only seen 6 or 7 tokens on the board(not counting spreading flames ending), and only once did someone land on one.  It is a great expansion but definitely diluted with all expansions.  For better or worse I have a second copy coming and am going to put additional cards into the deck and use some of the other cards to sticker paper with Unofficial expansions.  I wanted more terrain cards too!  :-)  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS