Second Edition Announced

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

Second Edition has been announced finally. The website is up, it'll be out in third quarter. Dan Abnett apparently wrote a short story as an introduction to the book about acolytes daily life and I think a little of the new sector.

Thoughts? Will you be getting it? I will if anything for the fluff.

Note this is not an edition wars thread, it's coming whether you want it or not.

• Green Knight likes this

#2 Green Knight

Green Knight

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

I'm getting it - and switching to the new system.

Settingwise: Maybe the new sector will be super-cool. If not, I'm sure there will be good stuff to plunder.

#3 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Will definitely get it. Though will likely wait to switch systems, until my current campaigns/characters have run their course, and I'm done with them.

#4 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Well... I'll certainly buy it and will finish the campaign I'm writing with the old system... but then again, I'll probably steal some stuff for houserules, so whatever. 

#5 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, I'll buy it. A lot of the people I play with moved away from DH1 due to the levelling system, the aptitude system alleviates that so I might be able to spark interest again.

• Intellect is the Understanding of Knowledge.
  • Sentience is the Basest Form of Intellect.
  • Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
  • Comprehension is the Key to all Things

#6 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Since i already have most OW books I won't since the apptitude system IMO works worse than the level system. And the ridiculous amount of talents getting added with every new book is worse than back in D&D 3(.5).

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#7 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

Since i already have most OW books I won't since the apptitude system IMO works worse than the level system.

:o
I'm going to have to disagree with that. For me, it works acceptably.
And the level system (any level system, really) is bad.
But I suppose we'll just have to disagree.

And the ridiculous amount of talents getting added with every new book is worse than back in D&D 3(.5).

On this we do agree.

#8 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Will definitely get it. Though will likely wait to switch systems, until my current campaigns/characters have run their course, and I'm done with them.

Yeah, me too. My players are just shy of Ascension level, so it may not be too much longer before the wheels fall off...

#9 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

When I get my hands on second edition I know for sure that I'm going to start to work on getting my presetn Black Crusade camapaign to an end so that I can start with this. And it reminds me that I need to seriously speed up the construction of my own sector.

#10 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

DH 1 does have a level system, but I am less bothered by it than in d20 say, as it still allows continuous improvement, rather than the rather odd d20 system of "Suddenly I am arbitrarily better at almost everything." The one advantage the rank system does have is that it allows certain abilities to be designed that just say "This is for badasses. You have to have earned this ability to get it." 40k RPG has some Talents (as it is Talents I am mostly talking about here) which are just flat out better than others. The older system made sure those were only available for appropriate characters, and meant that you might select what was an otherwise inferior option as you simply didn't have access to a better one. Now they have to try and "balance" the abilities against each other by cost, as everyone has access if they want to.

• ak-73, Cymbel and ColArana like this

#11 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Actually prefer Ranks to Rankless - mostly because it makes more sense.  A character whose job is being good at something has access to advances that make them better at their job, which works for me.  Rankless can lead to the odd situation whereby, as a friend put it, 'you pick fifty locks and can suddenly punch people's heads off'.  

#12 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

I'm definitely going to buy it, though whether or not I'll get to actually use it will depend on my players.  Since I've never run the first edition, I have no frame of reference to consider the new rules either better or worse.

#13 Damuth

Damuth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm getting it.  No idea if I will be using it.  Depends if I can find a way to change the characters from 1st Ed to 2nd Ed without too much hassle.

#14 Sebastian Traitor

Sebastian Traitor

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:07 AM

Will be redone the Sisters of Battle in the new edition?

#15 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

I'll be buying the new edition. My group has been playing with the beta for the past several months, and we're enjoying it immensely. I don't think we'll be moving to the Askellon (new) Sector until we start a new campaign, but I can certainly borrow bits of new fluff and incorporate it into Calixis Sector adventures.

I'm getting it.  No idea if I will be using it.  Depends if I can find a way to change the characters from 1st Ed to 2nd Ed without too much hassle.

Switching characters from 1st to 2nd edition will require some work, but it certainly won't be impossible. Some skills have been consolidated together and many talents introduced in DH 1 expansion books aren't included, but it's still a 40k RPG. The character creation options are flexible enough that you should be able to represent just about any 1st edition character in 2nd edition.

If your players took a lot of advances from expansion books, things will be a little more difficult. Many of the more exotic options from expansions aren't included in the core game for space reasons, so you may have to recreate such characters from scratch.

Psykers are very different in the new edition of DH though. If a player has a psyker character, it's best to just recreate that character from scratch.

Will be redone the Sisters of Battle in the new edition?

There is no specific Sororitas class, but you can combine the Ministorum background and the Warrior role to represent a Battle Sister. They won't start with a bolter and power armor (a good thing, IMO) and there are no Faith talents in the new edition, but there's nothing stopping you from making a Sororitas character.

• segara82 and Damuth like this

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS