Flight-from-Moria-Nightmare-SetupA.png

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#42 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

Abandoned-Tools.png

Search-for-an-Exit-Escape-from-Darkness.

And there is nothing in the FAQ that says you can't exhaust Boromir 4 times. But

You are correct about the Nightmare Quest FFM. Then you can't exhaust 4 times. Flight-from-Moria-Nightmare-SetupA.png

Lorecraving to the pits of Angband!

I may be a fool, but at least I'm an honest fool!

“Home is now behind you, the world is ahead!”  - Gandalf

#43 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

Seems like indisputable scientific evidence about the tools.

Also:

Has someone claimed that you can´t exhaust Boromir 4 times? :P

#44 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Seems like indisputable scientific evidence about the tools.

Also:

Has someone claimed that you can´t exhaust Boromir 4 times? :P

Yes  :ph34r:  Okay, maybe not.

Lorecraving to the pits of Angband!

I may be a fool, but at least I'm an honest fool!

“Home is now behind you, the world is ahead!”  - Gandalf

#45 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

Last round in Rivendel Nmare, 3 players, we were going good, very good. But a Crevain is in staging. One has Test of Will but cant use. We fear the worst: an sleeping centry or Orc ambush. Omg! We can't kill it!!! No Hands upon the Bow, one Thorondor, but not enough to kill it..., no way. One friend says: i have .... (which would you think? ^^): Saruman!!! All people raising 3 points saying 'yeah! sure!'. Crevain was out of game and we could cancel treachery. Finally next cards revealed weren't nasty treachery, but anyway: Saruman was EPIC.

Edited by Mndela, 28 November 2014 - 05:30 PM.

• TwiceBornh and danpoage like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#46 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yes Saruman is quite interesting card. Give you a lot if versatility in different ways. 1 card per deck very useful.
  • danpoage likes this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#47 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Had a pretty epic moment today with GrandSpleen.  We were playing A Knife in the Dark campaign mode and I was running Galadriel/Pippin/Sam to go with his Celeborn/Haldir/Legolas.  We were about to clear Midgewater and quest phase 2B and make our way onto quest phase 3 where you add all the Nazgul to the staging area.

We were in pretty good shape and our threats were low enough that we wouldn't have to engage the Witch King or a couple of the nazgul.  Unfortunately there were already 2 spys in the staging area because we had to travel to Midgewater.  So, we would probably have to fight 2 or 3 spys and 2 nazgul this turn.  Not great, but manageable.  We commit to the quest and what comes out?

Squint-Eyed-Southerner.jpgUnwanted-Attention.jpg

And of course, since we are playing campaign mode:

The-Ring-Draws-Them.jpg

He drew the unwanted attention and was only questing with Celeborn, so we had to shuffle another ringwraith into the deck.  Of course, then all the Nazgul and the Witch King appeared in the staging area and immediately engaged me.  All of the sudden I had 9 enemies engaged with me, 8 of which were attacking for 4+.  Also, since I had two Riders from Mordor, all of my characters had -2 willpower, so I needed someone with 4 willpower to block the Witch King.  Luckily, Sam got +6 to all his stats from the engagement, so he was able to block without taking any damage (1 attack blocked).  Another lucky thing was that there were only 2 cards left in the deck, so I didn't have to worry about many nasty shadow effects. 

Besides Sam, all I had in play at that point was a Defender of the Naith (w/ Celeborn), a Silvan Tracker (w/ Celeborn), Galadhrim Minstrel, Bill the Pony, an exhausted Galadriel's Handmaiden, and then Sam had one more action (fast hitch) at +6 attack/defense.  The defender blocked the one lighter attack, taking no damage (2 blocked).  I played tree people to pull back the Handmaiden, ready my defender, and put another defender in play.  Now my two defenders could block two enemies with 4 attack and take one damage each (4 blocked).  Then I played feigned voices to pull back a defender (5 blocked) and ready the other defender.  The Silvan tracker blocked a 4 attack, taking 2 damage (6 blocked).  The remaining 3 were chump blocked with my remaining defender, Bill, and minstrel.  In summary, 9 enemies blocked, only 3 allies killed, no hero damage, and I even had Sam available to attack for 7 and take out a couple Nazgul with the help of Haldir, Legolas, and some archers. 

Two sneak attack Gandalfs the next round let us take out a few more enemies.  Another turn or two later and all the enemies were killed and we won the quest!

• GrandSpleen, danpoage, joezim007 and 1 other like this

#48 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

He had to put progress tokens on the enemies so we could remember which ones had already attacked.

• Teamjimby likes this

#49 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

That is pretty sweet. Gotta love Silvans! And Sam! Even though they don't tend to defend well, they somehow manage to kick butt anyway.
  • Teamjimby likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#50 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hmmmmm well you've done two things! Impress me and also further my opinion that the Gandalf hero is far too powerful  :P

Your use of Eagles of the Misty Mountains is pretty clever (no attachments to remove, more than one health and after sacrificing several other eagles they can actually block most damage from Durin's Bane altogether, especially buffed with Arwen). Thorondor is also a good pick!

So good work on your strategy and win! It does look like Gandalf was quite largely responsible however as without him you wouldn't have been able to play allies so fast. I also still don't think a nightmare deck like that should be so easily beatable.

Finally got around to trying Into Ithilien and Seige of Cair Andros Nightmare - Won Ithilien first try, and cair andros on the second attempt (bad starting draw game one, got overwhelmed too quickly). Gandalf was largely responsible there too, so yes I agree he is perhaps a bit too strong. I'm having fun playing him at the moment, but it might be better long term if he was toned down in some way.

#51 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hmmmmm well you've done two things! Impress me and also further my opinion that the Gandalf hero is far too powerful  :P

Your use of Eagles of the Misty Mountains is pretty clever (no attachments to remove, more than one health and after sacrificing several other eagles they can actually block most damage from Durin's Bane altogether, especially buffed with Arwen). Thorondor is also a good pick!

So good work on your strategy and win! It does look like Gandalf was quite largely responsible however as without him you wouldn't have been able to play allies so fast. I also still don't think a nightmare deck like that should be so easily beatable.

Don't the fallen eagles that buff Eagles of the Misty Mountains count as attachments?  I'm pretty sure Blazing Grip would take them out (although at least not undefended).

#52 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm you might be right!

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#53 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Desperate Alliance runs a lot of well with dwarfs.

Each time i play the deck that i have i usually play DA 2 or 3 times. And it helps a lot, with the next combos: Thorin with Narvi's Belt and Stewards (and Zigil). Usually Thorin gets 6 resources each round (or more, for example, Hidden Caches with Zigil, or KingUnderMountain...).

The epic moment was: 2 players, plenty of orcs, 3 orcs engaged to each one (one of the enemies was a big troll), 3 orcs in staging..., a lot of new orcs were coming... we must make a 'runyoufools' or die forever.

Ok, epic moment --> Thorin reaches up to 15 resources (Zigil + Imladris get 2 Hidden Caches, the deck had 10 cards, and Caches were returned by Ered Nimrais). The other friend had Longbeard Mapmaker. You can see the great combo:

1. Desperate Aliance

2. Narvi's Belt getting lore resources

3. Add 15 wp to the quest by Longbeard Mapmaker

And we won sure. ^^ Epic Alliance!

Edited by Mndela, 10 December 2014 - 04:09 PM.

• Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#54 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Just beat Journey in the Dark two handed without the Balrog appearing.... I thought this was nigh impossible and only doable with Dain and co/Outlands/Gandalf Hero but just did it with my Silvan/Noldor decks!!!

So insanely happy and proud of myself right now hahahaha :P

Smashed through stage 1 on the third turn, would have cleared it faster except had a bunch of Mines of Mora appear so they soaked up a lot of progress. Also managed to use Power of Orthanc to get Grevious Wound out of play after it got attached to Glorfindel. Got to stage 2 and slayed three enemies right off the bat. Then on the second turn at stage 2 I had a very worrying moment where They Are Coming appeared and I got swarmed, had to feint and feigned voices two attacks defend 2 others and take one undefended. Had a hasty stroke to cancel any additional damage from the undefended attack. Managed to slay two more enemies but came up a point short. On the start of the next turn during planning I played Galadhon Archer and sneak attack Gandalf doing 5 damage to a Mordor Uruks and putting the last resource point on Stage 3 propelling me to stage 3 and reducing the counters on doom doom doom from 5 to 3. Huge push this turn and 5 progress on stage 3. Next turn travel to The Great Bridge, clear it and put another 5 progress on Stage 3, Doom doom doom now has 1 token left on it.....

Last turn I use Gildor's ability to swap a hasty stroke for a test of will and do my last big questing push, cancel a last copy of We Cannot Get Out (that would have killed many heroes and lead to a loss) and quested to victory right before the last token could be removed from doom doom doom!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Balrog to fight and only two burdens instead of 4, no fallen hero, no need for Fortune or fate!

FIRST GODDAMN ATTEMPT AS WELL WITH MY NEW SILVAN DECK/MODIFICATIONS TO DECK SINCE IM PLAYING A NEW CAMPAIGN! Literally could not have been sweeter!

The damage I had on characters in play due to SEVERAL copies of We Cannot Get Out appearing throughout the game as well as a couple of nasty attacks early on that did damage is as following:

Lore/spirit deck:

Elrond 3 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Haldir 2 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Glorfindel 4 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Arwen 1 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Frodo Baggins 1 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Gildor Boon ally before I allowed him to leave play so I could play the Lore ally version, 2 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Tactics/Leadership Deck

Celeborn 3 damage, only 1 hitpoint remaining

Elrohir, 4 damage, only 2 hitpoints remaining (elven mail attached)

Elladan, 2 damage, only 2 hitpoints remaining

So literally a single extra point of damage to most heroes would have resulted in a fallen hero and loss (the plan was to replay the stage till I could advance with only two burdens and no fallen heroes but I thought this would need to include fortune and fate for sure) and a single extra copy of We Cannot Get Out or even not being able to cancel that last one with the test of will I retrieved with Gildor would have also resulted in a loss. I only had ONE copy of Fool of a Took appear throughout the game and another copy would have also sealed my doom. I also had two shadow effects that affected the lore/spirit player even through Elrohir was defending with Sentinel that would have lost the game if the defending player had been the leadership/tactics deck as two defensive attachments would have been removed from Elrohir and he would have died from damage already on him and the damage done by these attacks (mines of moria shadow effect), this removed almost all attachments from the lore/spirit side however which wasn't very pleasant. I also fought both Great Cave Trolls and killed one. I also did not let a SINGLE ally leave play from being destroyed throughout the entire game so did not have Overcome By Grief attach to anyone at any point.

Still in shock over somehow managing to do this! SO MANY things could have gone wrong or not worked out and my hope was razor thin but several well timed cancellations, tricks and combos got me there!

Epic addition to my personal saga campaign. Horrible Horrible score considering I have no victory point boost from defeating the Balrog, had a million damage on heroes and a final threat of 43 for each player (had to lower it for both players a few times...) but don't care at all considering I managed this and only get two burdens, no fallen hero and no insanely hard to pull off Fortune or Fate combo again.

Edited by PsychoRocka, 14 December 2014 - 08:09 PM.

• GrandSpleen, joezim007 and Teamjimby like this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#55 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Very nice, I too thought it nigh impossible to get through Journey in the Dark without the Balrog showing up in a multiplayer game.  Glad to hear that it's possible, and with an unexpected deck archetype!

• PsychoRocka likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS