• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

UHMMM. But this makes sense.

Only if you abide by notions of porting game-availability to real-world-availability (which isn't really applicable). Buying things in Star Wars is closer to buying gear in Shadowrun than in the real world, excepting gun stores. If there was a big market for giant battle axes in 2014 IRL, we'd see that reflected in retail.

#22 TarlSS

TarlSS

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

It makes sense in universe. A fusion cutter is a universal tool used by metal workers that you could find at any mechanic's shop.

You're just not going to find a battle ready vibrosword anywhere outside of a museum or a Hutt Palace. There's no logical reason for anyone to have one, other than that ONE bounty hunter that loves killing people with swords. It's a completely ineffective weapon for the time period, usable pretty much only by specially written PCs and NPCs

Someone who uses a sword would be like Michonne in the Walking Dead, a completely..quixotic anachronism that shows just how screwed up the setting is.

Edited by TarlSS, 19 April 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#23 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

You're just not going to find a battle ready vibrosword anywhere outside of a museum or a Hutt Palace. There's no logical reason for anyone to have one, other than that ONE bounty hunter that loves killing people with swords. It's a completely ineffective weapon for the time period

Well, I can't disagree with you more here. It wouldn't be a common item if there wasn't a market to make it so.

• 2P51 likes this

#24 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

It makes sense in universe. A fusion cutter is a universal tool used by metal workers that you could find at any mechanic's shop.

You're just not going to find a battle ready vibrosword anywhere outside of a museum or a Hutt Palace. There's no logical reason for anyone to have one, other than that ONE bounty hunter that loves killing people with swords. It's a completely ineffective weapon for the time period, usable pretty much only by specially written PCs and NPCs

Someone who uses a sword would be like Michonne in the Walking Dead, a completely..quixotic anachronism that shows just how screwed up the setting is.

I disagree. Lots of people use vibroweapons. Pirates are fond of them because they're useful for fighting in close quarters (like when boarding a ship) and there's considerably less chance for shooting out some important component in the ship you're fighting in. Marine-type soldiers, like the Rebel Alliance's SpecForce Marines also use them for that reason. A bounty hunter might easily carry one, as would anyone who'd expect to find themselves in a fight on a regular basis. Warrior types from species who are long on Brawn and short on Agility would probably also favour melee weapons. Blasters and other ranged weapons would be much more common, sure, but not to the point where vibroswords would be museum pieces.

• Kshatriya and 2P51 like this

#25 TarlSS

TarlSS

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

Vibroswords and axes are available in game in order to appease PCs whose archetypes use them, and the prices reflect that. We can see clearly that vibroweapons are very expensive and not 'cost effective'.

Furthermore, the number of characters in the EU that use vibroswords is very small. In TCW and the movies, the only characters using vibroaxes are Gamorrean guards. BX commando droids used vibroswords as part of integrated weapons systems. The primary melee weapons being used by guards and other such 'minions' are shock staves/prods/batons that are similar to truncheons used by our own police forces.

Vibroknives are used because well, they're knives. You can use a knife for anything. They're simple, stealthy, and have multiple uses.

Vibroswords aren't any of that. They're flashy and mostly for killing people. They are the weapons of 'special snowflakes'.

In a world with guns, dedicated killing melee weapons are severely limited in use. Most of them are items of 'exceptional craftsmanship', much like in our own world- people that buy melee weapons are dedicated to it and unique. There aren't Grease Gun or AK47 versions of vibrosword manufacturers that produce cheap, crude versions for the people that don't want to spend a lot of money, but just need a sword. No one in the setting actually NEEDS a sword - owning own is more of a luxury for a high class killer.

Vibroblades and swords exist as logical extensions of thought. Why wouldn't people in Star Wars use swords, and why wouldn't there be a high tech version of them? The technology exists and they're certainly made...but they wouldn't be made with an economy of scale in mind. They would be made with an economy of style and luxury. Items like a fusion cutter could be found cheaply or on discount as a promotional or surplus at a tool store. You would not find a sword at a half-off or going out of business sale, or as a special on whatever the Amazon-equivalent is. 

The actual usage of vibroswords and other large melee weapons is yes, strictly due to the fact that very effective ranged weapons exist in the universe..melee weapons are typically used in a story fashion in order to distinguish unique characters. The NPCs in the canned adventures reflect that..the only ones really using dedicated vibroweapons as a primary weapon are indeed the 'big bosses' or deliberately quixotic and unique characters. These characters are depicted as being generally rare, and their weapons unique, expensive, and highly prized.

Edited by TarlSS, 20 April 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#26 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Did we ever figure out what skill the fusion cutter uses? I'd vote for Ranged (Light), myself, given that it doesn't say + in the damage, and that it's not so much a weapon that you hit with as much as it's one you point with.

#27 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

There's a beamdrill that uses Melee in Suns of Fortune.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#28 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Did we ever figure out what skill the fusion cutter uses? I'd vote for Ranged (Light), myself, given that it doesn't say + in the damage, and that it's not so much a weapon that you hit with as much as it's one you point with.

As a weapon, it'd be melee. As overpowered as it may seem, it's not as good as the stats might otherwise indicate, given that it'll generate at least two setback dice when using it.

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target; Edge of the Empire: Fly Casual

#29 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

The thing to remember this is an open carry universe. Everyone is carrying a blaster. So swords would not be a big deal...they are actually less dangerous to other people.

#30 Amarel

Amarel

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

As a weapon, it'd be melee. As overpowered as it may seem, it's not as good as the stats might otherwise indicate, given that it'll generate at least two setback dice when using it.

Assuming it to be relatively similar to a modern welding torch, you're either firing it up and swinging it around (as per a Melee Weapon) or you're bringing it up like a pistol and pulling the trigger to ignite it and send the flame out (as per a Ranged (Light) Weapon). 

I guess this is a GM's call right now, but it'd be great to get an official answer at some point, as both ideas make some sense to me and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

Edited by Amarel, 11 September 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#31 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:47 PM

Assuming it to be relatively similar to a modern welding torch, you're either firing it up and swinging it around (as per a Melee Weapon) or you're bringing it up like a pistol and pulling the trigger to ignite it and send the flame out (as per a Ranged (Light) Weapon).

They say "Fusion Cutter", so that says to me it would be something like a cutting torch. Difference being that you don’t really have a lot of room to adjust it for anything beyond Engaged range — like taking a cutting torch and adjusting it for a good cutting blue-white flame that ends up being just a few inches long.

Melee weapon, definitely.
  • Amarel and evileeyore like this

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#32 Amarel

Amarel

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

They say "Fusion Cutter", so that says to me it would be something like a cutting torch. Difference being that you don’t really have a lot of room to adjust it for anything beyond Engaged range — like taking a cutting torch and adjusting it for a good cutting blue-white flame that ends up being just a few inches long.

Melee weapon, definitely.

Yup, makes sense to me!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS