Navigator Power Choices - Advice?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

The Course Untraveled is awesome. Very much so.

Alex

• RogalDorn01 likes this

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#22 dobyk21

dobyk21

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, so we don't allow the use of any other powers to make it easier.  Hadn't considered using drugs to try and stave off mutation.  I really like the idea of only being able to use it to enhance existing powers instead of grabbing new ones.

But since you asked here is another example of how we do it.

Rank Four Navigator has up to this point purchased Navigator Powers 6 times in his lifetime.  Each of these of course costed the requisite 200 exp.  The navigator decides to purchase Navigator Power again (Madness.)  This means he is testing for his Seventh power.  Since he is only Rank four, this leaves a penalty multiplier of three.  Meaning his test will be taking a penalty of -30 to avoid mutation.

Fate points are totally ok to use for this, so you can mitigate SOME of the horror.  So yes, my Navis Scion is still our diplomat, but he has to hide most of his hideous form behind thick robes and "decorative" masks.  He is currently looking into finding a decent Genator so when he eventually goes home he doesn't end up dissected in a lab or put into the Spawnitorium...

Ok, I think I get the general idea. But, naturally, if you only bought your powers at Rank 1, and you begin play with 2 powers, at Rank 4 your maximum number of powers you can get is 5 anyway, and you have six, so they should only penalize you with -20, no? For having two extra powers "over the possible according to book rules"? Or you have been upgradinig powers?So, lets say, you want to rank up some of your powers, do you get that -30 penalty?

#23 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

You are correct, I don't usually include the lidless stare rank one in my calculations.  I only look at the number of times I have purchased the Navigator Powers from the Exp cost list.  I make no distinction between learning a new power and enhancing an existing one.  So having Lidless Eye at Max Rank and Tracks in the Stars at Max rank means you bought five navigator upgrades.  So if you were rank four when you buy the next power means you would be at a -20.  At rank three that same purchase would be at a -30, at rank 2 (Yikes!!!) it would be a -40...

Edited by RogalDorn01, 17 April 2014 - 01:31 PM.

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#24 orwen89

orwen89

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi,

I've created my navigator recently for a new campaign. He is has an impressive 60 points of perception and I'm planning to take Seek the Path on at least rank1 and max out Eye of the Oblivion. Also max out his perception attribute, and wielding an accurate weapon with red-dot he could easily archive 110% base chance to hit. Technically if there isn't any negative modifiers for the attack, every roll under 70% gives him a bonus +2d10+2xPB damage from the accurate quality and eye of oblivion damage bonus ignoring the armor, TB plus psychic or power defenses.
I also take every perception-based skills and talents available, like awareness, scrutiny, psyniscience, paranoia, heightened senses (sight) etc. With an auspex and a chameleoline cloak he is quite good sniper material.
The problem is, I don't know if it's ok fluff-wise. Probably not likely.

#25 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

Also max out his perception attribute, and wielding an accurate weapon with red-dot he could easily archive 110% base chance to hit

How does this sentence fit together?

It seems to suggest that you use Perception for shooting, which is certainly not RAW.

#26 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

Also max out his perception attribute, and wielding an accurate weapon with red-dot he could easily archive 110% base chance to hit

It seems to suggest that you use Perception for shooting, which is certainly not RAW.

Seek the Path navigator power from The Navis Primer...

#27 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Seek the Path navigator power from The Navis Primer...

Ah.

Indeed.

And spend yet another round (well, half action) to line up that kill shot.

As well as wasting another power on something with so little pay-off, compared to ship scale powers.

Your milage may vary ofcourse, but for my money, it's not worth it.

#28 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

Plus it's not as good as The Course Untraveled still. ;)

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#29 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

I think if you want to make a Navigator who is also a sniper there is no reason not too!  That sounds like a fun character to play actually.  It isn't necessarily the "best" thing to do as far as maximizing what your character can do, but the roleplaying aspects are cool.  And you should have the freedom to pursue the stats that make that character more interesting!  I say go for it...but there are other powers that may be more useful for a sniper...

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#30 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

What I am more interested in currently is how people interpret "Held in my Gaze".

At one point it says "locks a creature in place", suggesting immobile... And yet a way such a creature can escape the gaze is moving out of range or LoS...

And yet it also states that the "lock" only affects psychic powers and daemonic presence. The second trait is a passive that is always on anyway, so no idea what the hell they mean by that...

And also the very effectiveness of the power comes into question when most daemons are known for their "rip you limb from limb" mentality over having a scary mental arsenal. And of those that have a scary mental arsenal, few are incompetent in the physical violence department anyway. That is unless this power actually locks a deamon in place, making it unable to act at all.

Against roughly "human" psykers its still awesome since it cripples them... but then again so does a bolt shell.

#31 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

What I am more interested in currently is how people interpret "Held in my Gaze".

At one point it says "locks a creature in place", suggesting immobile... And yet a way such a creature can escape the gaze is moving out of range or LoS...

And yet it also states that the "lock" only affects psychic powers and daemonic presence. The second trait is a passive that is always on anyway, so no idea what the hell they mean by that...

And also the very effectiveness of the power comes into question when most daemons are known for their "rip you limb from limb" mentality over having a scary mental arsenal. And of those that have a scary mental arsenal, few are incompetent in the physical violence department anyway. That is unless this power actually locks a deamon in place, making it unable to act at all.

Against roughly "human" psykers its still awesome since it cripples them... but then again so does a bolt shell.

The greatest ruling that I ever had to make for my players is that Held in my Gaze neither Holds people, nor is it a Gaze attack as defined by Lidless Stare.

Anyway you're correct, there's nothing stopping a Bloodthirster from being just as Bloodthirstery at tearing people apart, however if it is held in place (perhaps by a helpful TK Astropath) or just cannot deal damage then Warp Instability is almost certainly going to insta-kill it.

Also a bolt shell is super ineffective against your average TK-Astropath, unless its psychic defenses suddenly stopped working of course...

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#32 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

The greatest ruling that I ever had to make for my players is that Held in my Gaze neither Holds people, nor is it a Gaze attack as defined by Lidless Stare.

Anyway you're correct, there's nothing stopping a Bloodthirster from being just as Bloodthirstery at tearing people apart, however if it is held in place (perhaps by a helpful TK Astropath) or just cannot deal damage then Warp Instability is almost certainly going to insta-kill it.

Also a bolt shell is super ineffective against your average TK-Astropath, unless its psychic defenses suddenly stopped working of course...

Well, nowhere does it say it functions like Lidless Stare, unlike say Scourge of the Red Tide which should not function like Lidless Stare on account of it affects things which does not have eyes.

But Held in my Gaze is then practically useless against daemons. Since most daemons are threatening enough in the "rip you limb from limb" department as they are in psychic might if not more so. And good luck in holding a WP 70+ with Wounds in the near 200s and a massive strength/toughness with any TK Astropath for so long they actually get banished by Warp Instability, even boosted by Held in my Gaze. Especially with Daemonic Presence still being a factor as it is a passive ability that is always on and therefor not at all affected by Held in my Gaze.

It still has some limited function against psykers... but nothing other powers cant do just as well, for example Lidless Stare... or a Heavy Bolter, or two... or a Null Rod... or a Pariah...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS