Photo

Race Builder Assistance (for the Great Good)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Since there is no ‘General 40k’ forum on I figured it would be best to ask for help here on the Dark Heresy forum, since it has the highest traffic.

One of my more insane ambitions is to make a GREATER GOOD (read: Tau) rpg, and one of the first hurdles I’ve hit is that it would need to be able to make multiple races viable for character creation. After much thought, and no small amount of prayers to the Dice Gods, I eventually hit upon the idea to make the race creation based on experience costs. With the leftover experience being what each race had to work with for customization, I figure this will make it more even…I think…

Anyways any help hammering out or adding prices, traits, wording, etc. would be very helpful.
Join the Empire today and get free cookies!

PS: If its necessary to know I plan to base the stats on 20 +2d10 for generating characteristics.

===
Race Builder

Step 1: Theme and Name
Before proceeding further all those involved in the creation process should come to an agreement on the aspects that define ‘fluffwise’ the race being built. Are they stronger than average? Weaker? Do they have higher differences in gender (numerically or socially)? Does ‘gender’ even matter? Are they human-like in form? Do they believe in anything? 

These are only the tip of the iceberg of the questions that may be asked in hammering the race out to be more than simple Character Modifiers and can be answered at any time but can help in creation now if you have them. However one thing that cannot be pushed aside for latter is the most important question:

What are they called?

A name is perhaps the hardest thing to come up with when making a character (let-lone an entire race) so pick out a name you wont have to regret (or have to change nine times before the process is done).

Step 2: 
All Races start with 1000exp that can either go to purchasing traits and characteristics here or to experience to spend at the end of Character Creation.

Base Stats
All Races start with a 0 Racial Modifier at the start of this Race Creator in all Characteristics, this represents the ‘human average’ that is used by majority of the game-lines to represent unmodified humans as a baseline. So to begin your races characteristics begin like this:

Weapon Skill: 0
Ballistic Skill: 0
Strength: 0
Toughness: 0
Agility: 0
Perception: 0
Intelligence: 0
Willpower: 0
Fellowship: 0

Special Attacks: None
Special Traits: None

CHARACTERISTICS
The first, and most obvious, choice for racial modifiers is adjusting your Characteristics.

+5 Characteristic (100exp):  Increase one of your Characteristics by 5, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one. 

+3 Characteristic (50exp):  Increase one of your Characteristics by 3, you may purchase this multiple times each time for a different Characteristic. . 

-5 Characteristic (+100exp):  Decrease one of your Characteristics by 5, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one to the maximum of -15 per Characteristic. 

-3 Characteristic (+50exp):  Decrease one of your Characteristics by 3, you may purchase this multiple times each time for a different Characteristic each time.

Unnatural Trait (250exp): For each purchasing of this trait the race gains a Unnatural Characteristic (1) to one Characteristic, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one. 

SIZE
The size of a race may well have a lot of effect on its culture, appearance, and Characteristics.

For the purpose of this I’m posting the size modifiers here for ease of reference.

Size To Hit Modifier Stealth Base Movement
Puny (Cherub) –20 +20 AB–2
Weedy (Gretchin) –10 +10 AB–1
Average (Human) 0 0 AB
Hulking (Ogryn) +10 –10 AB+1
Enormous (Krootox) +20 –20 AB+2

Puny (200exp)
Weedy (100exp)
Hulking (100exp)
Enormous (200exp)

TRAITS
Because the description of each of these are plenty long I’m only giving their cost and any limitations or special mentions here, for details on the majority of these traits look to your Core Rulebooks. Those that are not found in the Core Rulebooks will be given descriptions here.

AMORPHOUS (200exp)

AMPHIBIOUS (200exp)

AUTO-STABILISED (300 exp/200exp/100exp/600exp): The prices of this trait are modified by the size of the race. 300exp for Average, 200exp for Hulking, 100exp for Enormous, and 600exp for Weedy and Puny.

BESTIAL (+200)
BLIND (+400): You may not purchase the Unnatural Sense trait
BRUTAL CHARGE (200exp per Rank)

BURROWER (200exp/100exp/200exp): The traits is purchased for 200exp and grants Burrower (1) trait. Increasing the Burrowing speed costs 100exp per increase. Finally it costs an additional 200exp to grant the Burrower the ability to burrow through metal.

CRAWLER (200exp)

DARK-SIGHT (200exp)

FEAR (300exp per Rating): A race cannot naturally possess a Fear Rating over 4.

FLYER (500exp/100exp): This trait is purchased for 500exp and grants Flying (1) trait. Increasing the Flying speed costs 100exp per increase.

HOVERER (200exp/100exp): This trait is purchased for 200exp and grants Hovering (1) trait. Increasing the Hovering speed costs 100exp per increase.

GHOST OF THE WARP† (200exp): Races with the Ghost of the Warp trait are not entirely cut off from the Immaterium just greatly reduced in presence to the point of being little more than flickering, ghostly, lights in the warp. Seldom do such races realize that Immaterium even exists and more often than not consider such claims to be fables or legends. This lack of presence in the warp grants a good deal of protection against the machinations of the warp, granting a +20 bonus to resist the effects of warp that target them. This race, however, cannot have Psykers (or take the Psyker Trait), and/or the Pariah Trait (which is even more extreme case).

MACHINE (400exp/200exp): This trait is purchased for 400exp and grants Machine (1) trait. Increasing the Machine’s Armour Points costs 200exp per increase.

MULTIPLE ARMS (250exp per Rating): 

NATURAL ARMOUR (200exp per Rating)

NATURAL WEAPONS (200exp/200exp): This trait costs 200exp to purchase Natural Weapons and costs an additional 200exp to upgrade it to Deadly Natural Weapons.

PARIAH (700exp/200exp): This trait is purchased by spending 700exp and grants the Untouchable (0) trait. Increasing the Untouchable’s null-field costs 200exp per 1 meter incensement. Race with the Pariah trait are ‘naturally’ completely cut off from the Immaterium and appear to the eyes of its inhabitants as being either invisible or as empty voids. It goes without saying that such races cannot have Psykers or benefit from any sort of Psychic ability. A Pariah race cannot take this trait and the Ghost of the Warp or Psyker trait.

PSYKER (700exp): Races with the Psyker trait are natural Psykers and all members of their race count as having the Psyniscience Skill, a Psy Rating of (1) and one Psychic Power. Not possessing this trait does not mean that the race has no Psykers only that they are rare and not the norm. You cannot possess this trait and the Ghosts of the Warp or Pariah trait.

QUADRUPED (400exp/200exp): This trait is purchased for 400exp and grants Quadruped (4) trait. Increasing the number of legs by 2 (and granting a +2 to the final speed) costs 200exp per increase.

REGENERATION (400exp per Rating)

SONAR SENSE (200exp)

STAMPEDE (+200exp)

STURDY (200exp)

TOXIC (250 per Rating)

UNDYING (900exp)

UNNATURAL SENSES (250exp per Rating)

====
Untouchable X Trait†
An Untouchable is completely immune to any ‘direct’ attempts to effect them or anything within the radius of their null-field with psychic powers or effects (including perils of the warp). However their lack of presence in the warp is subconsciously felt by others and this often leads to poor relations with other races, inflicting a -30 penalty to all social skill rolls, except Intimidation. When using Intimidation against a Psyker, and those with the Psyker trait, this trait grants a +30 bonus to the Untouchable’s Intimidation roll.

†Needs serious work! -_-

#2 Nath0610

Nath0610

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Since there is no ‘General 40k’ forum on I figured it would be best to ask for help here on the Dark Heresy forum, since it has the highest traffic.

One of my more insane ambitions is to make a GREATER GOOD (read: Tau) rpg, and one of the first hurdles I’ve hit is that it would need to be able to make multiple races viable for character creation. After much thought, and no small amount of prayers to the Dice Gods, I eventually hit upon the idea to make the race creation based on experience costs. With the leftover experience being what each race had to work with for customization, I figure this will make it more even…I think…

Anyways any help hammering out or adding prices, traits, wording, etc. would be very helpful.
Join the Empire today and get free cookies!

PS: If its necessary to know I plan to base the stats on 20 +2d10 for generating characteristics.

===
Race Builder

Step 1: Theme and Name
Before proceeding further all those involved in the creation process should come to an agreement on the aspects that define ‘fluffwise’ the race being built. Are they stronger than average? Weaker? Do they have higher differences in gender (numerically or socially)? Does ‘gender’ even matter? Are they human-like in form? Do they believe in anything? 

These are only the tip of the iceberg of the questions that may be asked in hammering the race out to be more than simple Character Modifiers and can be answered at any time but can help in creation now if you have them. However one thing that cannot be pushed aside for latter is the most important question:

What are they called?

A name is perhaps the hardest thing to come up with when making a character (let-lone an entire race) so pick out a name you wont have to regret (or have to change nine times before the process is done).

Step 2: 
All Races start with 1000exp that can either go to purchasing traits and characteristics here or to experience to spend at the end of Character Creation.

Base Stats
All Races start with a 0 Racial Modifier at the start of this Race Creator in all Characteristics, this represents the ‘human average’ that is used by majority of the game-lines to represent unmodified humans as a baseline. So to begin your races characteristics begin like this:

Weapon Skill: 0
Ballistic Skill: 0
Strength: 0
Toughness: 0
Agility: 0
Perception: 0
Intelligence: 0
Willpower: 0
Fellowship: 0

Special Attacks: None
Special Traits: None

CHARACTERISTICS
The first, and most obvious, choice for racial modifiers is adjusting your Characteristics.

+5 Characteristic (100exp):  Increase one of your Characteristics by 5, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one. 

+3 Characteristic (50exp):  Increase one of your Characteristics by 3, you may purchase this multiple times each time for a different Characteristic. . 

-5 Characteristic (+100exp):  Decrease one of your Characteristics by 5, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one to the maximum of -15 per Characteristic. 

-3 Characteristic (+50exp):  Decrease one of your Characteristics by 3, you may purchase this multiple times each time for a different Characteristic each time.

Unnatural Trait (250exp): For each purchasing of this trait the race gains a Unnatural Characteristic (1) to one Characteristic, you may purchase this multiple times for the either the same Characteristic or for a different one. 

SIZE
The size of a race may well have a lot of effect on its culture, appearance, and Characteristics.

For the purpose of this I’m posting the size modifiers here for ease of reference.

Size To Hit Modifier Stealth Base Movement
Puny (Cherub) –20 +20 AB–2
Weedy (Gretchin) –10 +10 AB–1
Average (Human) 0 0 AB
Hulking (Ogryn) +10 –10 AB+1
Enormous (Krootox) +20 –20 AB+2

Puny (200exp)
Weedy (100exp)
Hulking (100exp)
Enormous (200exp)

TRAITS
Because the description of each of these are plenty long I’m only giving their cost and any limitations or special mentions here, for details on the majority of these traits look to your Core Rulebooks. Those that are not found in the Core Rulebooks will be given descriptions here.

AMORPHOUS (200exp)

AMPHIBIOUS (200exp)

AUTO-STABILISED (300 exp/200exp/100exp/600exp): The prices of this trait are modified by the size of the race. 300exp for Average, 200exp for Hulking, 100exp for Enormous, and 600exp for Weedy and Puny.

BESTIAL (+200)
BLIND (+400): You may not purchase the Unnatural Sense trait
BRUTAL CHARGE (200exp per Rank)

BURROWER (200exp/100exp/200exp): The traits is purchased for 200exp and grants Burrower (1) trait. Increasing the Burrowing speed costs 100exp per increase. Finally it costs an additional 200exp to grant the Burrower the ability to burrow through metal.

CRAWLER (200exp)

DARK-SIGHT (200exp)

FEAR (300exp per Rating): A race cannot naturally possess a Fear Rating over 4.

FLYER (500exp/100exp): This trait is purchased for 500exp and grants Flying (1) trait. Increasing the Flying speed costs 100exp per increase.

HOVERER (200exp/100exp): This trait is purchased for 200exp and grants Hovering (1) trait. Increasing the Hovering speed costs 100exp per increase.

GHOST OF THE WARP† (200exp): Races with the Ghost of the Warp trait are not entirely cut off from the Immaterium just greatly reduced in presence to the point of being little more than flickering, ghostly, lights in the warp. Seldom do such races realize that Immaterium even exists and more often than not consider such claims to be fables or legends. This lack of presence in the warp grants a good deal of protection against the machinations of the warp, granting a +20 bonus to resist the effects of warp that target them. This race, however, cannot have Psykers (or take the Psyker Trait), and/or the Pariah Trait (which is even more extreme case).

MACHINE (400exp/200exp): This trait is purchased for 400exp and grants Machine (1) trait. Increasing the Machine’s Armour Points costs 200exp per increase.

MULTIPLE ARMS (250exp per Rating): 

NATURAL ARMOUR (200exp per Rating)

NATURAL WEAPONS (200exp/200exp): This trait costs 200exp to purchase Natural Weapons and costs an additional 200exp to upgrade it to Deadly Natural Weapons.

PARIAH (700exp/200exp): This trait is purchased by spending 700exp and grants the Untouchable (0) trait. Increasing the Untouchable’s null-field costs 200exp per 1 meter incensement. Race with the Pariah trait are ‘naturally’ completely cut off from the Immaterium and appear to the eyes of its inhabitants as being either invisible or as empty voids. It goes without saying that such races cannot have Psykers or benefit from any sort of Psychic ability. A Pariah race cannot take this trait and the Ghost of the Warp or Psyker trait.

PSYKER (700exp): Races with the Psyker trait are natural Psykers and all members of their race count as having the Psyniscience Skill, a Psy Rating of (1) and one Psychic Power. Not possessing this trait does not mean that the race has no Psykers only that they are rare and not the norm. You cannot possess this trait and the Ghosts of the Warp or Pariah trait.

QUADRUPED (400exp/200exp): This trait is purchased for 400exp and grants Quadruped (4) trait. Increasing the number of legs by 2 (and granting a +2 to the final speed) costs 200exp per increase.

REGENERATION (400exp per Rating)

SONAR SENSE (200exp)

STAMPEDE (+200exp)

STURDY (200exp)

TOXIC (250 per Rating)

UNDYING (900exp)

UNNATURAL SENSES (250exp per Rating)

====
Untouchable X Trait†
An Untouchable is completely immune to any ‘direct’ attempts to effect them or anything within the radius of their null-field with psychic powers or effects (including perils of the warp). However their lack of presence in the warp is subconsciously felt by others and this often leads to poor relations with other races, inflicting a -30 penalty to all social skill rolls, except Intimidation. When using Intimidation against a Psyker, and those with the Psyker trait, this trait grants a +30 bonus to the Untouchable’s Intimidation roll.

†Needs serious work! -_-

One definite thing which I advise, is do NOT allow players to get unnatural characteristics. It will make your life hell as a gm. :D 
Also maybe consider putting in an ability to have extra starting wounds, that would be cool. kinda like how feral has better wounds then void.
Good job thus far though :D

#3 Magus Black

Magus Black

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Ha! While it might be hell if I suggested it be allowed for the Players to make them in vacuum this is supposed to be a group effort (or just GM effort) so any shenanigans the Players try will have to pass their GM first (and if they miss at this point then they are Lost). The major reason its there is that there are several races that have Unnatural Characteristics already in the game:

Kroot have Perception and Strength
Vespid have a high Toughness 
Eldar have a high Agility
Ogryns  have Strength and Toughness
Orks have Strength and Toughness too.

And of course the universe is a big place the and there is no telling if there exists a ‘Superior’ Race out there or not. The idea (hopefully) is that while the stronger races (Kroot, Vespid, etc) will start strong but lack diversity while the weaker races will have more diversity (humans will start with a 1000exp at character creation, while other start with much lower or even none). Of course it cant be flawless since 40k is “sucks to be you” but at least its an effort. :ph34r:

Also maybe consider putting in an ability to have extra starting wounds, that would be cool. kinda like how feral has better wounds then void.

Well that part would be determined more by the other options I plan to make Character Creation based on this format:

Race: Which is what I’m working on now.

Origins: Which will be about all the different starting points, I got most of it down already by using a bit of New Heresy and Only War (using an idea I struck upon in the 2nd Heresy Forum, taking those that granted a + in Toughness and granting them a +2 Wounds).

Trade: Which is pretty much your job, class, career, whathaveyou; I’ve got a system already in mind for making this balanced to the each race (which is where a majority of your Wounds will be from).

Distinguished History:  Which will follow up on your Trade and will determine ‘why’ you’ve become noteworthy (were you may gain, or lose, wounds…amongst other things).

….still that not a bad idea, especially if one race wants to be trained in a radically different field instead of one their norms (ratlings as Pathfinders, humans as Firewarriors etc.)

Since Wounds are a bit of a standalone thing (and their value is not placed very highly at late-end games), do you think that 50exp per Wound (and the reduction of wounds +50exp) would be fair?

• Nath0610 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS