Photo

I need thoughts of the Apostasy Trilogy (Possible Spoiler Alert)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drama

Drama

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking for some thoughts of yours to see if the Apostasy Trilogy including Black Sepulcher, Church of the Damned and the Chaos Commandments are a good fit for my players. I have the first book and like the way the game has proceeded when in the Cathedral. They have somehow moved on the House of Dust and Ash and I want to move back to the two parts of the Apostasy Trilogy. It's ok to spoil me because I want to buy the two books. I'm looking for some ideas or ways to run the game and what worked for you or didn't. Any help is appreciated and respected. Thank you in advance.  

#2 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Me and my group are playing Church of the Damned right now, and we have nothing but good things to say about it.

The first part of it is in the Cathedral of Illumination were the players need a lot of lore skills and RPing as well, a really really good segment that allows almost all players to shine since there is tests for them all to take. Beside that are there a demon to throw some holy water at and other small things like a man who had three skulls, so what are there not to love!

The second segment, the one that our group soon are going to reach and the only one that I can in and out are really good as well. We are in Gun Metal City for this one, and are for once seeing another part of the 40K universe, really getting down to the ground and dirty with a lot of gritty things happening. That there are both xenos to be fought and a chaos shine to overthrow as well if you can find them is just awesome, especially since there are a lot and lots of room to explore and do things right in, but also to fails and make mistakes in without failing too much. Beside that are this going to be their first taste on giant combat, them being thrown into a gang war where they "have" to choose a side, with none of them being being the good guys no matter how you look at it.

I have only skimmet Chaos Commandments and I does personally not like what I see. It is all too epic and big, it starting out with a full on war were the acolytes have a guard platoon behind them and have to capture a point of importance. And then are it only going on and on and on with the war, only with a little breather in a house with an near death trap that I don´t think that many groups would be able to avoid or see through as such.

TL;DR I do personally love all the things that I have seen in Church of the Damned, it taking the style of Black Sepulcher and making it a bit bigger and better with the many different nuances, but I do fear the big big epic scale that Chaos Commandments are building on

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

#3 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Well, since I also plan on playing the Apostasy Gambit, but in a different context, here are some of the more glaring flaws I noticed.

- The History of the Black Sepulchre feels... odd. I don't know, but... something just doesn't sit right with the timeline of the Events leading to the Dei-Phage getting caught in the Titan and how Ignato is involved in the Maledictor's Hand. I mean, according to BoM he's the Arch-Cardinal since roughly a century. And this century has seen a noble Rogue Trader house forgetting it's origin? Even if the Video is from 300 years ago, I still find it hard to believe, with nobles being very conscience of their heritage.

- Once we start CotD, the players might be simply too well known for a covert operation. Might have to either have secondary characters play that adventure (the acolyte's Acolytes :D) or rewrite it so it makes sense for them to be at the cathedral. 

- The ending is Epic, yeah, but honestly: GIVE US MORE ABOUT THE CIVIL WAR! No, really, I'll be taking a few dives with adventures using Only War, Black Crusade, maybe Rogue Trader and maybe even Deathwatch to depict the events during this "Sector-engulfing" War of Faith. Cause what I have read about that in the book... well, I was less then impressed. Oh, and if the players die in the fight vs. "Drusus", I'll let them roll up a Grey Knight Strike Team which has to deal with a greater Daemon of Tzeentch.

A first few thoughts by myself

Edit: And you (or a Mod or Tzeentch) might think of moving this thread to the GM-Section.

Edited by darkforce, 13 April 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#4 Drama

Drama

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Went ahead and purchased Church of the Damned and just from a quick read through it looks to be inviting enough. I'm just wondering how to justify getting them back on track after the Black Sepulcher I know the stand alone should only take a few sessions so maybe not try to spend so much time on the Black Sepulcher. Do you tinker with the story any or do you play the modules as is. I didn't know if there is anything wrong with adjusting the game to what is happening on certain terms more or less. in how our game is panning out?

Edited by Drama, 13 April 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#5 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

Well, I'll probably be modifying the campaign pretty heavily, If you want more Information, you can find them in this Thread I started. (Shameless Self-Advertisment). 

And, yeah, I think a lot of the scenes have much potential in the Apostasy-Gambit, but the Story weaving it all together has a few weak points in my opinion.

#6 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

I would say tinker away. I am already planning to change the paper pusher of gen metal city out with a fallen noble instead and some few other things to make it work better.

So if you say that it fits better with some changes then change it, just as with rules and so on. If the GM thinks it is for the better, it is in most cases for the better

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS