Photo

Recon X-Wing, another, slightly different thread!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieHedgehog

ZombieHedgehog

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Finally found some time to post some photos.

I received an enquiry about a custom miniature very different from what I normally build. I was sent this image if the recon variant of the X-Wing:

photo_zps569ccaa6.jpg

I really liked the look of the ship so was really happy to take on this commission. I was also sent more images of different variants and we discussed trying to mix these ideas together to create something unique.

I had the idea of closing the wings and changing the engines as well as the nose. I thought that a recon x would be more about flying than fighting so better engines would be helpful. I also thought the closed wings would makeover it noticeably different straight away when looking at it on a gaming table.

So I cut off the wings and stuck them together. I decided to work on them desperately until I got the main structure of the engines finished then I would stick them on the the ship to finish the detailing.

When I took on the commission I seemed to manage to forget how small the fighter ships are so when I first started work on the ship it wasn't the easiest to works on but over time the work gas gotten a lot easier and faster.

photo1_zps797973be.jpg

I filed away two small sections of the existing nose sensor array and started adding small pieces of Plasticard rod, this was very fiddly work, especially when I glue a slightly wider piece of rod the the end of the piece connected to the body. The dish on top is a piece of Plasticard rod filed off at one end then cut to length. I superglued a Plasticard bracket to the ship then was able to use plastic glue to fix the dish,this allowed for slight repos pit ionic while I was happy.

I began o build on the engines, I thought chunkier engines would look cool so I removed this exhaust off the back on the engines and added a piece of Plasticard which tubing would fit over.

photo2_zpsc9aa650c.jpg

I've been building up the engines with more tubing. I just need to fill gaps with putty then add some small panels for detail. I have made more progress but by phone ran out of battery late last night when I was about to take photos. I should be able to posts some more photos later on today.

photo4_zps43054669.jpg
  • Duraham, LeoHowler, Dagonet and 1 other like this

Currently taking on commissions, please PM me with any enquiries, please see links below for examples of my work:
http://community.fan...yt-1300s/page-5
http://community.fan...-customs/page-7
Also on Twitter @ZH_Customs

#2 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

Woah, what a weird X-Wing! It's a cool variant though, so good luck to you. :3

I'm pretty impressed... wish I could work to such a degree of efficiency. I sure could use your skills on some of my current models. Actually, I have a question for you: what's the best way to bend these models into ideal shapes? Some of the guns on my ships are a bit wonky (I'm looking at you, 3rd X-Wing I purchased!)

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#3 ZombieHedgehog

ZombieHedgehog

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

On my miniatures I have gently bent x-wing lasers back in to shape but I would say that's a bit risky. Probably the best method to bend something back in to shape would be to heat the section you would like to reshape, dipping the part in warm water, gradually heating it up, just checking the movement within the piece then hold it in the new position until the piece cools.

I believe old water would help with the cooling process but I'm not 100% on how this would affect the miniature over it cool naturally.

Currently taking on commissions, please PM me with any enquiries, please see links below for examples of my work:

#4 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

Looks great!

Are you planning to add those sensor bulbs on the end of the rods as well?

I've no modelling skills whatsoever so I have no idea how finnicky that would be.

#5 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Going to put on the trailing antenae behind the wings of the snoopscoot as well?

http://rebelscale.co...wing_recon.html

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx3

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#6 ZombieHedgehog

ZombieHedgehog

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Quick update:

photo_zpsdf4d9746.jpg

Looks great!

Are you planning to add those sensor bulbs on the end of the rods as well?
I've no modelling skills whatsoever so I have no idea how finnicky that would be.

Trying work out exactly how to do it. I've added slightly thicker rod to the ends. Hoping to build on these slightly, just need to be careful so not to break the rods.

I've added a little detail with Plasticard and will be sculpting the rest. I've cut of the ends off of the x-wing engines and added them to the ends of the modded engines

Going to put on the trailing antenae behind the wings of the snoopscoot as well?
http://rebelscale.co...wing_recon.html

Something else I need to think about as they are really thin, I don't want to use thicker plastic rod and it look out of place.

#7 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I like this ship, it is pretty cool.

So what would be the stat line? I would say 2-2-3-2 with an astro and system upgrade, F/E/Boost/Self-destruct actions?
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#8 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I guess just fielded as an Xwing, but astro and system does sound good.
Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#9 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I guess just fielded as an Xwing, but astro and system does sound good.

According to Wookieepedia, the sensors were put in the torpedo tube slots and the cannons had reduced power, which is why I said as I did above (and why there is no TL). It was also pretty fast, which is my rationale for Boost/Evade. All of them were equipped with self-destruct devices too, which would make an interesting new action.

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#10 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

All good ideas,but not everyone wants to play custom rules.

What do you reckon for self destruct? A range 1 instant damage at the cost of removing the ship?

#11 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

All good ideas,but not everyone wants to play custom rules.
What do you reckon for self destruct? A range 1 instant damage at the cost of removing the ship?

That's what I would say for a Self-Destruct; maybe instant damage and a red dice roll, on a hit the damage bypasses shields, otherwise it also receives a stress token.

And yes, I know that not everyone would want to play custom rules; however, I don't think this ship would be tourney legal, so it would just be for friendly games. It is just that when I looked at it I said: "oh this ship would be awesome for my campaign."
  • LeoHowler likes this

#12 Arithion

Arithion

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Looking great my friend! The big engines, really are awesome along with that nose unit.

#13 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Any ideas for good set ups with systems and droids. Would FCS worknonna ship without TL?

#14 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Any ideas for good set ups with systems and droids. Would FCS worknonna ship without TL?

See TIE Phantom for that bit of info.

#15 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

An easy way to add the bulbs at the tips of the nose sensors is to just dip them in superglue. Wait till dry and maybe do again.

For the antennae guitar wire could work and be suitably thin, also durable.

I like the engines now that you've put the regular exhausts at the ends.
  • ZombieHedgehog likes this

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx3

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#16 0Dark

0Dark

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

Looks awesome, would love to see the completed & painted model

Edited by 0Dark, 14 April 2014 - 02:26 AM.

REBEL ALLIANCE: 4x X Wing, 2x Y Wing, 2x A Wing, 2x B Wing, 1x E Wing, 2x Z95, 2x HWK, 1x YT1300, 1x GR75, 1x CR90, (Aces on pre-order)
EMPIRE: 6x TIE, 2x TIE B, 2x TIE Int, Imperial Aces, 1x TIE X1, 1x TIE P, 1x TIE D, 1x Lambda, 2x Firespray 31
SCUM: (by default) 2x Y Wing, 2x HWK, 2x Z95, 2x Firespray 31
Find, Fix, Finish

#17 ZombieHedgehog

ZombieHedgehog

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Managed to work on the X-Wing this evening, nothing too exciting though unfortunately, trying to build up the sensor bulbs and start filling gaps:

photo4_zpsdb62b2ce.jpg
  • Chris Maes and oneway like this

#18 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

I really want to see finished, excellent idea, and better execution, and do you think is some stats???, greettings

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#19 ZombieHedgehog

ZombieHedgehog

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Finally some progress!

Paint us nearly finished.

photo3_zpsc1656b08.jpg

Have added a couple of washes to make the ship look like it has been use for a while.

photo_zps8dffe572.jpg

Edited by ZombieHedgehog, 11 May 2014 - 04:07 PM.

• Chris Maes, Sergovan and Khyros like this

#20 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Very, very nice my friend

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS