• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

I'm honestly not sure I understand the question.

Playing a psyker is wroth it if you want to play a psyker.

That's really all there is to it. Or am I missing something?
  • pearldrum1 and Robin Graves like this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#22 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:21 AM

@Fgdsfg: I think he/she asks becauser there are several threads bitchting about psyker uberness and such. If i had not played a psyker or GMed several i would ask too.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#23 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the dice rolling, my main point of modular rolling though still stands. You don't have to turn on MAX POWAH for simple things eventually. And Psykers end up being similar, but different to adepts (who can also get psychic powers), but have some great flexbility, both in terms of powers and just plain being able to pull off stuff no one else can (Psyniscience and Force Weapons).

For minor powers I try to avoid more "overt" powers and go for useful but simple ones like healer, truthseeker, weapon jinx, stuff that doesn't need to be used constantly (like light stuff, honestly, get a glowlamp), but can make a difference when used (being able to force the person to either speak the truth or say nothing, very useful for impromptu interrogations).

You are not a mage, who casts all day with nary a worry or threat, you run a powerful risk on even the most mundane uses, but in return, not even the techie can outclass you when you bring down some powers.

• darkforce likes this

#24 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the dice rolling, my main point of modular rolling though still stands. You don't have to turn on MAX POWAH for simple things eventually. And Psykers end up being similar, but different to adepts (who can also get psychic powers), but have some great flexbility, both in terms of powers and just plain being able to pull off stuff no one else can (Psyniscience and Force Weapons).

For minor powers I try to avoid more "overt" powers and go for useful but simple ones like healer, truthseeker, weapon jinx, stuff that doesn't need to be used constantly (like light stuff, honestly, get a glowlamp), but can make a difference when used (being able to force the person to either speak the truth or say nothing, very useful for impromptu interrogations).

You are not a mage, who casts all day with nary a worry or threat, you run a powerful risk on even the most mundane uses, but in return, not even the techie can outclass you when you bring down some powers.

Pretty much this, yeah, Psykers can be VERY useful as "Tide-Turners", the right power at the right moment can save a mission... but you don't really want to overstay your welcome with the warp, as when the 9's start rolling, an angry mob with pitchforks and torches will be the least (but probably most iconic) of your problems.

#25 stephanstross

stephanstross

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Absolutely. Even if it's not the "safest" profession, it's Warhammer. 'Tis better to go out with a world-shattering bang than a lascannon-flavored whimper. They liven up the adventure, too, if you know when to use powers i.e. all the times, for frivolous reasons, because you're a raving lunatic. I once used some psychic power just to make someone's chairs exceedingly uncomfortable, and Inspiring aura to make the party like me more. And, when I finally racked up enough insanity to get an obsession, it was light. So I used torch. ALL THE TIME. And I overbled, A LOT, so I was basically a walking star. The point is, play the psyker like a psyker(tortured lunatic with no love for the imperium) and you'll do JUST FINE.

And if you get Perils of the Warp, you can always roll to avoid the consequences of your actions.

• doomande and pearldrum1 like this

#26 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

And if you get Perils of the Warp, you can always roll to avoid the consequences of your actions.

Do you mean use a Fate Point? You actually can't. Fate Points may only be used to reroll tests. You could use a Fate Point to reroll a Power Threshold test that you rolled a 9 on, but if you choose to accept the 9 and roll on Psychic Phenomena, you cannot use a Fate Point to reroll the Psychic Phenomena (or Perils of the Warp) roll. Those aren't tests. Best you can do is burn a Fate Point if you get a result that would kill you.

• Darth Smeg likes this

#27 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Yes.

#28 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

ColArana: There is a Talent that lets the Psyker roll twice on the Perils table and choose which one kicks in.

#29 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

ColArana: There is a Talent that lets the Psyker roll twice on the Perils table and choose which one kicks in.

I'm aware of Favoured by the Warp, though Psykers don't exactly get that one until late, and if a Psyker hasn't killed himself with Perils by Rank 6 (or 8 if they're a Savant), they deserve it.

Besides FbtW only reduces the chance of Perils not eliminates it entirely.

Not that Psykers aren't incredibly overpowered in Dark Heresy, but Perils is always a very real risk, even with FbtW unless you start playing Ascension (because someone needs to be fired over the Fettering rules).

Edited by ColArana, 22 August 2014 - 02:08 AM.

#30 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

Favored can be bought earlier as an Elite Advancement if the GM allows it. Away from books: Maybe there is an alternate rank somewhere that allows it too.

#31 Lexdamus

Lexdamus

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Yes it is worth playing a psyker. You get great powers and RP opportunities. But with great risk at times. Psykers should always keep a fate or two in reserve in case of phenomena. You can also get a trait which lets you roll twice on the phenomena table and pick the most favourable result. This combined with fate and smart use of power dice in manifesting powers makes the risks very manageable. And as others have said. There are tons of utility skills psykers can use as well to supplement their abilities. I would say yes go for it. Just don't be silly and throw all your power dice every time you roll a power. You have to balance the need for the skill to go off against the risk for phenomena. This is the bread and butter of the psyker. Risk management. Because you have a certain number of power dice. It doesn't mean you should always roll all of them. With invocation and conservative dice usage. You can stand a good chance of getting all but the most difficult powers to manifest. 

#32 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Fate Points do not allow you to reroll psychic phenomena.

• Fgdsfg likes this

#33 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Unless your GM says they do.

#34 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

He didn't say "if your GM decides to change the rules and allow you to use fate points to reroll psychic phenomena, then you should try to keep fate points in reserve."

#35 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

Unless your GM says they do.

He really, really shouldn't say that, though. That being said, the GM can say absolutely anything. If we want to have a fruitful discussion on anything, we have to share the basic assumptions. In this case, those basic assumptions are RAW, unless specifically pointed out not to be RAW.

If someone says "You can do A" and someone clarifies that "No, you can't do A, it is not RAW", saying that "Rules may not apply" is not an argument. Any changes to the basic assumptions (RAW) needs to be clarified to not be part of said assumptions.

• ColArana likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#36 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Favored can be bought earlier as an Elite Advancement if the GM allows it.

And he really, really shouldn't. Things like that are meant to be powerful, high level abilities, and so should therefore only be accessible at higher ranks. Otherwise you get the problem where a player was complaining "Daemons are rubbish", and it became clear that he had given the entire party Fearless at a very low level (ok, Fearless has it's downside, but much of a Daemon's threat comes from the fact that half your party will probably be catatonic with fear while they beat you to death).

This is something that is lost from the new Rankless system. They have to try and balance abilities which were never meant to be balanced because they were meant to be capstone (or near-capstone) abilities reserved for those higher level characters who should be able to rival characters like Eisenhorn in their abilities.

• ColArana likes this

#37 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

To nitpick a little, it let's you roll twice on the Phenomena Table, NOT Perils.

So it drops the chance of rolling perils, but if you roll 75+ twice on the Phenomena Table, then you're stuck with whatever your single roll on the Perils Table says.

• ColArana likes this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#38 The Metal Inquisitor

The Metal Inquisitor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

Psykers are very fun to play since you are the only who can sense the presence of the warp, and use it to your own gain in terms of psychic powers, but be careful about the usage of your powers.

Possession and corruption are greater threats to psykers, when both the source of their powers and their worst enemies can be found in the warp. Still worth the risk in my opinion, just look at the crazy stuff psykers can pull of with their abilities, and no other than them in the group will truly comprehend the frail line between real space and the warp ;P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS