• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

I was tired of looking these up.  They are done and they are here.  Any others you want me to do?

SEE OTHER THREAD

Edited by Emirikol, 15 April 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

They are awesome sir.

I am forever looking these up on a now very worn and scrappy piece of paper that I originally wrote them out on when I first played. These will be very handy.

Unfortunately the Control Mount one isn't working and I am going to be playing a Knight in a little while, so it would be very helpful too.

Gazery

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Try this one: https://dl.dropboxus...ontrolMount.zip

#4 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

brilliant thank you. That has worked and will come in very handy in the near future.

It does look though that horses are quite difficult beasts to control if you fail your ride check at the start of the encounter. You are then pretty much scuppered for the rest of the fight!

I may have to rethink my character and up his Agility to 4, that is annoying because I was hoping to play an average Agility character this time, so far my characters have relied quite heavily on Agility and I thought going for a Bretonnian Knight Errant (basically an Empire Knight but slightly tweaked to fit Bretonnian and Knight Errant) would go against the grain as they hate ranged weapons!

#5 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

It does look though that horses are quite difficult beasts to control if you fail your ride check at the start of the encounter. You are then pretty much scuppered for the rest of the fight!

I may have to rethink my character and up his Agility to 4 [...]

I think Emirikol wrote that it's about 50-50 risk of failing if you have 3 blue, 1 yellow and two purple dice.

If you really do not want agility 4 you could go for 3 without it making your character useless in combat.

There are several things which may benifit you when you roll for control:

• Obviously (as a knight) you will train ride, furthermore you could specialize your ride on "control mounts" and/or on your specific mount to add fortune dice to the checks.
  • Remember that having a warhorse contributes a white die to the checks to control it.
  • There are also talents you could get from the start which increase your odds, such as relentless approach (reroll white and black dice on any physical checks) or exceptional training (to negate banes on the check).
  • Going into your preferred stance would also increase your chances and you could take one (or more) stress to go further into stance instantly. That would drastically increases your odds.
  • Some actions (such as Trivial Knowledge) could further improve your dice pool and would also be handy in other situations.
  • You could spend a fortune point (or more) when rolling to control the mount if it seems to be important to gain control instantly.
  • You could also put a fortune advance in agility early on to further up your odds.

This should increase your chances well above 50% even as a starting character at agility 3. Also, as knight is an advanced career (if you have not tweaked it to be a basic career) you should be able to have Ride 2 shortly after you entered the knight career.

Rolling for example 1 blue, 2 green, 3 white, 1 yellow and 2 purple dice would give you a 77% chance of success (according to this dice roller https://googledrive....e=3&challenge=2). As a starting character you could have an even better dice pool than that.

So I believe you can be a knight with agility 3, no problem.

Lastsly, a failed ride doesn't ruin the rest of the fight, on your next turn you're allowed to make a new check each turn to control the horse and when you succeed it lasts for the rest of the fight.

#6 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Lots of great advice, thank you very much.

Just to clarify though. I have created a Basic career Knight that is a Knight Errant, the Knight of the Realm is the equivalent to the Intermediate Knight career.

The oath for the Knight Errant allows my character to miss his first turn to pray to the Lady of the Lake - to gain a defensive bonus against ranged and spell attacks.

Then on the second turn, I will need to roll to gain control of my horse to enable me to fight. If I fail this then it will be a minimum of turn 3 before he gets to act!

Actually I could roll to control the horse on the first turn whilst praying, and so be no worse off than other knights. So I don't have to wait till turn 3 if I fail.

Cheers very much for the ideas and help. Will look more into it.

Gazery

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

You can also calculate your statistics on the online dice roller: Click "Calculate probabilities" at the bottom. https://googledrive....ollers/wfrp3e/#

Essentially mounted combat isn't a sure thing at Rank 1 if you are just average.  If you fail, I'd recommending just "dismount" and let the beast run off.  First, it's going to be humorous.  Second, the addition of the first fortune dice brings you down 6%.

A-Horse-Running-Away-From-The-Battle.jpg

#8 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Depends on how your GM rules it. According to Omens of War, if you fail the character can do nothing save fight the horse for control or dismount. Doing nothing might include not praying, it might be hard to pray properly while the horse tries to run away and you try to control it. The GM might rule that with 2 boons on a failed roll you could still pray as the horse does not try to flee from the danger according to the rules. But that's up to your GM.

You have several ways to improve your chances at rank 1, so more often than not you should succeed. But at rank 1 characters are not super great at what they do, so you should expect to fail some of the horse control rolls.

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Correct.  I interpreted it on the card as : lose your action AND maneuver (except to dismount) or just let the horse flee (with you on it).  

RELATED: In the house rules Bergstrom did up a simple version as well.

#10 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

I did something like this but made them "oversized" early on - "night's rest", "first aid", "medicine".  Riding is a bit trickier and I made a small handout because of all the "horse related info" there is.

Magical Sight is similar.  Would be nice to have a card but is a bit tricky.  I also houserule it just a bit - the cumulative rolling of challenge dice and stress easy when using it.

https://the-awkward-...s/magical-sight

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm using the Herald/Guardian from Strange Eons to write up these others.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS