• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a new character for a Dark Heresy game. I'm starting with 6,200 xp (so just narrowly inside rank 6) and have to pick out gear for the guy. The core concept is an agility-focused assassin dabbling in dual-wielding for both pistols and melee weapons.

I have a budget of 4,000 thrones (technically more than that, but the carapace armour is non-negotiable :)). And here's the kicker: I can't start with anything of rare or lower availability (not counting the armour, of course).

What would you pick?

#2 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

- 2x Westingkrupp Carnodon + Red-Dot + Fire Selector + Silencer: 2x 265 = 530

- Recoil-Gloves: 85

- Either an Eviscerator (wtf, why is an Eviscerator even more available then a normal Chainsword?) or 2 Best Swords with Mono-Upgrade for either 750 (Eviscerator) or 400 (Swords)

- Clip/Drop Harness: 25

- Grapnel: 30

- Multi-Key: 150

- Backpack: 10 

- Lamp-Pack: 15

- Magnoculars: 55

- Micro-Bead (get your buddies to buy them as well!): 20

- A Stummer for good measure: 25

- Line Ascender: 100

Costs using Evi: 1795

Costs using Swords: 1445

Either way, it should leave you with enough money for some specialized ammunition (you really want some Man-Stoppers and possibly some stuff from the Rogue Trader line, most ammunition in DH is rather High-Grade). Also, try to get Chameleoline-Coating on your armor or a Cameleoline-Cloak. Auspex would also be an idea If you have Tech-Use, as would blessing your Melee-Weapon(s) be. Also, thinking about some more ranged stopping power or a weapon with full-auto for suppressing stuff would be well worth it :)

#3 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Nice! That's actually very close to what I came up with, though I replaced the Carnodons (sad, I heart Carnodon) with a pair of Hecuters (recoil gloves are rare, so not an option, alas).

For reference, my list is currently looking something like this:

Pair of Hecuter Autopistols (w/ red-dot laser sight, silencer)
Best-quality mono-sword (I went with a single sword since an off-hand pistol is better than a second sword, for me)
Enforcer Carapace + helmet
Clip harness
Multi-key
Stummer
Photo-contacts
Micro-bead
And lots and lots of man-stoppers*.

Cameleoline was first on my "to-do" list, once the game starts. Thankfully we have a scum with an unreasonably high Inquiry, so it should be feasible to find and kill the previous owner because I have no monies and acquire somehow. I really like the idea of an eviscerator though, so I might have to look into that.

Also, is the cameleoline-coating a thing from a book, or just a 'logical extension' of the cloak? Because I totally want that now.

*) Since I don't get to keep any left-over cash, I briefly entertained the idea of converting all my thrones to bullets and open a bar in Gunmetal City. :P

#4 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Cameleoline-coating is a real thing and there is stats and prices on it in one of the books... I can just not remember which one at this moment sadly :/

But I would say buy a cloak, you can´t turn cameleoline  on and off so far I know, or that is the rules my GM are running with, so having an invisible armour are maybe awesome, but not something that you want in most scenarios.

Edit: By the way, now that you are buying Photo-contacts, then pay for a good quality of them. Sure, the flash grenade thing does not come into play often, but it is better to be save than sorry.

And buying a Duplus Ammo Clip (IH) to your guns would be a good strategy, with such a small clip would you want to have a reload on a half action, and later on with rapid reload as a free one

Edited by doomande, 10 April 2014 - 02:15 AM.

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

#5 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

Edit: By the way, now that you are buying Photo-contacts, then pay for a good quality of them. Sure, the flash grenade thing does not come into play often, but it is better to be save than sorry.

In the old campaign that we're about to continue (I'm only making a new character because someone *ahem* lost my character sheet), everyone had good-quality photo-contacts. I can't remember why, but I think we realized the flash protection was super important. Alas, good-quality pushes them from scarce to rare, so that's a no go (well, it's a choice between good quality photo-contacts or carapace armour...) Will have to upgrade them in-game (or maybe swap them with the contacts of another guy in the group, while they sleep. Hello sleight of hands. ;)).

I had completely forgotten about duplus ammo clips (curse you, IH layout!) but that's a great idea. Sold!

Edited by Slaunyeh, 10 April 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#6 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

Oh, true with the Recoil Gloves, missed out the Errata. Eviscerator was not Errata'd though... oh well.  :wacko:

The Cameleoline-Coating is found in the Radical's Handbook. But yeah, can't be turned off, so while awesome in theory you probably want the Cloak instead. 

Also, I just noticed Forearm Weapon Mounting is Scarce at 300 Thrones... I'm pretty sure once I've had dinner, I could make up some Shenanigans using that  :ph34r:

Arm-Mounted Exitus-Rifle Anyone?  :D

Edited by darkforce, 10 April 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#7 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:21 AM

Arm-Mounted Exitus-Rifle Anyone?  :D

:D

I already played around with the arm-mount actually, ending up with a forearm mounted grapnel, just because it's cool. There are probably better things to put there, but I don't want to overdo it (I am currently lobbying for concealed bionic weapons like the ones maltek stalkers get, and I don't want to push my luck by also suggesting that I have guns mounted ontop of them. :))

And good point about the cameleoline cloak. Probably the better option.

#8 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Perhaps a combi-tool would be helpful; never know when the Tech-Priest is not around or gets it and you need to hotwire that door..

#9 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Perhaps a combi-tool would be helpful; never know when the Tech-Priest is not around or gets it and you need to hotwire that door..

We have both a tech priest and a guardsman with a meltagun, so I think we have hotwiring covered. ;)

I've decided to go fairly 'weapons light' (with just a pair of hecuters and a mono bastard sword) and then look about changing my loadout depending on how the game progresses. I've also toyed with some "exotic" ideas (like a compact meat-hammer with extra grip) but I think I've settled on keeping it simple for now.

I like the bastard sword is for the slightly increased damage and penetration, at the cost of the balance trait (which I don't care about, anyway).

#10 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Assassin... 1 dimensional character with the ability to do some other things.  You and scum are the "athletes" of the group, so climbing/chasing and silent move/shadowing/concealment are your forte.  Anything that helps with those actions are what you want.  As for weapons/armor, pretty simple - if you're shooty, anything with "accurate" quality.  If you're stabby, go monosword or other "elegant" weapons.

Otherwise, you picked an Assassin... it's a combat class... play it that way.  And hope to the Emperor that the other players picked things that can actually help in a "thinking" game.

#11 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:13 AM

DH 2e finally changed that up, letting you mix it up more. Like a friend of mine who did Moritat who felt overly restrained (as well as socially, with the difficulties of assassins in that arena). We remade our PCs for DH 2e.

They went Imperial World -> Outcast -> Assassin which gave them a nice mix of assassin power and social chances.

#12 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Otherwise, you picked an Assassin... it's a combat class... play it that way.  And hope to the Emperor that the other players picked things that can actually help in a "thinking" game.

I picked the assassin specifically to cover the "holes" in the group's capabilities. Basically we had no one who could do any of the Agility based stuff. 

Of course, when the session started it turned out that the guy playing the Fellowship talkity scum had also made a new character, so now we basically don't have anyone who can interact with people (the guardsman with 30 Fel is the party "face" now :P). Which is kinda annoying since I had spend so long designing a character that would fit the group as it existed the day before the session.

Now I am considering another new character that is more investigative focused (an idea I had originally dropped because it was encroaching a bit too much on the scum's niche). Ah well.

(Now, instead of being stumped by locked doors, we are stumped by everything else :P)

#13 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

I picked the assassin specifically to cover the "holes" in the group's capabilities. Basically we had no one who could do any of the Agility based stuff. 

Of course, when the session started it turned out that the guy playing the Fellowship talkity scum had also made a new character, so now we basically don't have anyone who can interact with people (the guardsman with 30 Fel is the party "face" now :P). Which is kinda annoying since I had spend so long designing a character that would fit the group as it existed the day before the session.

Now I am considering another new character that is more investigative focused (an idea I had originally dropped because it was encroaching a bit too much on the scum's niche). Ah well.

(Now, instead of being stumped by locked doors, we are stumped by everything else :P)

Well, in mycampaign we had no face char (the psyker with a few Fel boosting powers dropped out) ; the low fel assassin became the face (since the other char was a TP) and is on her way to be an interrogator; so just rearanged your char and go with the more social branch of the career

Edited by Braddoc, 14 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS