• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 thecableton

thecableton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Hey guys.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if there's a section in the book that deals with using a starships mounted cannons against people. I thought of just using stats from the Repeating Blaster but if there is a sidebar or something somewhere then all the better.}

Thanks!

Edited by thecableton, 06 April 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#2 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

You'd be wanting the character creation section of the CRB.

• Jshock, Hygric, awayputurwpn and 7 others like this

#3 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

to the OP:

What usually happens is instant KO and Critical Injury+++.

You'd be wanting the character creation section of the CRB.

How's that?

#4 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that you would need a new character. Maybe.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#5 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Basically all damage dealt by vehicle weapons can be multiplied by 10 on a personal level.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#6 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yes. In short, starship weapons used against persons should be considered to have the Vicious 20 quality. In shorter, don't worry about applying mechanics to it; the persons in question just explode.

#7 thecableton

thecableton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

I can hear my players screaming from here... To offer some context, my players decided to assault a fixed position of scout troopers who are based around a scout ship which has two cannons. There are other defenses such as probe droids and mounted guns but the big IF was the scout ship.

The players have about 32 relatively untrained allies on their side but they had the bright idea to do this at night.... on a jungle planet....

....They're not very bright.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

What kind of cannons? It makes a difference, and it's hard for a ship (with larger silhouette) to hit smaller targets with consistency.

#9 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

The actual blurb you want is on page 224 in the core book under "Starships, Vehicles, and Scale."

• FangGrip likes this

#10 thecableton

thecableton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

What kind of cannons? It makes a difference, and it's hard for a ship (with larger silhouette) to hit smaller targets with consistency.

Dorsal and Ventral Twin Medium Laser Cannons so... 6 damage in the planetary scale.

#11 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yes. In short, starship weapons used against persons should be considered to have the Vicious 20 quality. In shorter, don't worry about applying mechanics to it; the persons in question just explode.

Actually, GMs are well within their rights to say that vehicle scale weapons have a +50 to to crit rolls when appropriate. Which is pretty much any time they are used on personnel. 

George Orwell

#12 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

I can hear my players screaming from here... To offer some context, my players decided to assault a fixed position of scout troopers who are based around a scout ship which has two cannons. There are other defenses such as probe droids and mounted guns but the big IF was the scout ship.

The players have about 32 relatively untrained allies on their side but they had the bright idea to do this at night.... on a jungle planet....

....They're not very bright.

Each one will be for a moment...the moment they are hit with the laser cannon!

• Hygric, Col. Orange, Kshatriya and 13 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#13 thecableton

thecableton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

Each one will be for a moment...the moment they are hit with the laser cannon!

Oh god, my sides!

• SynysterDreamer likes this

#14 Kirdan Kenobi

Kirdan Kenobi

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

I shot one of my PCs with a sharship laser cannon (to be fair I didn't think it would actually hit--it was a lucky, or unlucky if you prefer, roll): I added a +50 to the crit roll and he barely lived. Such as it was, my narrative was that the laser blast didn't hit him directly, it hit near him and the shrapnel and energy from the blast was what nearly killed him. The sad thing is it was a wookiee and from the plasma burns would probably keep him from ever growing hair on most of his body ever again. It was the last session of one-off adventure I was running anyway though.

• awayputurwpn, Colyer and swheelock like this

"Who's scruffy lookin'"

#15 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

I shot one of my PCs with a sharship laser cannon (to be fair I didn't think it would actually hit--it was a lucky, or unlucky if you prefer, roll): I added a +50 to the crit roll and he barely lived. Such as it was, my narrative was that the laser blast didn't hit him directly, it hit near him and the shrapnel and energy from the blast was what nearly killed him. 

This. Unless death-by-laser-cannon is the preferred outcome of the scene, give the PC/Nemesis a fighting chance. Have the "hit" be an indirect one, play out the Critical Injury roll, and narrate as appropriate. 

In the case of minions or rivals, though, just vape 'em. 

EDIT: Character Creation chapter, I get it now :) that's funny.  

Edited by awayputurwpn, 06 April 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#16 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

Dorsal and ventral twin medium laser cannons?  Sounds like a silhouette 4 vessel.  That would be 4 purple dice to hit a person, and they probably can't use the dorsal guns against ground targets while landed.

Mind you, if it hits... *splortch*...

An interesting point to remember is that star ship scale guns won't care about most cover available to PC's during a fight. 

Player: "I hide behind the wooden shipping crate, that should give me defence 1!"

GM: "The blasts from the star ship canons turn your cover into nothing more than flaming kindling as it tracks it's fire towards you"

Player: "Bugger."

• awayputurwpn, Col. Orange and Roy Stone like this

#17 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:41 AM

Honestly I doubt they could effectively use either set of guns on a person while landed, unless the ship is at the bottom of a hill and the characters are charging down it towards the vessel. The lower guns would be ineffective due to the ship being landed  while on anything close to level terrain the upper guns won't be able to aim low enough to hit the characters.

#18 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

Ships with a ventral turret can indeed sometimes fire when landed. It would probably need landing struts/gear/skids, otherwise it would be too low to the ground to effectively target them.

On the bright side, here are some possible options to save your players (I assume you want to save them):

1) Let their allies be the ones to get splattered, giving "our heroes" a chance to either rush the ship (and thus get out of danger) or run away when they realize this was a terrible idea.

2) As Hygric said, the scout ship probably can't use its dorsal turret, and if the ship is landed, the ventral turret has a weakness. It can't shoot through the landing struts that hold the ship up.

3) Offer players a roll of some sort (If this was AoR, I'd suggest Warfare) to figure out good tactics, like using the jungle to sneak up very carefully, or approaching from a direction where the turret can't hit them (like the struts and boarding ramps).

• FangGrip likes this

#19 thecableton

thecableton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Ships with a ventral turret can indeed sometimes fire when landed. It would probably need landing struts/gear/skids, otherwise it would be too low to the ground to effectively target them.

On the bright side, here are some possible options to save your players (I assume you want to save them):

1) Let their allies be the ones to get splattered, giving "our heroes" a chance to either rush the ship (and thus get out of danger) or run away when they realize this was a terrible idea.

2) As Hygric said, the scout ship probably can't use its dorsal turret, and if the ship is landed, the ventral turret has a weakness. It can't shoot through the landing struts that hold the ship up.

3) Offer players a roll of some sort (If this was AoR, I'd suggest Warfare) to figure out good tactics, like using the jungle to sneak up very carefully, or approaching from a direction where the turret can't hit them (like the struts and boarding ramps).

All good points apart from the third one which is kind of negated by the PCs current plan. They plant to use some droids to distract the turret (which, going by what others have said will work for all of two seconds).

They do plan on sneaking up on them but the downside to that is they've given The Empire too much time to actually prepare. They've had a few hours for their scout troopers to lay traps, set up sniping positions and so on. They're guerilla warfare lads, it's natural to assume they'd learn the area and make the best of it in the time they have.

It's also taking place in a dense jungle at night.... so they can easily get lost since there's virtually no light... Lot of people sneaking around means a lot of noise, jungle predators such as nexu are stalking around at night... 

Even if they get to the base, the scouts don't have the same hinderances at night as the players do since their helmets come with built in macrobicoculars in their faceplates. (As per Wookiepedia) and by that point it's just... death. 

It's a poorly conceived plan on their part to say the least.

#20 TarlSS

TarlSS

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

Infantry vs vehicle turrets ought to have massive bonuses to Stealth if you want to reflect the typical tank vs infantry cat and mouse game. Typically the cinematic idea behind this is that the limited view offered by a turret doesn't give you the full situational awareness being outside would.

EG, if there's dense terrain, infantry should win and be able to get close and either enter the vehicle or target a weakspot, whereas in an open plain tanks are king.

I would give Vigilance checks by the turret -2 setbacks, while stealth checks would gain +2 bonus. That way anyone bothering to be stealthy would probably live, whereas anyone who felt like they could hop around in the open gets shot.

Note that this DOES make gunners with High Vigilance and equipped with the appropriate scanner equipment extremely lethal.

The best strategy for the PCs is to use this stealth bonus to approach until they're engaged with the gunners, and then go Captain America on them, as you typically see in action movies.

Edited by TarlSS, 07 April 2014 - 08:49 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS