Rune mastery/ uncontrolled power timing question

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I'm not suggesting it's supposed to be "before dice are rolled," I'm just not so sure it's any time during the attack, and whether the window to play "after dice are rolled" ends before the time to exhaust rune mastery does.

How is "adding a surge to a blind dice roll" not suggesting that it must be used "before dice are rolled"?

Though like I said above, this is probably a better question for FFG than on here since there's so much disagreement about the interpretation.

#22 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm not suggesting it's supposed to be "before dice are rolled," I'm just not so sure it's any time during the attack, and whether the window to play "after dice are rolled" ends before the time to exhaust rune mastery does.

How is "adding a surge to a blind dice roll" not suggesting that it must be used "before dice are rolled"?

Though like I said above, this is probably a better question for FFG than on here since there's so much disagreement about the interpretation.

If I've implied that I meant the card needs to be exhausted before dice are rolled, I apologize. To clarify, the closest thing I said to that was that I think the card should be exhausted during the dice rolling step of combat (whether that's before or after) since it directly augments the dice results. Since I believe that to be the case, my suggestion is that I should be able to play "uncontrolled power" after the runemaster has exhausted his ability. To put it another way, I don't think he should be able to advance the steps of combat to the spend surge phase, and then just because I can supposedly no longer play "uncontrolled power," add a surge and spend it.

In any case, I submitted the question a few days ago. I'm just waiting on an answer.

#23 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I agree with Griton. 

Either is allowed to wait and see what the other does and either is allowed to respond to the other's ability with his/her ability.  This kind of situation creates so many awesome strategy choices that I can only conclude that its existence is intentional.  For instance, the Runemaster can simply decide that he's not going to use Rune Mastery until the Uncontrolled Power is used up, but this runs the risk of not getting to use it at all.  Conversely, the Overlord can choose not to play Uncontrolled Power until the Runemaster activates his extra surge, but then he runs of never being able to the play the card if the Runemaster is simply willing to live without his extra surge.  It's a Princess-Bride-style stand-off, and it makes the game much more interesting.

Ultimately, the player who is more willing to let combat go through unmolested is in a better position.

- Jee

It looks like you were right. I just got an official answer from Nathan at FFG.

Rule Question:
What is the timing relationship between "when attacking" and "after dice are rolled"? For example, if a hero with the rune mastery skill attacks a monster, when can (or must) the overlord use a card like "uncontrolled power"? Must the hero choose to exhaust rune mastery before the OL plays the card, or is there a time after which the OL cannot play "uncontrolled power," but rune mastery can still be exhausted? Thank you.

Answer:

“When attacking” is poor wording for timing. I would use/exhaust Rune Mastery after rolling dice. Because of this, both cards have the same timing. Either player can use their card before the other. If the Runemaster uses Runic Mastery after the overlord has played Uncontrolled Power, the overlord would still get to decide how to spend that surge. 

Thanks for playing,
Nathan Hajek 

It's a standoff of wits and determination! I like it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS