Acquisition Modifier for Scale

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Ok, so this has been bugging me for a while now.

The table for acquisiton modifiers on page 272 has examples for "Scale". The example for "Negligible" (+30) is "Single Man". "Trivial" (+20) is "Squad (3-5)". "Minor" (+10) is "Platoon (10-30)". And so on.

The problem is, there's a gap between each category. If you want 2 items, is that "Negligible" or "Trivial" Scale? What if you want 7? 

How do y'all deal with this?

#2 Chaki

Chaki

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

"Yay, spare parts!" basically

To elaborate: I understand each line as an "approximate". If you have a squad of 6 people, the modifier is still +20.

Edited by Chaki, 06 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

To elaborate: I understand each line as an "approximate". If you have a squad of 6 people, the modifier is still +20.

So you'd use

1-2 +30

3-9 +20

10-49 +10

50-499 +0

etc. ?

Seems like it will get a bit silly for the Negligible (+30) category, where PCs will be ordering 2 of everything. And it's quite a jump from "max 100" to "max 499" in the "Standard" category.

I think I'll just add a +/- 5 category in each gap. 

2 +25 

6-9 +15

31-49 +5

101-499 -5

etc.

#4 Chaki

Chaki

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Well, my group likes the approach "Oh, we need a Common Heavy Bolter? Lets try to form a platoon of Heavy Bolters!"

#5 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I traditionally treat Acquisitions as more than just buying something, and provide a supply of the item in question. You don't buy one grenade, you acquire one supply of grenades (Generally I describe this as a Mechanicus artisan and/or the relevant design rites) that enables you to keep up to three on your person. If the players want grenades for the whole party, they can do that. 

It also makes a lot of plot/fluff-related elements regarding Upkeep tests available as well. That mechanicus artisan has been working loyally for months to craft those deadly rad-grenades the Rogue Trader demanded, but he's run out of a source of fissionable materials; he could reduce the quality of the grenades by using by-products from the engine coils, import them from the Lathes at exorbitant prices.

Anyway, I largely handwave the amounts. 100 Lasguns isn't really the same as 100 mercenaries.

#6 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

I went with allowing +30 if they're getting twin items. Two plasma pistols for dual-wielding? Yeah, sure. Two suits of power armour? No, suck up that -10 and buy suits for everyone, you spoiled brat.

The Magos says he has no crude emotions to control

Just an iron fist, an iron will and an iron-banded soul

#7 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

I tend to just insert a middle step.

"1 is +30, 3-5 are +20, but you want exactly 2? try +25"

- actual quote.

• Amaimon likes this

#8 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

I do it just like that. There's so many instances where players might want 2 of something.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS