• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

A Green with Push the Limit and Assault missiles (or a cheaper variation) would run you 25-27pts. They can Focus and TL in on turn. 

Aye, but they wouldn't fit in to a 75 point build with a Y.

Well I guess

2 x Green, PTL and AM

Naked Grey

Edited by Glentopher, 06 April 2014 - 08:30 AM.

Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#22 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Okay, if he really want to only use those ship with the cards they come with, there is pretty much only one way and that is:

Horton Salm+R2 unit+Proton Torpedoes+Proton Torpedoes+Ion Cannon

Tycho Celchu+Push the Limit+Homing Missile

Green Pilot+Push the Limit+Homing Missile

It is not an optimal build, but 3 ship only is not optimal anyway. The problem is that he picked both ship with only 2 attack dice.

If you don't mind lending him a X-Wing and him using cards he might not have, here is a Squad I used a couple time and had success with it:

Garven Dreis

Dutch Vander+Ion Turret

Green Squadron+Opportunist

Green Squadron+Opportunist

Alternatively, he could give one A-Wing Push the Limit and a R2 unit to Dutch.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#23 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

A Green with Push the Limit and Assault missiles (or a cheaper variation) would run you 25-27pts. They can Focus and TL in on turn. 

Aye, but they wouldn't fit in to a 75 point build with a Y.

Well I guess

2 x Green, PTL and AM

Naked Grey

If running at 75 pts, I would prefer

2x Green+Push the Limit+Concussion Missile

Gold+Ion Turret

I consider Ion Turret a must in this kind of buid: turret, 3 dice attack and ion is really good against Tie, you just can't do more than one damage, but odds are you wouldn't anyway with 2 dice (based on a uneducated guess, no math behind to back it up, but you know... never tell me the odds...)

Edited by Red Castle, 06 April 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• catachan23 likes this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#24 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Buy him a falcon. He can run Chewie, Gold Squad with Ion + R2 Astro, and two prototype A-wings. Sounds fun and competitive enough in casual play.

A falcon would also make a better "gift" than small expansions. :P

Edited by Skargoth, 06 April 2014 - 08:54 AM.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#25 MikeEMcGee

MikeEMcGee

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

If he's going to take underpowered builds, perhaps you need to do the same to level the field. Try your own 3 ship build, and load up on ordnance??

#26 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

A falcon would also make a better "gift" than small expansions. 

Richard is that you?

#27 Eggs

Eggs

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I tried a build like this tonight, just to see how it was.  I got my ass whupped pretty soundly.  A wings are fragile, and can't put out the hurt.  Y wing is a slow lumbering tank, that can't put out the hurt.  Maybe just be honest and point out that 'the rule of cool' isn't always successful strategically.  

#28 DFocke

DFocke

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Another option if your friend only wants to play A-wings and Y-wings is to pick up one more of each.  That would at least give him more ships, and more shooting.

3 prototype pilots

2 gold squadron pilots w/ ion turret cannons and R2 units

might even make for a decent (if not good) list.

#29 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

The problem with A,A,Y is you simply don't have enough gun for 100 pts. Can't speak for the A-wing because I'm in the UK too and thus can't get B-wings, A-wings or non-ace Interceptors for any price that isn't ridiculous, but Y-wing I've found works best with upgrades that aren't in its pack. I tend to give it Boost to give it some half-decent turning abilities.
He's also got some pretty hard ships to play: making the most out of the Ion Cannon requires a fair bit of understanding and skill.

What sort of lists are you using?

#30 X Wing Nut

X Wing Nut

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

if its all you have

Horton Ion, proton x 2, R2D2

Tycho PTL, take your pick missile

Arvel

99 pt

might take the challange myself

My lists are based on optimisim and my strategy is luck. Green dice are the enemy but I'm always flying casual

and Yoda help me, Marzaums and I now have a You Tube channel

https://www.youtube..../FlyCasualxwing

#31 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Well, we had this dog fight tonight.

He had:

2x PTL Green with cluster

1x Gold with Ion

I had:

2 x Royal Guard

1 x Sontir Fel with PTL

He was very unlucky with his missiles and I won with Sontir on 2HP and 1 Royal guard left on 1HP.

I think though, since his ion cannon really world for him and the match was enjoyable, that he's more enthused, and is hoping to use Dutch and Garven with some A's next week in 100 point game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS