30 replies to this topic

#1 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

I'm asking for a friend. 

One of the people I play x-wing with picked himself up 2 A-wings and a Y-wing, I think mostly for rule of cool. They are the ships he likes.

The problem is that's all he runs with and I always beat him and he's lost enthusiasm for the game, can anyone help with a list that might work well with these 3 ships. Possibly with something else thrown in that he can borrow from me? 

Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#2 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Please tell me he's got some other ships to add to the mix. These aren't the guys you want to do a 3-ship build on...

#3 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

3 ship builds tend to be a bit weaker in the current game.

A-wings tend to be a bit weaker in the current game.

Y-wings are workhorses but don't throw many attack dice.

Your friend is basically handicapping himself.

At least add in someone like Wedge on an Xwing. 

I write in short sentences. Today. 

• berusplants, DraconPyrothayan, polmoneys and 1 other like this

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs, 1 YT 1300, Rebel Aces

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray, Imp Aces

#4 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

He doesn't have anything else, I feel that's why he keeps loosing but I don't want to be a d**k about it. I might just buy him another ship but i'm trying to find a decent build so i know what to get. Also I have 2-B's, 2 X's  and a YT he can use if I'm playing imperial.

#5 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

He doesn't have anything else, I feel that's why he keeps loosing but I don't want to be a d**k about it. I might just buy him another ship but i'm trying to find a decent build so i know what to get. Also I have 2-B's, 2 X's  and a YT he can use if I'm playing imperial.

Here's an option: play a 60-75 point game instead of a 100 point game. He'll get to use his three ships, and you won't be overpowered against him.

#6 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Ask him to get, or get yourself, an E-Wing. That brings R7-T1, which will work very nicely with Dutch. It adds speed to the Y wing while still getting the TL's to spread around.
Wave 4 also brings the Z95 with the wingman EPT which may also prove very useful to him.

#7 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Good idea on the 75 points thing! It's not as if I'm a power gamer or anything, I just feel like he's never rolling enough attack dice.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#8 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Wave 4 is a while off and even further for me as I can never get hold of new ships in the UK. I'm still trying to get myself some Tie-Bombers.

#9 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

And of course, once Rebel Aces swings around...

#10 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

I will be getting at least 2 rebel aces, but what will they do for the A,A,Y ? build?

#11 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

Wave 4 is a while off and even further for me as I can never get hold of new ships in the UK. I'm still trying to get myself some Tie-Bombers.

Due around june I see on my side of the channel, just check european webshops as well. :P.

But there are options, for him as well, even more further down the line with the Transport and the Rebel Aces, even if he doesn't want to add other ships.

You can't convince him to go to a four ship list with two of each?

Two ion gray squadrons and two ptl green squadrons are better than what he's using after all.

#12 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

I will be getting at least 2 rebel aces, but what will they do for the A,A,Y ? build?

More pilot choices, cheaper a wings with the refit, double ept's for the a wing, proton rockets.

#13 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Due around june I see on my side of the channel, just check european webshops as well.

Yeah but it's very hard to get hold of them.

You can't convince him to go to a four ship list with two of each?

I could pick up another Y yeah but is it going to make a decent list? He's certainly interested in the E-wing but if we had a game next week what would be a good list with 2A's a Y and an X?

2 PTL Greens 

1 Ion Cannon Grey

Garven ?

#14 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Also, in your 75 point list game, think of doing an Alpha-Strike list with two Assault Missiles and a Proton Torpedo. Take out some key targets on the first round of combat, weaken the rest of the opponents.... If you deal more than 14 points worth of damage, you've done good.

#15 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

I'd say Garven and Dutch, plus upgrades and some naked A wings

#16 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

Also, in your 75 point list game, think of doing an Alpha-Strike list with two Assault Missiles and a Proton Torpedo. Take out some key targets on the first round of combat, weaken the rest of the opponents.... If you deal more than 14 points worth of damage, you've done good.

How Would you put that list together? Any which way wouldn't you be launching missiles with no focus on the first round? 

#17 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Christ! Garven and Dutch are a nasty pair aren't they!

#18 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Christ! Garven and Dutch are a nasty pair aren't they!

They're the oldest combo in the game, and they're amazing together.

How Would you put that list together? Any which way wouldn't you be launching missiles with no focus on the first round? 

You could do "Dutch" and two Greens for 75 with that missile loadout
You could do a Gold and two Greens with that missile loadout and an Ion Cannon Turret
You could do a Gold and two Greens with Assault Missiles, Push the Limit, and R5-D8

You could do a Gold and two Greens with that missile loadout, R5-D8, and Deadeye

et c. et c. et c.

#19 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

All I meant was that the A's can't focus and TL on the same turn so turn one will be firing missiles without focus won't they?

I'm not so familiar with Alpha strike but I though that you shouldn't really unload missiles without TL and focus behind them.

I guess dutch could hand one of the a TL and take R5-K6 and hope to give the other a TL too.

#20 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

All I meant was that the A's can't focus and TL on the same turn so turn one will be firing missiles without focus won't they?

I'm not so familiar with Alpha strike but I though that you shouldn't really unload missiles without TL and focus behind them.

I guess dutch could hand one of the a TL and take R5-K6 and hope to give the other a TL too.

A Green with Push the Limit and Assault missiles (or a cheaper variation) would run you 25-27pts. They can Focus and TL in on turn. 

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs, 1 YT 1300, Rebel Aces

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray, Imp Aces

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS