• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi!

I've been on these boards since the day it was announced that FFG got the rights to Star Wars.  Love the game. Played it twice with my son. Hoped to get him hooked, but between video games and his newly-discovered interest in girls, he's not so keen. [pacino]"I'm in the dark here, y'understand?"[/pacino]  :D

Anybody else in my situation? I'm dying to play, but the idea of showing my face at some tournament with a bunch of you (probably much younger) mega-gamers is extremely intimidating. I've got the base game and only one of each expansion so far (can't buy too heavy if I'm not gonna play), a positive attitude, and a desire to have casual games with folks who aren't just gonna whoop my noob butt and send me home crying.  :D

Anybody like me in Toronto? Hell, in the world? I'd be interested in hearing some isolated-casual-player stories, even if you're not local.  :)

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 05 April 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

The average age of people on here is around 40+ so don't knock yourself.

X-wing is like crack cocaine. All you have to do is get a buddy or two to try it and they will go out and buy 1 of everything (quite likely more) and then you'll have a regular play group.

There is a thread in the organized play section that talked specifically about T.O. Have a look for that thread topic. It might be a few pages back.

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

#3 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

@Sergovan: not sure if that's wholly accurate... but I digress.

Thompson, don't let age restrict you from having fun in this game, or any game of this nature for that matter. There's likely to be plenty of people who're willing to give the dice a roll with you somewhere, given the size of the GTA. I'm sure there must be some way you can look into finding players relatively close to you!

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#4 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

There's a T.O. thread! Sweet! It'll help when I move back to T.O.

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

[pacino]"I'm in the dark here, y'understand?"[/pacino]  :D

Hoo-ah!

https://www.facebook...18658075/?ref=5

There's also this ^

The age range there is all over, primarily adults, so you're not going to come in looking out of place.  The attitudes of all the players I've met there were 100% positive.  We're all there to take a stab at a tournament prize, but everyone's going to have fun doing it, if you follow my meaning.

#6 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

Meeplemart just moved to Spadina & Sullivan (south of Dundas/north of Queen).  They started having X-Wing /Attack Wing nights this past Friday evening (Sci-Fri).  It was not a tournament, just casual pick up games.  We had ten players or so.  Many players were looking to do much more than straight up tournament style matches, like scenarios and different rules variants.  If you can make it, I think this is your best bet Mr. Thompson.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#7 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=4U0AqxlxfBs

#8 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Found the link posted last year.

X-Wing in Toronto?

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Thank you for the help, guys - lots of great info here. I will investigate!

#10 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

I think the Store Championship at X-Planet next month is exactly the type of thing you are not looking for of all the upcoming SWX events. 

The Dueling Grounds Friday nights kind of fizzled out last fall.  Best bet is either Meeplemart Fridays or join the facebook group in my signature and give a shout out, it is common for players to meet up all the time for casual games that way, 168 players and counting.  I thought you were a member at one point in the early days, when it was called Star Wars Miniatures Toronto.

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#11 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

There's also the Facebook group: https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/ which is listed as "Southern Ontario" but is composed of lots of players in Toronto too. I'm outside of Toronto myself, but I follow that one as it's a good clearing house of information for much of the province.

And yeah, at the local store tournament we had in Peterborough this past weekend, we were all 30+ so you'll be right at home.

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49, 2 Reb Aces

#12 R2-EQ

R2-EQ

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

I. J. Thompson,

R5-Don4 is a pillar of the local community. I'd take his advice.

>desire to have casual games with folks who aren't just gonna whoop my noob butt and send me home crying.

That's never going to happen, this game is too fun to ever end up crying. Btw, I have yet to play an opponent I haven't liked.

So you know, the 3rd x-wing game I ever played in my life was for a kessel run tournament in Toronto back in the day (how time flies!). That was actually the first tournament for any game I ever attended in my life as well. Talk about jumping in! I don't play any hobby games but my love of star wars and x-wing got me out and involved.

That day I had lots of fun and have been a regular player ever since. By far most of the games I play are in tournaments as none of my friends want to geek out playing x-wing. Tournaments are not scary places. Your fear of the unknown is holding you back from having fun.

I'd listen to Don but also tell you not to rule out tournaments. You're going to have lots of fun, meet people who love the game as much as you and give you insights into how to play better.

Just wear waterproof clothing and bring a towel the first time out as new players that show up and loose all their games must undergo a hazing ritual.

#13 Krynn007

Krynn007

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

I feel your pain
I'min pei, and there isn't many players here.
Had to drive to moncton just for a tournament
I wouldn't worry about age limits.
Most are adults I assume.
There was no children at the tournament I was at

Rebels

4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,

Imperials

6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 2 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 1 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#14 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Tournaments in general are pretty casual for the most part, usually with around 8 players, sometimes 12, usually not more than that unless it is a special event drawing people out of the woodwork.  New players come out all the time, it is not uncommon for someone who's only played a couple of casual games at home to show up for their first tournament.  Our facebook group has grown exponentially over the last year, from 52 players a year ago to 168 players today and counting.  Any event I hear about I create events and invite all members of the group.

As far as ages and gender, the majority of players are men 30+, but it is not unheard of for preteens and teens to be there as well the occasional female (!) as well as plenty of young men in their 20's.

#15 DarthMuz

DarthMuz

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

+1 Casual Toronto player here.  I'm downtown and without car so haven't been venturing out further into the GTA for any organised play.  Have only been playing against my wife so far.  This meeplemart sounds promising tho. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS