Taleweaver and Caves of Wonders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Finally got around to trying the fireland expansion for the first time. We encountered two cards that we found confusing. First the taleweaver. Draw the 3 bottom cards from ANY advneture deck. At the start of any character's turn you may place 1 card on THE adventure deck. Now what does THE adventure deck mean? Is it the the main adventure deck, the deck of the region your in, the one your opponents deck or the same deck as you drew the card from. We played to place the cadd on your chosen opponents deck. Correct?

As for the other card, the cave of wonder.. . Does it stay on the board or can you only use it once? It's a place with encounter nr 1 so it's a bit special. If you read it word for word it tells you to draw 3 cards and place it on the space no matter what. Then you encounter all cards, which may be infinite if this is correct as I can't find anything about discarding the cave. Correct?

Otherwise I really like the firelands. I removed adventure cards and spells from all other expansions, except highland and dungeon as we use those boards but they're to few to count anyway, so the fire theme is really strong. Lately I've come to believe that expansions are supposed to be played for themselves so that the theme will be clear. I keep all other stuff from the expansions though - quests, rewards etc.

Allright, hope you're enjoying the weekend. I am for sure!

#2 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I only played this expansion once, but in most cases THE adventure deck usually refers to the main adventure deck.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#3 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

The taleweaver I would take to mean you can go through any adventure deck(main, highland, city, dungeon, dragon decks, etc.) that is in play and choose one card to put on the main or original adventure deck.

In spirit of the game, I would probably allow the player to put it on which ever deck they wanted too....

The Caves of Wonder is a place, so yes, it stays on the space. Whenever a character decides to encounter the space they draw 3 cards and encounter them in order with any other cards on the space. This is potentially a space that could end with a LOT of cards if there was some tough enemies there.

#4 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Right!

Taleweaver is a strange one it says "When you gain Taleweaver" so you only draw adventurer cards when you gain Taleweaver now the "draw 3 cards from the bottom of any adventure deck" would I think still have to go by the normal adventurer cards drawing rules I think its just the bottom drawing that has invoked the Taleweavers wordings. Thus when you gain the Taleweaver and your in a expansion say "Highlands" (travilling on the Highlands board) you draw 3 cards from the bottom of the Highlands deck. The same would be true with the placing of the cards, it would matter where you are if your in the middle region you can only place it on the adventurer deck at the start of any players turn.

The Cave of Wonders can only be encountered once each time you land on it plus the turn in which its drawn. But yes if players land there often it can end up with Alot of cards on the space.. Interesting isnt it.. Anyone got "Destruction".

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

These are both interesting questions.

First the taleweaver. Draw the 3 bottom cards from ANY advneture deck. At the start of any character's turn you may place 1 card on THE adventure deck. Now what does THE adventure deck mean? Is it the the main adventure deck, the deck of the region your in, the one your opponents deck or the same deck as you drew the card from. We played to place the cadd on your chosen opponents deck. Correct?

The Taleweaver has a complex effect that would have required a lot of text to explain, and some parts might be unclear. The instruction "from any Adventure deck" looks clear to everybody in this thread, but it should be the one that creates the most confusion. It suggests that is not only from the bottom of THE Adventure deck (which is the deck where you draw from in your current Region, if you put together all rules from different expansions), but can be "from any deck that can be referred to as an Adventure deck". This is something new that partially overrides rules for drawing Adventure cards introduced with the various expansions.

So you may take 3 cards from the bottom of either the Adventure, Dungeon, Highland or City deck (no Dragons and Nether!), place them on Taleweaver, then you can put them on top of THE Adventure deck following the normal rules (again, the Adventure deck is the deck where you draw from in your current Region).

As for the other card, the cave of wonder.. . Does it stay on the board or can you only use it once? It's a place with encounter nr 1 so it's a bit special. If you read it word for word it tells you to draw 3 cards and place it on the space no matter what. Then you encounter all cards, which may be infinite if this is correct as I can't find anything about discarding the cave. Correct?

Caves of Wonder is a Place card and it stays on the space for the rest of the game, allowing to draw 3 extra cards and encounter them right away. We were used to have a sentence written on Strangers and Places (it will remain here for the rest of the game), but it takes a lot of space inside the box. It might not be the case of Caves of Wonder, but on more articulate wordings that sentence might not fit. Events are usually discarded after encountering them, while Strangers and Places stay on the board, no matter which encounter number is assigned to them.

#6 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

The one thing I disagreed at first when I read this is that Dragon Decks could not be chosen and drawn from as adventure decks.  I was getting hung up on the fact they are exactly like adventure cards in all respects.....but to support your proclamation that they couldn't be drawn from I see in the Dragon Rulebook on page 16:
"Special Abilities Involving Dragon Cards
Special abilities and effects that apply to Adventure Cards also
apply to Dragon Cards but only after they have been drawn
and placed on the board."

So that would conclude that Dragon decks can not be the decks chosen from.  

On further analysis and after pulling the Taleweaver out of the deck; it is a follower and states you may draw 3 cards from the bottom of ANY adventure deck and at the start of ANY characters turn you may place a card on top of the Adventure deck.  This looks like to me as though it does not matter what realm you are currently in and you could place them on top of ANY adventure deck.  This is highly interpretive though and could really go either way but I would still think you could place it on top of the Adventure deck you believe a Character will be drawing from......

#7 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

Yeah having read what you guys are saying the "any" is key. The rule for special rules that override current rules would apply. Just hope the wording isnt a precuser to splitting the large adventurer deck.

#8 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Having read everything I've decided that our original ruling is most likely the correct one and we'll continue to play by it. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS