Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Lets ask Mr Owl...

One...Two...Three...Crunch

Three

Oh, wait, that was to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Nevermind.

• StevenO likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#62 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Except the empire likely did not have a clear order of succession like a modern democracy does. The emperor was a power hungry megalomaniac who probably truly thought he would live forever unless one of his minions assassinated him.

The Emperor/Darth Sidius was the most powerful Sith Lord ever, as such he had powers that Jedi couldn't even dream of. Now if you really get into the EU it's almost sicking just how badass Sid actually is... I mean at one point he creates a black hole with the force...

But he had a number of clone bodies ready to go, and even if someone like Vader managed to take him out, he had plans to transfer his essence/soul/mind/whatever into a clone body. He wasn't at all really worried about losing grips on his empire, because he had plans in place if something were to happen to him. So there was no one who was going to step up and take over after he was gone.

In fact he made a point of playing the various Moffs and other high ranking people off each other, so none of them could team up against him.

#63 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

The problem I had with the destruction of the Executor, was that even today ships have redundant control stations. A ship that size probably would have had dozens. Take out the bridge and control simply changes to a backup bridge and the ship keeps flying and fighting.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere at some point that Arvel crashing in the SSD wasn't what actually caused it to crash.  And that indeed control was transferred to a backup bridge.  I think it had something to do with their engines/repulsor lifts being attacked and the gravity of the DS2 pulled it into orbit.  

But I can't find that anymore, and the Wiki directly contradicts this (as does quite a bit of lore in terms of video games), so *shrug.  Maybe at some point I'll find that reference again and fix the Wiki.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#64 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

The problem I had with the destruction of the Executor, was that even today ships have redundant control stations. A ship that size probably would have had dozens. Take out the bridge and control simply changes to a backup bridge and the ship keeps flying and fighting.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere at some point that Arvel crashing in the SSD wasn't what actually caused it to crash.  And that indeed control was transferred to a backup bridge.  I think it had something to do with their engines/repulsor lifts being attacked and the gravity of the DS2 pulled it into orbit.  

But I can't find that anymore, and the Wiki directly contradicts this (as does quite a bit of lore in terms of video games), so *shrug.  Maybe at some point I'll find that reference again and fix the Wiki.

the reason for the crashing was, that crashing is way more fun than a random explosion,  in particular when there is already enough stuff exploding left and right. ;)

One of the most interesting aspects of the EU stuff is, that they try to bring order into chaos and system into the force driven plot of the movies. :)

#65 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Avrel's crashing his a-wing was just the final straw.  If you remember Admiral Ackbar had previously ordered all craft to concentrate their fire on the SSD.  I assume that the combined focused might of the bulk of the Rebel fleet had something to do with its destruction.

With the death of the Emperor, the destruction of the death star and the loss of the flagship, completely stripped the Imperial Fleet of its command structure.  The remaining Imperial forces were of sufficient strength to destroy the remaining rebel forces, but with no one to take command of the battle they had lost.  What followed was a disorganized mess, where part of the forces tried to retreat, and other ships tried to press the attack.  With no coordination the battle was lost for the Empire.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#66 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Except the empire likely did not have a clear order of succession like a modern democracy does. The emperor was a power hungry megalomaniac who probably truly thought he would live forever unless one of his minions assassinated him.

The Emperor/Darth Sidius was the most powerful Sith Lord ever, as such he had powers that Jedi couldn't even dream of. Now if you really get into the EU it's almost sicking just how badass Sid actually is... I mean at one point he creates a black hole with the force...

But he had a number of clone bodies ready to go, and even if someone like Vader managed to take him out, he had plans to transfer his essence/soul/mind/whatever into a clone body. He wasn't at all really worried about losing grips on his empire, because he had plans in place if something were to happen to him. So there was no one who was going to step up and take over after he was gone.

In fact he made a point of playing the various Moffs and other high ranking people off each other, so none of them could team up against him.

?? Which is exactly what I was saying.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#67 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

?? Which is exactly what I was saying.

Yeah I was just expanding on what you said.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS