Experiences with Miniature Market and Pre-ordering

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Glentopher

Glentopher

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

My experience with pre-ordering x-wing stuff in the UK has been 100% negative.

I pre-ordered B-wings and a Lambda from wave 3 and they got cancelled leaving me to scrabble for some from various sources. I was short on cash at the time so only went in for those and I am struggling to find Tie-Bombers anywhere in the UK now.

I pre-ordered imperial aces for Wayland games to then not get enough in and cancel my order. I then took to e-bay to get mine as no where had them! 

I pretty much want 2 of each ship in wave 4 (4 headhunters) but there's no way I'll be able to get them all at once from one place, stock in the UK seems to be a joke.

Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#42 DragonBones

DragonBones

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

Keep in mind that they will hold shipment if your pre-order comes in at different times.  So, lets say you pre-order the two new large ships and you even pre-order the rebel aces... they will not ship until the rebel aces comes in.  they view it at ONE order. Be aware, especially if you are making one order to qualify for free shipping.  

• z0m4d likes this

#43 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Maybe I'm different about it, but when I order online, I dont factor the shipping into my final cost/savings... MM cost me 20 bucks for the Aces.. my flgs just over 30 with tax.. net savings over 10 bucks... shipping is a cost I pay to get it to me and nonissue in my book..
  • QuinnCee likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#44 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

And realizing that the small ship prices basically equal "Buy 2 get 1 free" kinda makes it hard to buy anything at MSRP. 

For a small order of 2 units, you're only saving $10, and only if you get free shipping.  Even 6 units saves just $30.  Most people who have the disposable income to buy into this game should be able to pay a little extra so their FLGS can stay in business.

Edit: arithmetic!

I'm not sure if I even have a FLGS in my direct area, but I'll tend to order at the least expensive place anyway. I have used both Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc. I have a pretty large number of ships so at 33% off it adds up very quickly. Getting free shipping has never been an issue since my orders have always been over $100.

• z0m4d likes this

#45 aknorthroader

aknorthroader

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Keep in mind that they will hold shipment if your pre-order comes in at different times.  So, lets say you pre-order the two new large ships and you even pre-order the rebel aces... they will not ship until the rebel aces comes in.  they view it at ONE order. Be aware, especially if you are making one order to qualify for free shipping.  

though if you order enough from MM they will sometimes break it up...  I had put in a big order for the 2 large ships, 2 sets of all of wave 4 and 2 sets of Aces...  I didn't realize that they would hold the Aces, so when I bumped my wave 4 from 2 to 4, I asked that they combine shipping and send the Aces early, which they did.

as for the price of shipping...  I do a lot through USPS and their flat rates are about half of what MM will charge.  Even ordering over $100 doesn't get you a discount for shipping outside the 48.  However, it is next to impossible to get the latest ships here, so I pay for my habit...   :P

#46 UltimateZing

UltimateZing

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

I will back the popular opinion here of the other posters - Miniature Market is amazing at getting your product to you in a timely fashion. Although they ar enot the cheapest pre-order out there, they are timely with delivery, and any needs that you may have with their customer service.

Collection
Rebel: 12x X-Wing 12x Y-Wing 15x A-Wing (12 Pre-Order) 3x YT-1300 18x B-Wing (12 Pre-Order) 6x HWK-290 3x GR-75 Transport 3x Corellian Corvette 12x Z-95 Headhunter 12x E-Wing

Imperial: 15x TIE Fighter 12x TIE Advanced 27x TIE Interceptor 3x Firespray-31 6x TIE Bomber 4x Lambda Shuttle 12x TIE Defender 12x TIE Phantom

#47 born to lose

born to lose

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Did anyone notice that when Aces was on pre-order the price MM gave was $19.99? when Aces hit the market, the price went up to $23.96. Now it is at $23.96 and they are out of stock. I bought my Aces at my LGS at retail and with tax, the price I paid was only 3 dollars more than MM with their shipping. Plus I got it 2 days earlier than the official release date. Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many items from MM (Horrorclix, Pirates, LoTR among others) and I have always found their service and experience with them top notch. I just find this a little curious.

It also seems strange that they still have  the Starfield Tiles on pre-order when FFG has not even listed them on their upcoming products anymore. :unsure:

It's just supply and demand here at work.  CSI has done similar things when the HWK-290 or Interceptors were in short supply months ago.

You just have to be patient for supplies to come in so prices settle down once there is enough to support demand.

#48 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

+1 for Miniature Market being a good business.  I've never had a problem, and hope to do business with them again. 

ON a side note, this thread is giving me a severe case of deja vu.

• born to lose likes this

#49 bbalak

bbalak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I'm very new to this game, and I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I do have experience with this topic, which I will call:

"I will order it from the cheapest online source to save a small amount of money as compared to pre-ordering it from my local store." 

About a decade ago, I used to be heavily involved in R/C touring cars, to the point where I probably had a few thousand dollars in equipment, tools, different cars, etc for racing on the weekends. I even ran a small website to do product reviews and made some extra money on the site from ad revenue to offset my hobby costs. There were several people who had the same attitude - "Why should I pay $2 more for that new "part", plus sales tax to buy it from the local hobby store, when I can order from "Internet giant hobby store", pay no tax, and get free shipping? This was an attitude that a lot of my fellow hobby friends had - including myself. We would go to the local hobby store to race on the weekends and have a great time. Over time, the race entry fees would go up and up. Eventually, the store went out of business, we lost our track, and I ended up having to sell all my stuff because there was no where to race. 

Just this weekend, I found a local store in my area that has friendly X-Wing tournaments. They are a well stocked store, and there were several people there laughing, having a good time, and enjoying themselves playing various games. While I was there, I purchased an extra Tie-Fighter, which was priced about $1.25 more than Amazon. I know this, because all I needed to do was pull out my phone, scan the bar code, and Amazon instantly told me their price. I'm a Prime member, so I can even get most ships sent to me for free via 2 day air, no tax.

I talked with one of the employees, informing him how little I know about the game, and that I've been playing it with my 8 year old daughter (who is quickly becoming a Star Wars fan) and has some kind of mutant super power of rolling critical hits.

"Please come out and join us!"
"But well, we're not very good, and we're still learning the rules..."
"Don't worry, just come and have fun"

And that's why I'll be buying my ships from the local store from now on.

I realize there are some of you that probably don't have a local store, and I can understand why you would need to order from Amazon, or other online store. If you have a local store, order from them - especially if you enjoying playing with your friends in your local community.

My 2 cents. 

• WonderWAAAGH, Lappenlocker, z0m4d and 1 other like this

#50 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Having both purchased and sold items with Mini Market, i can tell you that my experience has been a good one.  Support was always prompt and helpful when i needed it.  Orders have always been shipped timely, and never had a damaged shipment.  When selling items to them, they were responsive, and sent me my money very quickly.

All in all, i have had nothing but positive experiences with them and recommend them to my friends.

*Disclaimer* - I do live in the US

Edited by Johdo, 07 April 2014 - 09:15 AM.

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#51 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

If you have a local store, order from them - especially if you enjoying playing with your friends in your local community.

I'd like to do that more often but...

I plan on getting 15 ships with wave 4. 3 Defenders, 3 Phantoms, 3 E-Wings and 6 Z-95's. That will come out to be right around $150 if I preorder them from MM, which also means free shipping.

If I buy them at my LGS, it will cost me around $240.

I like my LGS, but not enough to spend nearly $100 more on Wave 4 with them then what it costs online.
  • oneway and MajorJuggler like this

#52 z0m4d

z0m4d

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I like my LGS, but not enough to spend nearly $100 more on Wave 4 with them then what it costs online.

I've approached the owner of my FLGS with a price comparison on a large pre-order.  He wasn't able to match, but did work the price a bit so I could keep my money in store.

• bbalak likes this

#53 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm planning on getting 20 ships (8 Z-95 and 4 of everything else) so the difference is $200 at MM vs $300 MSRP. Its not a difficult choice for me, especially since I haven't had any bad experiences with MM.

#54 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Local gaming stores give you a place to play and meet new people. Online retailers don't do that, but they can undercut those local stores and put them out of business. I'm sure I'm not the only person to see a local game shop go under. "I saved 20/50/100 bucks" might sound like a good thing in the short term, but when you find yourself having to drive a few cities away to get in a couple friendly matches, you might reconsider. Your experiences may differ, of course. Just some food for thought.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 07 April 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• z0m4d and TezzasGames like this

A study in scarlet letters.

#55 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have pre-ordered alot from MM and have gotten everything I ordered with in a few days of when they got it in. Nothing but 100% satisfaction from me on thier part.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist, 07 April 2014 - 10:23 AM.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#56 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

but when you find yourself having to drive a few cities away to get in a couple friendly matches, you might reconsider.

I make a point of buying stuff from my LGS, I bought Imperial Aces and a X-wing from them, but I also don't play X-Wing there. I have a group of friends and we play in our homes, so I don't go to the LGS for games.

I just can't justify effectively throw away $200-300 a year for the sake of having a LGS. If it's a matter of $20 or even $40 I'll buy local, but much past that and we're talking about getting nearly 2 ships for the price of 1.

#57 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

but when you find yourself having to drive a few cities away to get in a couple friendly matches, you might reconsider.

I make a point of buying stuff from my LGS, I bought Imperial Aces and a X-wing from them, but I also don't play X-Wing there. I have a group of friends and we play in our homes, so I don't go to the LGS for games.I just can't justify effectively throw away $200-300 a year for the sake of having a LGS. If it's a matter of $20 or even $40 I'll buy local, but much past that and we're talking about getting nearly 2 ships for the price of 1.

No judgment, friend. We all live different lives in different places. I was just making an observation, and cautioning people to be mindful of the possible repercussions of their spending habits.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 07 April 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#58 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

If we are gonna have the "Online Discount Store vs. Local Gaming Store" debate, I'm only going to point out a few opinions of mine:
1. My closest store is about a 70 miles away. That ends up being about $16, round trip, in fuel alone.
I'm not gonna spend that time and extra money when I can get minis from MM or CSI and get several extra ships for the price of "supporting my LGS." If I had $1000 to spend on this game, maybe I would. But I don't. It's not me being greedy or selfish; it's me having a budget.
2. I've worked on a family owned organic fruit farm for about 5 years, so I know more than a few things about supporting "the little guys." That being said, when someone chooses not to buy your product because of the pricing (regardless of whether or not it is MSRP, or "just a few dollars") you have two choices: keep your current price and rely on your customers with bigger pocketbooks, or lower your prices a bit. That's just business. That's a decision the LGS has to make.
3. Different people have different budgets! I've read "if you're playing this game, you can afford blah blah blah." Ha! Do YOU know everyone else's financial situation is? Can you vouch for the contents of their bank account? No? Then worry about where your own money goes. Who are you to say, "if you can't afford $____, then you don't deserve to play."
4. The people running the gaming stores are adults. They can make their own business decisions, and decide their prices and content. They also should have plenty of other games to fill their shelves. If some guy opened a store, and only sold XWM stuff, and sold it all for $10+ MSRP, would you buy all your stuff from him, simply because he was your LGS?

/rant
  • oneway likes this

#59 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I was just making an observation, and cautioning people to be mindful of the possible repercussions of their spending habits.

I get it :)

I'll be honest, I wish FFG would of adopted the same policy that Privateer Press did, they don't allow any online retailer to sell their stuff for more then 10% below MSRP, that means you just don't get great deals online.

If I could save at most 10% online I don't bother. I'll gladly spend the extra as a "table tax", but when you start looking at a %33 reduction...
  • oneway likes this

#60 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

If we are gonna have the "Online Discount Store vs. Local Gaming Store" debate, I'm only going to point out a few opinions of mine:
1. My closest store is about a 70 miles away. That ends up being about $16, round trip, in fuel alone.
I'm not gonna spend that time and extra money when I can get minis from MM or CSI and get several extra ships for the price of "supporting my LGS." If I had $1000 to spend on this game, maybe I would. But I don't. It's not me being greedy or selfish; it's me having a budget.
2. I've worked on a family owned organic fruit farm for about 5 years, so I know more than a few things about supporting "the little guys." That being said, when someone chooses not to buy your product because of the pricing (regardless of whether or not it is MSRP, or "just a few dollars") you have two choices: keep your current price and rely on your customers with bigger pocketbooks, or lower your prices a bit. That's just business. That's a decision the LGS has to make.
3. Different people have different budgets! I've read "if you're playing this game, you can afford blah blah blah." Ha! Do YOU know everyone else's financial situation is? Can you vouch for the contents of their bank account? No? Then worry about where your own money goes. Who are you to say, "if you can't afford $____, then you don't deserve to play."
4. The people running the gaming stores are adults. They can make their own business decisions, and decide their prices and content. They also should have plenty of other games to fill their shelves. If some guy opened a store, and only sold XWM stuff, and sold it all for $10+ MSRP, would you buy all your stuff from him, simply because he was your LGS?
/rant

You make some valid points, but I would add that simply lowering the price is not always feasible for LGS. MM can lower their prices to ridiculous levels because of the sheer volume of business they do, much like Walmart or Sam's Club. A local gaming store is just that, local. If the solution was as simple as "just lower your prices!", those aforementioned businesses wouldn't have put so many mom and pop stores out of commission.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 07 April 2014 - 10:59 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS