X-Wing Terrain

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Ok, if this breaks forum rules, I apologize, and will edit the post to simply say "Oops".  Saw this on Beasts of War's weekender show, and just thought I'd put it out there for people who might be interested.  https://www.kickstar...o-moon?ref=live  It's a space station terrain kickstarter.  Looks OK to me, but I'm still reeling from the Dreadball Extreme kickstarter, so I may not be able to support it.

Edited by Audio Weasel, 05 April 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator, 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#2 t7thunders

t7thunders

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

I've seen this. It's nice.
But, for 250.00 I can get a crap ton of different mats and have money still left over for
Asteroids from GF9 and take my wife out to eat as well.

Still.....I bet this thing would look cool as hell on a table with plenty of ships under a black light and some of those laser turrets wired up with red lights.
  • LeoHowler likes this

#3 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Having played on FFG's Death Star, I can tell you that it is a complete ***** to maneuver on a non-flat surface. 

It was worth it for the epic feel of that one match, but I don't see myself doing it again any time soon. 

#4 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Having played on FFG's Death Star, I can tell you that it is a complete ***** to maneuver on a non-flat surface. 

It was worth it for the epic feel of that one match, but I don't see myself doing it again any time soon. 

They claim the surface is play-tested and even.  But, you bring up my worry.  Although, I am attracted to the 1/3 station pledge level. ($125)

#5 Thrawnshand

Thrawnshand

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

I backed it for 125. Looks pretty sharp, thanks for sharing.

X-Wings-10 TIE Fighters-16 TIE Advanced-1 Y-Wings-4  Falcon-1 Slave-1-1 TIE Interceptors-4 A-wing-4 HWK-290-3 TIE Bomber -4 B-wing-2 Imperial Shuttle-2 Imperial Aces-2 Rebel Transport-1 Tanitive IV-1

Why does Luke whine when Ben Kenobi dies, only having know the man a few days, yet Biggs, his childhood friend blows up behind him, covering his 6, and all he does is a double take?

#6 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

All the photos make it look wildly uneven and a difficult surface to move across. The asteroid bases are all the wrong size, and entirely do not conform to the "official" set-up requirements so they're entirely useless for tournaments (or even tournament training). Besides, 3d asteroids may look neat, but if the ship base would land right in the middle where the support stem is, it'd need to be moved or replaced so that the ship in question would be in the right position.

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75, 2 Reb Aces

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49

#7 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Way too much. I built my 4.5' by 6' Death Star with 3 trench for about $50, including 12 resin laser towers.

Enimo Et Fide

#8 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

All the photos make it look wildly uneven and a difficult surface to move across. The asteroid bases are all the wrong size, and entirely do not conform to the "official" set-up requirements so they're entirely useless for tournaments (or even tournament training). Besides, 3d asteroids may look neat, but if the ship base would land right in the middle where the support stem is, it'd need to be moved or replaced so that the ship in question would be in the right position.

Those are classic mini flight stands. I used the same ones when I made my asteroids from lava rocks. To use them you put down the card asteroids then put the 3D ones on top. It adds a lot more visual flair to the game, when a ship overlaps the asteroid template we lift off the 3D one then put it back after the ship has cleared it.

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx6

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#9 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Rip-off, sorry but that's the first thing that goes through my mind when I look at that thing.

#10 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

It's just a bunch of plastic tiles. Why would I pay even half of that ($250) just so I could have a game mat? I could almost double my current fleet for that. >: (

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#11 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

It's just a bunch of plastic tiles. Why would I pay even half of that ($250) just so I could have a game mat? I could almost double my current fleet for that. >: (

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is the only explanation I can think of.

• Eruletho likes this

#12 R22

R22

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

How does this work with copyright rules? Making money off the Death Star title? Sure as an add on for FFG's game maybe but doesn't it violate Star Wars' copyright? Not complaining as much as curious how far fan made stuff can go and receive monetary backing.

Rebels: 5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 3 Z-95, 5 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 2 E-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Imps: 5 TIE/Ln, 5 TIE/In, 3 TIE/B, 2 TIE/D,1 TIE/Adv, 1 TIE/P, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31

*1 Imperial Aces, 2 Rebel Aces included within total*

Want: YT-2400, VT-49

#13 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

One fatal flaw with this kind of thing: it allow for pre-measurement.  The tiles make an effective grid on the play surface.  

#14 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

How does this work with copyright rules? Making money off the Death Star title? Sure as an add on for FFG's game maybe but doesn't it violate Star Wars' copyright? Not complaining as much as curious how far fan made stuff can go and receive monetary backing.

What Death Star title? It's generic space station terrain. I haven't thoroughly read the entire page, but I don't think they use the term Death Star at all. That's how.

@ leohowler, they don't appear to be plastic, page says cast resin. Still, way too much for my tastes.
  • oneway likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#15 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

One fatal flaw with this kind of thing: it allow for pre-measurement.  The tiles make an effective grid on the play surface.  

In friendly home games, who cares.. it's just a decent board to play on. I honestly don't worry about someone being able to "measure" their move. It's a decent Station playing surface.. I may throw 25 at it for the asteroids.. that's all I think I could afford on this.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#16 Daniel Anteron

Daniel Anteron

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

While this is cool, the price is way to high. I'll stick with my GF9 space station map that only cost me 40 dollars.

#17 Nematode

Nematode

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

The asteroids look kind of cool, but I'm not sure how to use them with the rules as written.  Since your ships should be allowed to overlap the asteroids, the 3D ones really just get in the way.  I guess you could always play with a cardstock asteroid token under each 3D asteroid model and move the 3D model out of the way when necessary.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS