Turr Phennir

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gz1962

gz1962

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

I play Turr a lot in a three ship build and am on the fence with his EPT choice. I seem to have a better time with PTL than VI.  Veteran Instincts saves two points which always come in handy. However I really like the ability to turtle up with PTL for when Turr gets into trouble.

What has been your experiences with Turr?

#2 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I like PTL, even though I don't get as much use out of it as I'd like since it's usually not ideal to use until after he's fired.

An interesting combo might be to give him a TC mod. Then, after he fires, acquire a target lock on your target for next turn.
  • gz1962 likes this

#3 bgFish

bgFish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

I do both. I run Veteran Instincts on Phennir in a list with Fel and Vader, so everyone moves and shoots at the same time. I run PtL on him when I fly him at the head of three other Saber Squadron Pilots, all also sporting PtL.

Push the Limit is awesome on Phennir for getting out of trouble. I can get within range 1 of an enemy ship, take my focus to shoot, and then do both a barrel roll and a boost after shooting to get out of arc. Turtling is more effective on Fel because he gets three tokens for the price of two.

#4 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

I don't like PtL on Tur. I see him as a poor man's Soontir with PtL. Let his ability get him out of trouble. Determination is a good EPT, because he is dead without his ability.
  • berusplants likes this

#5 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

I don't like PtL on Tur. I see him as a poor man's Soontir with PtL. Let his ability get him out of trouble. Determination is a good EPT, because he is dead without his ability.

Ideally, yes, but he doesn't always shoot first (even with VI) and PTL can be used after he shoots, or before if his ability grants no advantage.

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think he's at least a decent candidate for Opportunist. It's on the expensive side, but it gives him better punch if Fel/Jax/Vader can manage to strip a token first.

#7 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think he's at least a decent candidate for Opportunist. It's on the expensive side, but it gives him better punch if Fel/Jax/Vader can manage to strip a token first.

But if he's stressed he can't use his ability.

Here is my train of thought.  Soonter Fel costs 30 with PtL.  If I can't afford that, Turr at 28 isn't the answer.  Soonter benefits from PtL, where Turr loses his ability.  The Saber w/ PtL (24) or Royal w/ PtL (25) makes more sense for a list on a budget.  No wasted abilities, good PS, and a 5 or 6 point savings.

I've tried Saber with Opportunist.  It worked, but I'm not sure it was better than Royal with PtL.

#8 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Turr only loses that ability if you use it on his normal action, and that should only be used when his ability isn't needed, and it's not always. Use it when you use his ability and you've just added an action, one of the reasons I think targeting computer could be interesting on him, though it does push him to
30. I understand your point about the difference between him and Soontir and it's a valid point, but whether a 25 point RG is better tha Turr with PTL, who could use three actions and it's not all that close, IMO. If you need two points it can be the difference, but Turr with PTL is a monster, too. I think all three are good choices depending on the build.

Edited by AlexW, 05 April 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#9 KommanderKeldoth

KommanderKeldoth

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'm a big fan of VI on Turr.  His ability is the most potent when he shoots before his opponent.  If you fly him well, he doesn't even get shot at

#10 Nyxen

Nyxen

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

personally I like Expert Handling on him. Makes those pesky low PS B-Wings lose their TL on me and doesn't affect my free boost.

#11 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'm a big fan of VI on Turr.  His ability is the most potent when he shoots before his opponent.  If you fly him well, he doesn't even get shot at

VI on Turr only matters when you're up against level 9 pilots when you've won Initiative, level 8 pilots, and level 7 pilots when you've lost Initiative.
Of the 20 pilots that fit this criteria, you almost never see Kagi, Steele, Rhymer, Mithel, Vader, Tycho, Ten, Lando, or Horton. That leaves only Luke, Wedge, Han, Jan, Howlrunner, Kath, Boba, and the Interceptor 4 to worry about. 

Against Han, Kath, or Boba, you're pretty screwed either way, unless you're that much better of a pilot.
Against Howlrunner and Jan, you're in a good spot either way, unless you're that much better of a pilot.

That leaves Luke, Wedge, and your fellow Interceptors to worry about.

Of course, if any of these ^&(&^*^* are using Swarm Tactics, VI is definitely worth its weight.

I'd rather have PTL, which helps me more universally, than the situational bonus from VI.

#12 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm a slave to the TP+VI combo.

Edited by DarkFather, 05 April 2014 - 08:40 PM.

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#13 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm a slave to the TP+VI combo.

I'd much rather have him running next to, say, Roark Garnet. Blended fleets OP

• Stone37 likes this

#14 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

I don't even mind using Expose on him, opportunistically, paired with SD to go from 3/4/3/0 to 4/3/3/0.

I know the mathwingers will say that 3 dice plus Focus is always better than 4 dice, it isn't psychologically. Your opponent will suddenly pay attention to that pesky interceptor that out of nowhere opened up with four or five dice and then slipped out of arc.

#15 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

I know the mathwingers will say that 3 dice plus Focus is always better than 4 dice,

Not exactly. Against 3+ dice with both focus and evade 4 attack dice will inflict marginally more damage than 3 with focus. The difference is probably not worth the cost, but still ...

Counting on the psychological factor means you hope that the opponent falls for that psychological trap. A good opponent won't.

• DraconPyrothayan and Rinehart like this

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#16 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

Eventually they all give in to their anger. :P.

#17 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

I know the mathwingers will say that 3 dice plus Focus is always better than 4 dice,

Not exactly. Against 3+ dice with both focus and evade 4 attack dice will inflict marginally more damage than 3 with focus. The difference is probably not worth the cost, but still ...

Counting on the psychological factor means you hope that the opponent falls for that psychological trap. A good opponent won't.

Yes and no.   I still don't think I like Opportunist, but knowing 1 or 2 ships are about to fire on you after you decide wither or not to spend that evade/focus token has real world consequences too.  This isn't entirely a mind game.  Math will tell you to hit on 16 in Black Jack, doesn't mean you're not going to bust.  There is a real extra dice that will be thrown if you spend that token... and despite math... you might be pushing daisies because of it. 

#18 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Turr+PTL all day...long.

You won't hit as hard as Fel but you'll be around longer, for less points, and probably take less shots on you over all.

Turr+VI is only useful vs. about 6 pilots. The others you can all outmaneuver and VI won't help you arc dodge as much nor can you turtle up when you just can't dodge. I do like VI+sheild for "cheap" but really just go with another interceptor pilot at that point.

Turr is my current favorite pilot. Fel was but Turr is just more fun and 2pts cheaper.

#19 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Turr + VI. You are no longer constrained to green maneuvers only, hence allowing him a lot more flexibility and maneuver options. Heck, you can do K-turns! PTL is very bad on him IMO, if you are flying him on PTL I'd rather you take any other TIEint with an EPT slot instead. Ultimately you still have access to the roll + boost combo, so no difference actually. Even Cowall PTL is on par with Turr PTL, for 1 point less

I've also tried out other upgrades like Adrenaline Rush (not too bad), Squad Leader (very bad), Elusiveness (pretty good actually), Sexpose (quite fun, but without a second dice modifier, can be very impractical). 

Edited by Duraham, 07 April 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#20 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

It's Turr + PTL - You don't need to use PTL every turn, just use it if you need to. PTL on Turr gives you a larger range of possibilities then on any other pilot. Just ever use him as a flanker - never attack frontally - use astroids - and Turr will serve you well.

Turr also just work fine without any upgrades, unlike Fel. At the end it depends on how many points you have left to spend.

If you got 25 points left: Take Turr

If you got 26 points left: Take Turr + VI

If you got 27 points left: Take Turr + Elusi

If you got 28 points left: Take Turr + PTL

If you got 29 points left: Take Turr + VI + Stealth

If you got 30 points left: Take Turr + PTL + Targeting System OR Fel + PTL

If you got 31 points left: Take Turr + PTL + Stealth

If you got 32 points left: Take Fel + PTL + Targeting System

If you got 33 points left: Take Fel + PTL + Stealth

Edited by TheRealStarkiller, 07 April 2014 - 01:05 AM.

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS