Thinking about TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Admiral JCJF

Admiral JCJF

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

I've been playing with TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors recently, with the emphasis on the former!

Things have been going fairly well:

Came in 6th at one local store championship running a triplet of TIE Bombers with one Interceptor:

Captain Jonus - TIE Bomber

Scimitar Squadron Pilot - TIE Bomber
+ Assault Missiles
+ Cluster Missiles

+ Assault Missiles
+ Cluster Missiles

Turr Phennir - TIE Interceptor
+ Push the Limit

= 100 pts

First game was a TIE swarm, with Howl and 5 Academy TIEs clustered and Backstabber doing a wide sweep. He couldn't roll evades to save himself, both Assault missiles went off in the swarm and from there it was just cleanup.

Second game was against a mix of TIEs and Interceptors. We played to time, both getting in a few hits but no kills but in the last round the numbers turned against me (one of his attacks stuck, none of mine did) and I had a modified loss.

Last game was against the Lando Falcon backed up by Kyle Katarn and a Prototype Pilot, the A-Wing managed to win a straight duel against my Interceptor, Kyle survived four rounds with a TIE Bomber on his tail and the Falcon was on one hull when it finally toasted my last Bomber.

Then I was running a variant on my list from the store championship last Sunday when I nabbed first place at the regular Vagabonds Tuesday night league:

Turr Phennir - TIE Interceptor
+ Stealth Device

Captain Jonus - TIE Bomber

+ Assault Missiles
+ Cluster Missiles

+ Assault Missiles
+ Cluster Missiles

= 100pts

First game was against the same Howlrunner Swarm from the store championship. I didn't get my perfect open (two Assault Missiles into the swarm) due to miss-reading the approach, and repeated passes didn't yield much better. It wasn't looking good for a couple of turns but we fought to a draw.

Second game was against a different mix of TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors (including some Imperial Aces stuff). We came diagonally across the table at one another and I swung Turr across the front of his incoming squadron, which made him turn some to chase and caused a nasty snarl of crashes. We both tagged an Interceptor in the last turn and I ended with a modified win.

Last game was against a Rebel player running Han, Luke in his X-Wing and a Gold Squadron Y-Wing with Ion Turret. Rach flew well out of an asteroid cluster in the far corner where she started but the missiles told on the Y and the Falcon and I wiped the table with the loss of only one Bomber.

All in all things have been going well, but I am REALLY wanting to get Squadron Leader on Captain Jonus so I can action stack on the Scimitar Squadron pilots for their ordinance.

But, at the same time, is it worth dropping Turr down to a skill 4 elite Interceptor in return for that bonus?

I'm seriously considering using Lieutenant Lorrir from Imperial Aces though.

He saves me the 2 points I need for Squad Leader on Jonus and that curved Barrel Roll looks to be GOLD.

#2 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

If you do get tne Imperial Aces, don't forget to squint at the Royal guard pilot, who you'll find to be every bit as skilled as Turr and three points cheaper.

#3 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Gah, what is going on with that background on the text?!
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#4 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Words so many words
Help me pick a snappy title, go here ~> http://community.fan...on-and-popn618/
Leave a comment and vote with a like.

#5 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

I love Turr but let me give this thought to you. Why not a Royal Guard, your current config is 29 for Turr, so let's play,

Royal Guard (22) with Hull (3)
Bumb your your Schim to Gamma (4) increase Ps to 4

Edited by Cubanboy, 05 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

Help me pick a snappy title, go here ~> http://community.fan...on-and-popn618/
Leave a comment and vote with a like.

#6 Admiral JCJF

Admiral JCJF

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I'm more seriously considering Lieutenant Lorrir, with just a Stealth Device (I know many people hate relying on dice, but it's better on average than the hull) and having two points over for Squad Leader on Jonus.

#7 Deltmi

Deltmi

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Drop 1 cluster missile in exchange for Squad Leader on Jonus and seismic bomb

Rebel Alliance: 5 [X-Wing], 2 [Y-Wing], 2 [A-Wing], 3 [B-Wing], 2 [HWK-290], 1 [YT-1300], 1 [GR75 Transport], 1 [CR90 Corvette], 4 [Z-95], 2 [E-Wing]

Empire: 8 [Tie Fighter], 3 [Tie Advanced], 3 [Tie Interceptor], 3 [Tie Bomber], 1 [Firespray-31], 1 [Lambda Shuttle], 1 [Imperial Aces], 2 [Tie Phantom], 2 [Tie Defender]

#8 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'm more seriously considering Lieutenant Lorrir, with just a Stealth Device (I know many people hate relying on dice, but it's better on average than the hull) and having two points over for Squad Leader on Jonus.

Wow... Everything you said is backwards.

Hull is better on average than Stealth, but people like relying on the dice to get them the possibility of multiple hits avoided.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS