Heroes That Just Work for You

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

I enjoy playing the Halflings. It's really challenging, thematic, and now that Black Riders is out, you can actually WIN every once in a while. No more super sad secrecy gamble, Merry has arrived.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

#42 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

I don't know who would care for score and why, I personally care about threat becaue it provides you so much needed breather, delays your natural defeat and makes threat boosting effects less devastating.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#43 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

How are you going to handle so much threat of Lore Glorfindel and Elrond combined with any other hero in existance?

Run Elrond's Counsel, Core Gandalf, Dwarven Tomb (to recur Elrond's Counsel if you really need to). Also, Lore Glorfindel is great because you have the Lore resources to play Asfoloth on him. So, he ends up being able to quest for 3, attack for 3, put two progress tokens on a location per round, and also can heal any other character. Beast. Run him with some Spirit and you can also get Light of Valinor on him. Super good. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#44 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Lore Glorfindel, Spirit Frodo, Tactics Legolas, and I am sure you can win a majority of the quests. Light of Valinor, Arwen, Counsel, Weapons, Asfaloth, etc.

#45 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Lore Glorfindel is definitely underrated. For awhile, I was plowing through all the quests with mono-Leadership on one hand and mono-Lore, including Lore Glorfindel, on the other. I was able to beat most of the quests in the game, and had a memorable experience with Into Ithilien where I ended up a single progress token shy of victory. Anyway, Spirit Glorfindel is clearly the superior version, but that doesn't detract from the fact that Lore Glorfindel has his uses: not using Spirit sphere, playing mono-Lore, want something different, sick of Spirfindel's face, etc.

Edited by Raven1015, 15 April 2014 - 12:25 PM.

• Noccus likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#46 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Yea I know that feeling. I'm REALLY spirfindeled-out.
He was such a auto include I did not look anywhere else for a while.
Haven't been using him for some time now, and I don't see him returning in the near future.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#47 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

What I'm really hoping for is another Spirit hero with high attack. I don't think we should get a ton, as it's important to keep those sphere distinctions, but I'd like another 3 attack Spirit hero for my mono-Spirit decks that is NOT Glorfindel.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#48 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

You might get your wish with a spirit Boromir or Aragorn version at some point.
But I don't see that happening any time soon.
My buddy mainly plays mono spirit now and faces the same problem: no attack power whatsoever.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#49 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

What I'm really hoping for is another Spirit hero with high attack. I don't think we should get a ton, as it's important to keep those sphere distinctions, but I'd like another 3 attack Spirit hero for my mono-Spirit decks that is NOT Glorfindel.

Well... Dunhere is 3 attack if you work his ability :P

That is probably not what you meant but I think he puts emphasis on the type of spirit hero able to pull off a high(ish) damage attack in a way that still keeps the distinction of spheres.

#50 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

While we are talking about spirit Glorfindel, I want to bring up something that seems odd to me. Why is it that his stats equal 12, but his threat is an insane 5, less than Hobbits. I know it's only 7 turns of questing, but it still seems too low to me. Is anyone else in agreeance? Speaking of Hobbits, Bilbos threat of 9 seems crazy as well, paying three threat for his ability.

#51 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:15 AM

Speaking of Hobbits, Bilbos threat of 9 seems crazy as well, paying three threat for his ability.

These days I only seem to use Bilbo when I play solo. He has a kind of ability that gets less good the more players there are since at 1-player he ups your round draw by 100% but in 4-player he only ups it by 25%.

For solo-play I think his threat cost is quite reasonable. Though more players I´ll at least agree it is up for debate.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#52 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

Yeah I guess you're right. I didn't think about the fact that its double draw for single player. Just seems like odd logic to arrive at the 9. No one else, even Elrond who has two powerful abilities, pays more than 1 for theirs.

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 16 April 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#53 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

These problems come from the time of the youth of the game. Like in everything, when you are new to it, you make more mistakes, and some learn from them. I believe the trend is good for the game: we see less and less mistakes, though I would still like to see the old mistakes corrected wherever possible.

• Raven1015 likes this

#54 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

Just beated A Shadow of the Past with Bilbo, Loppin and Sam. Bilbo was an MPV, defending against 3 Nazguls each turn without taking a scarch.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS