Heroes That Just Work for You

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 FeloniusBard

FeloniusBard

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

This is different than just "Heroes That are Mechanically the Best" or "Most Superior." 

I'm wondering which heroes you simply like playing the best, regardless of their overall effectiveness and utility. This could be because you like their artwork, you like the characters from the source material, or just because they produce a type of playstyle that's appealing to you. 

For me, simply put, it's Elladan and Elrohir. 

Mechanically, they're good, though hardly "optimal" for building the most powerful decks in the game. But there's just something about being able to "break" the action economy right out of the gate, both for attack and defense that appeals to me.

As a game player, I've always favored "well-rounded" approaches to games. In RPGs, for example, I'm the type of player that has to dabble in everything; I never want to specialize, or feel like I'm "trapped" in a niche. The thing about Elladan and Elrohir, is that you can fit them into different playstyles very easily simply by swapping the third hero, and adjusting the allies / attachments in your deck to fit a need or theme. 

The weakness, obviously, is that you're pretty much forced to run them as a tri-sphere, which can be hard, and limits some deck building options. 

But I've just found I really enjoy playing with them---Rivendell Blade for Elladan, Dunedain Warning for Elrohir, along with the Dunedain and Rivendell allies. My most common tag-along is Lore Aragorn, for versatility. 

They're usable with all of the Noldor-trait cards too, and other than in the dedicated Gondor quests, are almost always thematically appropriate. In the fiction of Tolkien, seeing the twins in Erebor, or Moria, or Mirkwood, or Lothlorien, wouldn't be a strange sight. 

• Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I used the Ninja twins throughout Moria, and am just waiting for Arwen to build another deck with them.  But to answer your question:

Glorfindel for obvious reasons.  Loragorn & Boromir make a potent combo.  Elrond & Mirlond (his enabler) are also potent.  I really want to get to the point where I can play elves two fisted.  Hopefully by the end of this cycle.

• danpoage likes this
"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#3 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I reallly enjoy when i play twins. And when the 3rd hero is legolas i have in my hands a combat machine. I suffer, however, in quest, when i feel we need willpowe and thinking about to 'lose' one round one of the twins only for increase our willpower by 2.

But i think the most powerfull of twins is when they are in diferents players.

Edited by Mndela, 04 April 2014 - 04:23 PM.

• chuckles and PsychoRocka like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#4 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

I also use the twins with legolas, I play two handed though so use loragorn, spiritfindel and elrond In the other deck as the questing deck, works heaps well! Elrohir, Elladan and legolas to a lesser extent are definitely my favourite hero's. nothing is better than having gondorian shield, Dunedain warning and steward of gondor on elrohir while arwen gives him another +1 defense and sentinel allowing him to block almost every attack every turn, when I manage to get song of wisdom and burning brand on him too.... Just awesome! Then elladan legolas and glorfindel with their daggers of westerness and rivendell blades clean house =)

#5 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

I reallly enjoy when i play twins. And when the 3rd hero is legolas i have in my hands a combat machine. I suffer, however, in quest, when i feel we need willpowe and thinking about to 'lose' one round one of the twins only for increase our willpower by 2.
But i think the most powerfull of twins is when they are in diferents players.

Yeah I often have this issue too, early game if need be I quest with elladan and hope legolas and glorfindel can handle **** on their own (I put rivendell bow on glorfindel when I can) and then attempt to get enough questing power built up with the other deck so I can start using elladan for combat!

#6 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

We've been rocking Sam in a number of decks.  He just fits so well in any deck, even if there is no leadership you can use him to splash in power cards like Steward of Gondor.  Another leadership hero that works for us in many decks is Balin -- fantastic hero, we use him and bring no shadow cancellation, freeing up card slots.  And he enables King Under the Mountain in your deck as well!

Edited by GrandSpleen, 04 April 2014 - 09:36 PM.

• Raven1015, danpoage and chuckles like this

#7 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

I really enjoy using Beregond. I love putting stuff like Gondorian Shield and Spear of the Citadel on him for free. Also Bard, even though sometimes he 's not as useful as other heroes.

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#8 McDog3

McDog3

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

I've only been playing for a few months and I only have the card pool up to the 2nd Dwarrowdelf AP currently (the rest of that cycle is on its way  :) ).  That said, so far one of my favorites has been Tactics Boromir, for similar reasons that OP has said about Elladan and Elrohir.  I really like Boromir's versatility when it comes to being able to quest, attack, and/or defend provided you can take the threat.  I too tend to create more "well-rounded" RPG characters in games, so Boromir appeals to my personality in this sense.  I generally run him with some spirit to get easy threat reduction access.  Back when I was using mainly eagles for my Tactics build, there was no greater sense of satisfaction than the times I could pull off getting support of the eagles on Boromir with a buffed up Eagles of the Misty Mountains.  Do I need a super defender this round?  Boromir.  Do I instead need a super attacker this round?  Boromir.

#9 Anders1

Anders1

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Beregond is my favorite hero. Also a huge fan of Éomer.

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

Eowyn, period.

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Beregond, as he stands for all which makes Gondor so cool.

Frodo, because of his ability and low threat. I like it when i don't have to fear to be whiped out with the next big enemy revealed from the encounter deck.

Theodred. He is not as useful as he once was because of all the new resource generating player cards. Still, he feels like an old friend that I spent a long time with, and his ability allows you a greater flexibility when choosing your strategy. His picture always seems to shout at me "Sorry, I really wished I had that one point WP more, dude, but  look at how ferocious I'm leading that quest Theodred-style!"

• Nerdmeister, spalanzani, Bluebird79 and 5 others like this

#12 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:03 AM

Bifur is the most played for me. He is very very good when you play bisphere or trishpere. Bifur alone in lore is enough to play all lore cards you want.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#13 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Prince Imrahil is just amazing for me. I also like Dunhere.
  • Bluebird79 likes this

#14 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

I would say Glorfindel, and then would be Beregond, Elrond, legolas and Loragorn

Glorfindel is an obvious case.

Beregond as said is what Gonor stands for. I use to add him the shield and either the spear or the plate. I feel safe with this guy around

Elrond with Vilya is a combination i really lake, buildind my game turn to turn in order to becaome as powerfull i would like. But the new VoI mechanism like fast games so maybe it is time for Elrond to travel back to Valinor

Legolas is tactics which I like, and also helps on quests with his ability. With a rivendel blade he is deadly

Loragorn, i think most is for his ability, he stats are good also but if i was not for his ability -and his card illustration which I love- maybe he would not be part of my decks that often

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

As leptokurt says, Theodred feels so much like an old friend that I always enjoy bringing him back to the table. So many of the early games I played were with Theodred and Dunhere as an adventuring duo, who would bring along a random friend to bulk out the fellowship to three. 

I've recently been really enjoying dwarves once more, and there are three that particularly stick out for me here - Ori, Nori and Oin. I find it especially difficult to choose between the last two, as I really like both of them, but while Nori looks so much fun (he's hoisting a tankard, after all!!!), Oin is usually the most useful for me as I so rarely use tactics to any great extent that I'd need an actual hero. 

As far as art goes - Faramir and Theoden. They're just awesome!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#16 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'm a big fan of the epic heroes that have or suit having lots of attachments. (Also useful low threat heroes). So it seemed like Christmas when the Dwarrowdelf AP's were released. Elrond, Glorfindel & Legolas who become that much more awesome with blades and the Hands upon the bow event. Being able to run all three together solo made for much happiness, for me. (though also a little like easy mode for some of the quests :/)

Similarly when they released the hobbits: Sam, Merry & Pippin using Trackers awesome attachment heavy happy hobbit deck, where Sam regularly had more than a dozen attachments was brilliantly fun for me!

On a side note I really like it when new attachments, allies, events or other heroes revitalise existing heroes like:

Dunhere (dagger/spear), Eowyn (Lay), Boromir (Shield). 

Edited by chuckles, 06 April 2014 - 03:31 AM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#17 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

I've always loved Legolas and Beregond, They were in the first decks I built and they are just beast. Legolas with a Blade of Gondolin can clear most locations, which can be HUGE, especially for enabling Northen Tracker/Asfaloth to take care of them in the staging area. There are only 2 other heroes that really contend with Beregond as a defender: Beorn and Boromir, and both of them are really only contenders because of the built-in action advantage. Neither of them have enough starting defense (and Beorn's can't be pushed up at all), so I stick with Beregond. It's also too easy (and cheap) to boost his defense even higher with Gondorian Shield and Citadel Plate for a total of 2 resources.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#18 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

It's also too easy (and cheap) to boost his defense even higher with Gondorian Shield and Citadel Plate for a total of 2 resources.

Crazy good combo, although I prefer gondorian shield and spear of the citadel for zero resources.

Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

#19 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Beregond is definitely a big one for me, theres just a certain peace of mind that comes with having an impenetrable wall for all your blocking needs.

Elrond is another, the extra point of healing can make a difference especially in scenarios with a lot of archery, plus i find Vilya fun to tinker around with

Theodred also is a non-obvious one that comes to mind.  He's a low threat leadership hero which are really few and far between (just him and Sam are under 10 i think ((Hirluin doesnt count)).  Also, that extra resource is always extremely helpful in smoothing out costs, although his WP leaves something to be desired

• chuckles likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#20 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Theodred also is a non-obvious one that comes to mind.  He's a low threat leadership hero which are really few and far between (just him and Sam are under 10 i think ((Hirluin doesnt count)).

Gloin and Balin have 9 threat.

Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS