• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Traxo

Traxo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Hi out there!

I got a friend who recently got into the game, and he has bought a lot of empire - but so far he hasnt won a single game..

Do you guys have a good starting/beginner empire list? It should be relativly easy to fly, but still fun

He has the following:

4 TIEs

2 Interceptors

2 Advanced

2 Bombers

1 Shuttle

1 Firespray

Thanks!

-Jon

#2 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Try a simple list like this, it doesn't have a lot of flair but should get him a taste of everything and is pretty balanced.

BH+Recon (or Rebel captive)

Turr+PtL (or VI)

3x Academy Pilots

If you take VI over PtL due to not having the upgrade card, you have 2 extra points to play with, he could turn two of the APs to obsidian or a single to black, or put a seismic charge onto the BH. I have had a few people try this list and they enjoy flying it because it gives them a chance to try formation flying with the APs, tanking with the BH, and flanking with an interceptor. 

• Stone37 likes this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#3 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

My recommendation would be to stay away from interceptors the first couple of games.

Rather fragile and unforgiving ships to fly is no good combo with being new.

Try the shuttle+Vader, a Firespray, Backstabber and 2x Academy pilots.

This leaves 3 points for the odd upgrade. (rebel captive on firespray?)

My 2 cts. Fly casual. :)

• Revanchist, OpticFusion and Nataris like this

The scissor is nicely balanced but the paper is OP said the stone.

#4 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

Does he have two normal livery interceptors or does he have Aces?

#5 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

http://xwing-builder...6/obsidian-kath

One of my favorite Empire lists, and your friend already has the components!

• Hoosteen likes this

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#6 OpticFusion

OpticFusion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

My recommendation would be to stay away from interceptors the first couple of games.

I just starter out and got myself 2 x Interceptors and aces. I wanted to fly a squad of 4. The Tie Interceptor is my favorite fighter in the Star Wars universe. Should I first get more experience before I try them?

I will try your list it looks like fun.
  • Stone37 likes this

#7 Traxo

Traxo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far! You guys are awesome - keep them coming!

He only has two normal interceptors - but i know he will buy Aces soon..
  • Rhinoviru3 likes this

#8 KillMaimBurn

KillMaimBurn

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

The only advice I would give that a lot of new players tend to suffer from is overloading on cool looking upgrades and forgetting to use them, not using ten points of upgrades in a one hundred point game is suicide. other than that the game is almost perfectly balanced so anything chosen should have a chance.
Keep it basic, keep it cheap, learn the game and go from there.
Imperials: 7 ties, 2 advanced, 6 interceptors, 1 firespray, 2 shuttle,
2 bombers, 3 Defender, 3 Phantom
Rebel Scum: 3 x wing, 1 y wing, 1 a wing, 1 hwk, 1 b wing, 1 Falcon,
1 Transport, 1 e wing, 1 z95

#9 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

I just starter out and got myself 2 x Interceptors and aces. I wanted to fly a squad of 4. The Tie Interceptor is my favorite fighter in the Star Wars universe. Should I first get more experience before I try them?

Do not think I somehow are trying to suggest that interceptors are not worth it or something.

But I think for most new pilots it is wise to play a handful of games and get a grip of the mechanics before trying rather unforgiving (and oh-so shecksy!) interceptors!

Once you have a basic notion of what (enemy) ships can and cannot do; sure; enjoy your interceptors.

Fly casual!

• Nataris likes this

#10 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

What list does he usually play and how does he play it? Is there anything obvious pointing towards his losing?

#11 OpticFusion

OpticFusion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

Do not think I somehow are trying to suggest that interceptors are not worth it or something.

But I think for most new pilots it is wise to play a handful of games and get a grip of the mechanics before trying rather unforgiving (and oh-so shecksy!) interceptors!

Once you have a basic notion of what (enemy) ships can and cannot do; sure; enjoy your interceptors.

Fly casual!

I read it as you intended. I'm just going to leave them nice and cosy in their storage till I have played a few more games and feel more comfortable playing.
  • Elkerlyc likes this

#12 Traxo

Traxo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

What list does he usually play and how does he play it? Is there anything obvious pointing towards his losing?

Well, he only played one 100 game yet, and that was with a souped up Bounty Hunter, a souped up Bomber, and two Black Squadron TIEs with Markmanship...... So i think most of his losing is due to overspending on upgrades and such - and dont quite have the hang of maneuvring yet.. 

#13 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

You can't go far wrong with sticking mostly to TIE fighters for the first few games.

Leave interceptors, bombers (and ordnance), Large ships (and trying to fly them round asteroids) and so on out for the first few games.

If you want to avoid just a cookie-cutter academy pilot swarm, I'd suggest using Vader and Black Squadron. You get a reasonable number of ships (but not too many), get to learn about pilot special abilities - but none are too complex, mostly extra attack dice - and you get to use Darth ******* Vader.

Darth Vader w/Engine Upgrade and Squad Leader 

yes, it's an advanced. But it's also the best pilot in the game in a forgivingly tough ship, and teaches a player about "action economy" with squad leader in a nice, simple way.

Mauler Mithel

Backstabber

Dark Curse

Vader's canonical wingmen flight. Satisfy any potential nerd rage by not putting Howlrunner into the list. Besides which, Backstabber and Mithel make a nice paring; both get an extra attack die but in different circumstances. Makes for a nice educational exercise in piloting.

Black Squadron Pilot w/Veteran Instincts

For no better reason than it's a point and it makes everyone PS6 - which makes you better than anyone else's 'generic pilots' but worse than anyone someone with limited SW knowledge has ever heard of. Which again, feels right.

• Parakitor likes this

#14 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

One thing that took me a while to get the hang of is that Imperial ships, especially TIE interceptors, move a lot faster than Rebel ships (except for A-wings, of course). So you're not able to get in range and stay there to trade shots for more than a couple of rounds, but often only a single round.

So when I first started playing I aggressively used the 3-Koiogran to get a shot at a closer range, but I found that I never had a Focus on the attack (or defense for that matter). Stick to the longer K-turns to allow more room for your fighters to clear stress on the following round. If you're out of range it's OK because you're not a sitting duck. And remember you have that green 3 straight to get you back in the fight with a Focus token.

Incidentally, the 5 k-turn is one of my favorite things about TIE interceptors (no, I don't usually play them with Push the Limit).

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#15 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

Well, he only played one 100 game yet, and that was with a souped up Bounty Hunter, a souped up Bomber, and two Black Squadron TIEs with Markmanship...... So i think most of his losing is due to overspending on upgrades and such - and dont quite have the hang of maneuvring yet..

Well, for the maneuvring, look a few tooics down for the thread with Boot Camp in the title. There are some solo exercises that may help him. For the squad building, let hin figure out what it is how he wants his squad to beat yours. Does he want to win through brute force, shenanigans or does he want a swiss army knife of a squad, this'll teach him to focus during the squad building.

#16 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

My suggestion for new players, especially struggling ones is keep it simple and worry more about manuever and learning a ship than winning. Usually I start them with rebels and play elite, unarmed TiEs and and advanced so they can see what a TIE is capable of and then we switch.

If you're friend is playing Imperials, I recommend going with something like that so he can get used to one or two ship types and not crash into each other as easily. I like the idea of Kath with black TIEs, or Vader with the same.

I also recommend practicing flying ships with asteroids, especially if playing Imperials.

Edited by AlexW, 04 April 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#17 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Aristotle says we learn by doing.  You want to fly Interceptors, then fly Interceptors!

The Aces make the Interceptor much more durable.  Stick with high PS fighters to start.  That way, you can react to your opponent's moves. (later you will gain the confidence to predict)  Here is an Ace list I'm playing with right now:

Soontir Fel+PtL+TC

Jax+PtL+Hull+Shield

Royal+PtL+Hull+Shield

I'm also getting a lot of success from:

Soontir Fel+PtL+TC

Jax+PtL+Hull+Stealth

Bounty Hunter

#18 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

Oh, and tell your friend to aim where the target will be come shootin' time.

#19 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

I am clearly no Aristotle ;)  but I'd suggest to play 3-5 games with a slightly more robust list.

Then you'll learn game mechanics and (enemy) movement dials. After the mentioned handful of games you can predict somewhat what the opponent will do. (can do)

Then it is time (IMO) to whip out those lovely Interceptors and start to learn them

Your mileage may vary however.

Peace. Fly casual.

Edited by Elkerlyc, 04 April 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#20 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

1- OGP (21) engi (4) advance sen (3)
2- Ob Ties (26)
1- Black Sq Tie (14)
1- Turr (25) Shield (4) Push the limit (3)

List 2
1- Col Jendon (26) Hull Upgrade(3)
2- black Sq (28) with vet ins (2)
2- Saber Squad (41)

List 3
1- Bounty (33)
3- Ob Ties (39)
1- captain Yorr (24)
I have ships.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS