The Ringmaker Cycle - What We Know

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

No. That was deliberate. There is a Nissan commercial in the US that keeps saying "Follow Me!"

Glad someone noticed.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#42 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I remember the topic Gizlivadi mentions. I wrote back then that i believe we might get a Galadriel hero in Celebrimbors secret, since she was around back then and might have a clue on the ring making (Celebrimbor made the three Elven rings), but it is a guess. After all the names of the two last pack indicate that the heroes will be leading to Ost In Edhil ... Otherwise known as the capital of Eregion, ruled by Galadriel before Celebrimbor :)

Epic call, well done

It was a bit obvious imo ... I mean, if there was ever a box named "..... Havens" , i would expect Cirdan :P

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#43 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Just trying to get a handle on how much support silvan is getting, and it seems to be alot.

TDT: Celeborn, Naith Guide, Tree People

TTT: at least 1 ally, event, and attachment promised.

T iT: Silvan Hero, and 6 player cards!

TNIN: Island Amid Perils

CS: Galadriel, although not silvan trait is still an obvious support card. Orophin.

So, that's 3 heroes including Galadriel and 13 player cards that support Silvan trait.

Of the 13 player cards 7 have been spoiled. besides the ones mentioned above Rumil, Pursuing the Enemy, and Galadhrim Minstrel will show up in TTT or T iT.

That means we have seen almost a little more than half of what silvan has in store, and we still have one more AP to go.
This is truley impressive. I'm not sure we have seen a trait so thoroughly developed during a cycle than this. Dwarves mostly got their boost from hobbit Saga and Khazad-dum, while it only took outlands 1 AP.

But if you took all 13 Silvan cards that we're sure to get in this cycle that's enough for a 49 card deck. With the possibility of more cards in the cycle and the existing cards already in the pool this should give us plenty of deck building chocies to make.

My hope is that the trait does not have an obvious formula for success, and that with a decent amount of cards that support the trait their will be a number of strategies players can take. Although it seems like the main one wil be allies leaving and entering play through player card effects.

Overall it looks like there is alot more in store for Silvan than what we have seen so far. I can't wait to get these AP's in hand. T iT should epic, 6 player cards! Outlands, in Stewards fear, got Hurluin and 4 player cards, and we all know what that looked like, of course they had the ally buff thing going on. But 6 cards for 1 trait in one AP plus hero Hero, should change the silvain trait overnight.

Edited by Tracker1, 20 May 2014 - 02:06 PM.

• scwont, danpoage, PsychoRocka and 1 other like this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#44 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Funny how FFG censored the acronym of their own Trouble in Tharbad.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#45 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Funny how FFG censored the acronym of their own Trouble in Tharbad.

Had to go back and fix that withT iT.

#46 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Just trying to get a handle on how much support silvan is getting, and it seems to be alot.
CS: Galadriel, although not silvan trait is still an obvious support card. Orophin.
So, that's 3 heroes including Galadriel and 13 player cards that support Silvan trait.
Of the 13 player cards 7 have been spoiled. besides the ones mentioned above Rumil, Pursuing the Enemy, and Galadhrim Minstrel will show up in TTT or T iT.
That means we have seen almost a little more than half of what silvan has in store, and we still have one more AP to go.
This is truley impressive. I'm not sure we have seen a trait so thoroughly developed during a cycle than this. Dwarves mostly got their boost from hobbit Saga and Khazad-dum, while it only took outlands 1 AP.
But if you took all 13 Silvan cards that we're sure to get in this cycle that's enough for a 49 card deck. With the possibility of more cards in the cycle and the existing cards already in the pool this should give us plenty of deck building chocies to make.
My hope is that the trait does not have an obvious formula for success, and that with a decent amount of cards that support the trait their will be a number of strategies players can take. Although it seems like the main one wil be allies leaving and entering play through player card effects.
Overall it looks like there is alot more in store for Silvan than what we have seen so far. I can't wait to get these AP's in hand. T iT should epic, 6 player cards! Outlands, in Stewards fear, got Hurluin and 4 player cards, and we all know what that looked like, of course they had the ally buff thing going on. But 6 cards for 1 trait in one AP plus hero Hero, should change the silvain trait overnight.

You keep mentioning heroes as separate from player cards. Don't heroes count as player cards?

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#47 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

You keep mentioning heroes as separate from player cards. Don't heroes count as player cards?
Yeah. I was not sure on that.

Most of the ffg articles say say something like this "Trouble in Tharbad introduces a new Silvan hero, along with three copies of each new player card."

Makes it aound like the hero is not included in the player card count, but I'mreally not sure. Either way it still a lot of silvan love.

Edited by Tracker1, 20 May 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#48 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yea... it can be confusing. I always assume the hero is counted in the player card count. It ensures I won't be disappointed. ;)

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#49 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

Yea... it can be confusing. I always assume the hero is counted in the player card count. It ensures I won't be disappointed. ;)

A few more quotes a bout wether or not hero cards are countered in the player card count.

"The Nîn-in-Eilph introduces a new Ranger hero as well as twenty-seven new player cards (three copies each of nine different cards) that focus on knowledgeable guidance and wise leadership."

"Thus, even as six of the new player cards from Trouble in Tharbad lend further to support the cycle’s Silvan mechanics, another lends strength to the Eagles that last received attention in the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle."

To me it sounds like the hero is not included in the count.
Most AP give us 9 new player cards. For Trouble in Tharbad sounds like 6 silvan, 1 eagle, and 2 unknown.

Anyway, it's going to be a long wait to find out.

#50 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

Why wasn't the antlered crown spoiled before Trouble in Tharbad, The Nin-in-Eilph and Celebrimbors Secret?
As it was supposedly the Dunlending relic you look for in The Three Trials shouldn't it be set after this quest?
Seems strange for it to be at the end after Celebrimbor's Secret..... perhaps it is on the journey back to Saruman and Isengard that this last quest takes place..?

#51 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

This is odd. I thought Celebrimbor's Secret would be the last pack... It seems like the place where Saruman's plans for us would find their conclusion.
I think there's been some moving around of the packs since they were leaked. We'll have to see what the last one is called!

#52 Estel Edain

Estel Edain

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

Warning: speculation ahead!

There are eight heroes in each deluxe expansion and subsequent cycle. For Heirs of Numenor and Against the Shadow, there were two from each sphere (Boromir, Hirluin; Beregond, Theoden; Pippin, Caldara; Mirlonde and Faramir). This wasn't true for Khazad-dûm and Dwarrowdelf, but it was true for Shadows of Mirkwood and Khazad-dûm, which were the first eight heroes after the Core set (Prince Imrahil, Dáin Ironfoot; Brand son of Bain, Boromir; Frodo Baggins, Dwalin; Bilbo Baggins and Bifur). It seems fairly likely that we will have two heroes from each sphere in The Voice of Isengard and the Ring-maker cycle. We've now seen previews for each adventure pack, and we know some information about each hero.

Here are some guesses as to the heroes we'll see, together with some reasons for those guesses. What we know is in bold.

The Voice of Isengard:

Eomer. Tactics. Rohan. Noble. Warrior.

Grima. Lore. Rohan. Isengard.

The Dunland Trap: Celeborn. Leadership. Silvan. Noble.

The Three Trials: Idraen. Spirit. Dúnedain. Ranger.

Trouble in Tharbad: Haldir of Lórien. Lore. Silvan. Scout.

The Nîn-in-Eilph: Halbarad. Leadership. Dúnedain. Ranger.

Celebrimbor's Secret: Galadriel. Spirit. Noldor. Noble.

The Antlered Crown: Gamling. Tactics. Rohan.

I'm fairly confident about Idraen. The artist's page describes her as "a hardened female ranger of the Dunedain." It's possible that she's an ally instead of a hero, though we already know that there are three other allies in this pack (Greyflood Wanderer, one Noldor ally and one Silvan ally), together with multiple cards supporting the Silvan trait and Secrecy.

Since many Silvan cards are Lore, I expect that we'll get a Lore Silvan hero that (unlike Mirlonde) synergizes with Celeborn and Galadriel. We also know, from a Master of Lore interview with the artist of Silver Lamp, that a new card for Haldir is coming. This new card is probably a hero, he's likely Lore, and he's thematically a perfect match for Celeborn and Galadriel. I'm guessing on the scout trait, but it matches Rumil's trait and we know that we'll be getting a unique Title attachment for scouts (almost certainly Spirit, which would fit in a Celeborn/Galadriel/Haldir deck).

The last two heroes are more speculative. The designers have been developing Rohan in Spirit and Tactics. I think it unlikely that we'll get three Spirit heroes in the Ring-maker cycle, and especially not two in immediate succession. I'm guessing that the Rohan hero is Gamling from the quote at the beginning of the preview for The Antlered Crown. He's old, and he commanded the defense of Helm's Deep before Théoden arrived. (There are other possibilities, such as Erkenbrand or maybe even a Tactics version of Eowyn.) The Rohan hero could be Leadership, but is more likely Tactics.

The Ranger hero has a good chance of being Leadership, since the Nîn-in-Eilph preview says: "The Nîn-in-Eilph introduces a new Ranger hero as well as twenty-seven new player cards (three copies each of nine different cards) that focus on knowledgeable guidance and wise leadership." If all of my sphere guesses are correct, that would mean two heroes from every sphere. Halbarad is definitely a guess, though there aren't many unused Tolkien characters that would fit the Ranger trait. Dúnedain, Gondor and perhaps Silvan seem the most likely associated traits. Given where the adventure pack is set and the focus on Gondor last cycle, a Dúnedain hero seems more likely than than a Gondor hero. If I'm right that the Ranger hero is Leadership, it seems unlikely that we would get two Leadership Silvan heroes in the same cycle. I doubt we'll see our third version of Aragorn or Faramir here, or another copy of Elladan, Elrohir, Damrod or Anborn. Mablung is a possibility, or perhaps an FFG creation. Assuming Idraen is a hero, I doubt that we would get another Dúnedain FFG creation in the same cycle. It also makes sense to have a Leadership Dúnedain hero aside from Aragorn, since most Dúnedain cards are Leadership.

Speculating is fun, and in less than a month, we'll have some new cards!

Edited by Estel Edain, 03 June 2014 - 11:17 PM.

• Pharmboys2013, Catastrophic09, Noccus and 2 others like this

#53 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Best educated guesses I've seen for this game before.
Really hope you are right about Halbarad and Gamling. I really love the Haldir ally and am looking forward to having him and his two brothers in the one deck (two decks really, but one at the same time as I play two handed) so don't know how much I'd actually enjoy a Haldir hero.... pretty sure hes more or less confirmed though..

#54 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:53 AM

Haldir and Idraen given, Halbarad and Gamling less likely.

• SilvanBouncer likes this

#55 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Mr. Took, it's time to update the original post! :)

#56 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

You're right Joe, but from experience I know that it takes a lot of time to update the original post using the available editor.  (And it's a pain.)  I'll try to get to it tonight.  I had no time last night.

#57 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Updated.  In the process I noticed that the release window for The Antlered Crown is Q4.  Seems like they're admitting a slip somewhere.

#58 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Updated.  In the process I noticed that the release window for The Antlered Crown is Q4.  Seems like they're admitting a slip somewhere.

Are you going to add ??? Rohan hero and ??? Ranger hero like you did for the unknown spirit one? It's still confirmed information.

#59 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Sorry, yes.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#60 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

I find it interesting that we have 3 APs AND The Road Darkens expected for Quarter 2... Are they seriously going to try to release 4 sets in less than a month? I suspect all (except Dunland Trap) to be pushed out. MAYBE get another pack later this month, but certainly not 3 more.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS