Tie Bomber Builds?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 catsmacker

catsmacker

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

I am seeing a lot of very dense X and B-Wing formations locally. It seems to me that a valid counter might be Bomber(s) with Assault missiles. What is the consensus on this kind of build?

#2 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Cluster Missiles to be honest.   Jonus makes his allies' cluster missiles so much better than any other missile IMO.   

I own 4 bombers and try to use them alot.   I've run Jonus w 3x Scimitar each with a cluster, plus howlrunner for after they've spend their payload.  

I also have a build where I drop howlrunner and upgrade one bomber to Major Rhymer, then give out some bombs to my 2 named bombers... I still have strong cluster missiles due to Jonus, but now I've also got some bombs which totally rock on high PS pilots. 

#3 catsmacker

catsmacker

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am still fuzzy on how bombs work. 

#4 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Jonus

+Swarm Tactics

+Assault Missiles

+Seismic Charges

Scimitar Squadron

+Assault Missiles

+Seismic Charges

x3

100 Points

First combat turn, Alpha strike: release ALL Assault Missiles, then K-turn and release ALL Seismic Charges.

Will cripple most swarms, unless the dice aren't your friends.  Will heavily damage many rebel lists as well, but not as severely.  Smart flying after that can generally beat whats left.  2 attack is weak, but Bombers are pretty hardy.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#5 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I am still fuzzy on how bombs work. 

You declare you are going to use a bomb just before you reveal your maneuver dial during the Activation Phase.  You place the 1-straight template behind your ship, and line up the bomb token in the nubs.  You then reveal your maneuver and then perform the rest of your Activation phase as normal.  They detonate (with the exception of Proximity Mines) at the start of the Combat Phase.

When Seismic Charges detonate, they deal 1 damage to all ships within Range 1 of the Bomb Token.

When Proton Bombs detonate, they deal 1 face up damage card to all ships within Range 1 of the Bomb Token, regardless if they have shields.

Proximity Mines donate when another ship or another ships movement template overlaps the Bomb Token.  When a ship overlaps the token, you roll 3 attack dice.  The ship takes any damage or critical damage that appears on the dice.  These dice cannot be modified.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#6 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

I saw this work pretty well.

Jonus w/Homing + Push the Limit

Gamma w/Assault Missiles + Cluster Missiles x2

Dark Curse

Personally, I would tweak it a little bit, but it was effective. Seriously, Jonus enhanced Cluster Missiles is just bad news for B-wings.

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

#7 Papamambo

Papamambo

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Dark Curse

Personally, I would tweak it a little bit, but it was effective. Seriously, Jonus enhanced Cluster Missiles is just bad news for B-wings.

Just out of curiosity, would Jonus' ability trigger on both rolls of the dice? "Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack twice."  I was just wondering if Jonus' ability would allow you to reroll 2 attack dice on each attack, or just the first one?

"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern' - Anonymous
Rebel - X-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (2), B-Wing (2), E-Wing (2), Z-95 (5), Hwk-290 (1), YT-1300 (1), YT-2400 (1), Rebel Aces (1), GR-75 Transport (1)Imperial - TIE ln (3), TIE Interceptor (1), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (2), TIE Defender (1), TIE Phantom (2), Lambda(1), Firespray (1), VT-49 Decimator (1), Imperial Aces (2)

#8 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Each attack in the Cluster is considered separate, so Jonus activates on BOTH attacks.

• OpticFusion and Engine25 like this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#9 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Dark Curse

Just out of curiosity, would Jonus' ability trigger on both rolls of the dice? "Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack twice."  I was just wondering if Jonus' ability would allow you to reroll 2 attack dice on each attack, or just the first one?

Each attack in the Cluster is considered separate, so Jonus activates on BOTH attacks.

This.

Also means that Airen Cracken's pilot ability triggers twice, which I plan to employ frequently. Giving him Push the Limit and flying next to Dutch lets him focus the first attack and Target Lock the second.

BUT, I digress, as this is a bomber thread.

#10 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sable ran this last week at our league. 

Gamma Squadron Pilot x5

-Seismic Charge

I didn't have the honor of facing it, but I know he went undefeated all night. It looked pretty nasty. 

#11 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I am seeing a lot of very dense X and B-Wing formations locally. It seems to me that a valid counter might be Bomber(s) with Assault missiles. What is the consensus on this kind of build?

I have one I like:

Vader, Squad Leader, Assault Missiles

Jonus

Gamma, 4 points for ord.

Scimitar, 4 points for ord.

Vader's SL is important as he helps the lower PS pilots target lock.  If you want assault missiles on all of them, knock down gamma to scimitar.  

#12 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

It is BECAUSE Jonus's ability works with both attacks of a Cluster Missile that it is a good choice.  Without that you wouldn't see as much praise for that combo.  With Jonus to reroll 2/3 of the Cluster Missile dice they almost become useful against more maneuverable ships as well.

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

If you want to go with Bombers Don't forget to take Jonus, he is like the Howelrunner for missiles and torpedo, only he lets you re-roll 2 dice.

Like Howelrunner Jonus does not boost himself, so I don't usually put any secondary weapons on him.  I do like to give him squad leader, so he can let one of his wingmen target lock at his PS.

Jonus with Cluster Missiles is really really good.

Jonus with Krassis is also really really good.

Sometimes I give Jouns a bomb, but usually I don't, I don't want him to be any more of a target than he has to be.

Jonus is also much harder to kill than Howelrunner.  Also If Jonus dies in the second round of shooting, there is a pretty good chance that your other ships have already fired their missiles/torps so it isn't as big of a deal.

I don't think I would take Bombers without Jonus to back them up.  I love Jonus.

• Johdo likes this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#14 catsmacker

catsmacker

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the excellent feedback :)

#15 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I agree 100%.  The problem with using assault missile against rebels is that they don't have to fly close together.  If they see you have assault missiles, a good player will spread out his force.  If they see you have multiple assault missiles the player doesn't even have to be all that good.

Assault missiles work on TIE swarms, because if the player spreads out his TIEs then the Assault missiles have already done their job.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#16 FTS Gecko

FTS Gecko

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I really want to try out the following:

Colonel Jendon w/ HLC, Weapons Engineer, ST-321 title and either Gunner or FCS

Captain Jonus w/ Concussion Missile x 2 and Adrenaline Rush

Scimitar Squadron Pilot w/ Concussion Missile x 2

Jendon hands out target locks ASAP, allowing the bombers to take Focus actions as well by the time they get in range, Jonus buffs Jendon's HLC in return (and/or Scimitar if necessary).

Relies on a good first turn of shooting, but with potentially 12 shots with rerolls and/or focus, it could do quite a bit of damage.

Payload is the killer when it comes to Bombers - that's what they're there for, but you really pay through the nose for it.

Bacon for breakfast, bacon for tea; bacon for you, bacon for me.

#17 Prathin

Prathin

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

I ran that with cluster missiles in a friendly. By the time you are in range, everyone has a TL and can focus, and with Jonus's re-roll it was pretty effective. Afterwards, though, I was glad they only had Ys left. I didn't fancy facing anything else with two attack die.

#18 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

if u want to go super bomber give Majoy rhymer

boost engine+push the limit+ 2 cluster missiles + 2x advanced torpedos ( never tested but this sounds preeety damn strong and suuper points costs for one ship ;P )

but for fun porpuses why not ;p ?

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#19 Eyeless1

Eyeless1

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

I love Major Rhymer w/ Adv Proton Torpedoes and PtL. It obliterates everything!!!!

#20 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Bombers are going to be real fun when failsafe munitions comes out!

• The_Brown_Bomber and catachan23 like this

Enimo Et Fide

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS