Gather around men and women

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I would have expected a thread about gender and race equality from a Star Trek forum.

This is Star Wars. Star Wars is about space legends and dashing heroes, not touting progressive messages on a canvas of science fiction. Let's have our adventures and not stare too hard at the social-political ramifications of the set pieces and characters, because they shouldn't matter here.

• Rodrigo Istalindir, dvor and Darthfish like this

#22 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Well, if you go into the EU (as FFG already has) there's a decent amount of pilots to choose from

Females

Erisi Dlarit

Mirax Terrik

Rhysati Ynr

Lujayne Forge

Andoorni Hui

Jesmin Ackbar

Falynn Sandskimmer

Tyria Sarkin

Non Human

Peshk Vri'sky (Bothan)

Nawara Ven (Twi'lek)

Riv Shiel (Shistavanen)

Ooryl Qrygg (Gand)

Andoorni Hui (Rodian)

Jesmin Ackbar (Mon Cal)

Runt Ekwesh (Thakwaash)

Piggy saBinring (Gamorrean (for reals))

Grinder Thri'ag (Bothan)

And these are just the initial squads from the (reformed) Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron... Well, and Mirax... So there's plenty of stuff to pull from... And then there are the replacement folks like Aril Nunb that's a female Sullustan.  And plenty of others.  And lots of stuff to pull from between Yavin and the X wing series books.

• z0m4d and Rhinoviru3 like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#23 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

So, I have a nervous twitch when someone calls Jan a guy, or Krassis a girl, or whatever.  So, the following is a list of men and women in the game so you'll never confuse their genders again!
Jek "Piggy" Porkins
  -Yellow Aces _ (Y Wing), Red 6 during Yavin

I know he didn't last long... but he lasted long enough to know he was a human male. ;)
  • rym likes this
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#24 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

Well, if you go into the EU (as FFG already has) there's a decent amount of pilots to choose from

Females

Erisi Dlarit

Mirax Terrik

Rhysati Ynr

Lujayne Forge

Andoorni Hui

Jesmin Ackbar

Falynn Sandskimmer

Tyria Sarkin

Non Human

Peshk Vri'sky (Bothan)

Nawara Ven (Twi'lek)

Riv Shiel (Shistavanen)

Ooryl Qrygg (Gand)

Andoorni Hui (Rodian)

Jesmin Ackbar (Mon Cal)

Runt Ekwesh (Thakwaash)

Piggy saBinring (Gamorrean (for reals))

Grinder Thri'ag (Bothan)

And these are just the initial squads from the (reformed) Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron... Well, and Mirax... So there's plenty of stuff to pull from... And then there are the replacement folks like Aril Nunb that's a female Sullustan.  And plenty of others.  And lots of stuff to pull from between Yavin and the X wing series books.

I want Rhysati and Erisi in this game so bad. and Oorl!

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#25 TomRK

TomRK

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Kyle and Jan are the only ones I got wrong. But for good reasons:

Kyle I mistook for Kylie. Unforgivable dumb moment. I hang my head in shame.

Jan. I actually know someone called Jan and she is a middle aged woman.

#26 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey Vader was black, at least on the outside. Seriously people. Must we politicize this or try to shoehorn it into our current overly politically correct climate? If I wanted this screwed up reality we have now, I wouldn't be spending a fair portion of my waking hours in some galaxy far far away. Glad we have set the record straight on who was what. Now back to xwing!

#27 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

So, I have a nervous twitch when someone calls Jan a guy, or Krassis a girl, or whatever.  So, the following is a list of men and women in the game so you'll never confuse their genders again!
Jek "Piggy" Porkins

I know he didn't last long... but he lasted long enough to know he was a human male. ;)
Hey Khyros, when are you going to fix your initial post for Jek?
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#28 spindown

spindown

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Again, I'm not saying Lucas is a terrible person--but he wasn't exactly breaking down barriers.

Actually, George Lucas included a great deal of racial diversity in Star Wars - way more than people usually give him credit for:

http://youtu.be/o-isAmaVbsM?t=1m43s

• Stone37 likes this

#29 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

More Female Pilots, (both Empire and Rebels)?

Yes, please. 

I think it would also be kinda cool if they cast one of Han's ex-girlfriends/lovers/love interests as an Imperial pilot with some kind of crazy suicidal bonus against Han. 

Salla Zend (I am WELL AWARE that Salla was anti-Empire. This is for example purposes only...)

When attacking, Salla may lose two hull to damage two hull of a ship with Pilot/Crewmember Han Solo.

Boba Fett hunting Solo down: It's scary because of his ruthlessness, but in the end, it's simply business. 

One of Solo's angry ex-girlfriends hunting Solo down: It's a whole different level of scary.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...

#30 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

And with respect to the strong female characters--name at least two women (1) whose names are mentioned in the films, and (2) whose actions have a strong impact on the course of the narrative. It's Leia and… ? 

So does General Dodonna not count as a male leadership figure because they don't (at least to my memory) mention his name on screen?  Or Garven?

Especially for the time, I think the female that ARE in there show an unusual sense of role.  Heck, the Rebel Alliance is led by a woman - and here we are, America, 35+ years later without having duplicated that feat :P

It's also worth noting that one of the defining characteristics of the Empire is the lack of any sort of minority - no women, no aliens, no ethnic humans.  Lucas may not have made some subversive effort to catapult women and minorities past all discrimination, but I think his message was clear.

Edited by Buhallin, 06 April 2014 - 11:31 PM.

• VanorDM likes this

#31 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

Jek "Piggy" Porkins

Hey Khyros, when are you going to fix your initial post for Jek?

Sorry, I didn't even realize I missed labeling him :)

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#32 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

The strange thing in all this is that for RotJ, some female rebel pilots were filmed and had speaking parts.  But the footage was cut from the final film.  You can see one of the female pilots in the briefing scene (for a few microseconds...she's wearing an orange flight suit).  The others were an A-Wing pilots.  You can google "female rebel pilot star wars" to find out more and see the pics.

I'd like to see pilot cards for these two, at a minimum.

Edited by bsmith13, 07 April 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#33 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

There are three named women. You forgot Aunt Beru.

what about Greedo? I seen her in high heels in some behind the scenes pics.
  • Digitalkiller and Hoosteen like this

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#34 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

There were only what, six female parts in the original trilogy with speaking parts?

Leia, Aunt Beru, the Hoth controller who ordered the ion cannon to fire, Oola, Sy Snootles (if a puppet/CG character counts), Mon Mothma. Am I missing any?

• Vorpal Sword likes this

#35 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Oh my lord....please PLEASE keep the social justice warrior stuff off this board and leave it on tumblr.

• Thunder_Chicken and Norsehound like this

#36 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

what about Greedo? I seen her in high heels in some behind the scenes pics.

Greego, the character was male, but you are correct, was a woman who play that role on the movie, I also saw that pic long time ago. :)

• Hoosteen likes this

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#37 z0m4d

z0m4d

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Oh my lord....please PLEASE keep the social justice warrior stuff off this board and leave it on tumblr.

I don't see how this has anything to do with social justice, but if you don't like it, why read or reply?  Just leave it alone and carry on, yeah?

• Vorpal Sword likes this

#38 TomRK

TomRK

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Am I the only one who looks at the Star Wars ships and thinks "wow that's cool" not "I wonder if it is piloted by a man or a woman"?

Everyone is equal in war. Doesn't matter whether you're black or white, man or woman, rich or poor. You fight just the same and you die just the same. Only in war is everyone equal.

• TopHatGorilla likes this

#39 DigitalChicanery

DigitalChicanery

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

I can't believe no one has pointed out the real problem with this post...

It's "Kashyyyk".

• Revanchist, GroggyGolem and Khyros like this

#40 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

The strange thing in all this is that for RotJ, some female rebel pilots were filmed and had speaking parts.  But the footage was cut from the final film.  You can see one of the female pilots in the briefing scene (for a few microseconds...she's wearing an orange flight suit).  The others were an A-Wing pilots.  You can google "female rebel pilot star wars" to find out more and see the pics.

Actually, one of the female A-wing pilots is in the film... but her voice was dubbed over by a man.

• Digitalkiller likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS