Dual-Wielding Hellpistols

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

I don't think motion predictors are actually a scope.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#22 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

I don't think motion predictors are actually a scope.

Depends on which version you are reading. In Rogue Trader, it doesn't count as a Sight, but in Deathwatch, it does.

When it comes to the "one sight only" rule, I would recommend going with the house rule I use myself. Rather than to restrict a weapon from having a single sight, restrict the characters from using more than one at any one time.

That way, you can have a Red-Dot Laser Sight and a Scope at the same time, but obviously, the Red-Dot Laser Sight would give no bonus bonuses when using the Scope (and vice-versa; frankly, at extreme ranges, why would the Red-Dot Laser Sight give a bonus at all?).

Similarly, the Motion Predictor would not be usable with other scopes, and consists of a small display at the side of the weapon, used for auto-targeting and tracking.

By RAW, though? If Rogue Trader only, then no, you are entirely correct. Motion Predictor is not a Sight.

• Lynata likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#23 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Not a bad house rule, actually.

• Fgdsfg likes this

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#24 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

Also Motion Predictors are a scope designed to give +10 to BS on Semi/Full-Auto only which would be a better scope choice.

Incidentally, how do you/your group handle the Twin-Linked upgrade? Apart from an Orkish upgrade, I haven't found any rules that indicate how you would make a weapon Twin-Linked, so I've assumed they have to be deliberately designed that way. Am I overlooking something?

Dark Heresy's Ascension has rules for Combi-Weapons, which are.. a bit wonky. Combi-Weapons are basically Twin-Linked weapons that consists of two different weapons, whereas Twin-Linked weapons are two weapons of the same kind.

There are no specific rules anywhere for the creation of Twin-Linked weapons.

I would say that the creation of a Twin-Linked weapon or Combi-Weapons are involved processes, perhaps doubling all negative Acquisition modifiers (Very Rare -10 becoming -20) and halving all positive Acquisition modifiers.(Negligible Scale +30 becomes +15). Similarly, creating a Combi-Weapon or Twin-Linked weapon would likely require not only access to the weapons, but several hard Armourer Skill Tests.

Then I'd use the Twin-Linked Special Quality rules from Only War. I don't remember if they're identical to the Rogue Trader rules, I just remember that the rules have changed a couple of times throughout the books, and that I made the call to use the Only War rules because some of the other rules (such as Black Crusade) were utterly retarded.

But that's just me.

I'm looking into a similar situation.  I would like to twin-link hellpistols.

I'm assuming you could use just the one 10kg powerpack, but the clip size would still be 40.  So you would be using 2 shots everytime (or 4 shots with semi-auto?)

My question is how would you do a semi auto burst using twin-linked? Also does red-dot sight bonus stack with the twin-linked bonus?

Semi-auto burst states (+10 to BS, additional hit for every two degrees of success.)

twin linked states (A weapon with the Twin-linked Quality gains a +20% bonus to hit when fired and uses twice as much ammunition. In addition, the weapon may score one additional hit if the attack roll succeeds by two or more degrees of success.)

I have a very hard time seeing Hellpistols being Twin-Linked without becoming a Basic weapon or something. In fact, I have a hard time seeing most Pistol weapons being Twin-Linked.

I also don't think that the standard 10kg Power-Pack would be enough - the Power Packs used by Hellpistols (and Hellguns) are more than just charge packs strapped together. They're capacitors and specialized equipment. If you plug two Hellpistols into a single Power Pack, I'd expect some difficulties, especially if they fire at the same time.

As for Red-Dot Laser Sight stacking with any potential bonus from Twin-Linked, that's a yes. That's only for single shots, though (brought up to two shots by being Twin-Linked).

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean with the question about Semi-Auto Burst, though. You simply do the attack as usual, applying the effects of Twin-Linked independently.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS