Doing Actions in Street Areas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SemiAddict

SemiAddict

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

When using lots of expansions, street areas can become pretty crowded with game components, and I've been wondering about the priorities of different activities there.  I think that everyone will agree that the presence of an open gate will supersede all other possible activities, but without an open gate, there are some interesting situations:

(1) The FAQ makes it clear that monsters must always be dealt with before taking clue tokens; should the same rule apply to acquiring items using Mythos cards like "Estate Sale" or "Neighborhood Sale"?  I've been assuming that items would be at least as tough to grab as clues with monsters present.  One exception that I'm sure about, because I asked FFG: the Vision Quest spell can be cast to acquire clue tokens before dealing with monsters.

(2) Can more than one activity be taken during Arkham Encounters? For example, if a player is required to do an Exhibit Encounter (CotDP), can he also take action vis a vis a Rumor, or must that wait until a later turn? I suspect that one such activity is equivalent to an Encounter.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

(1) I'd say that monsters (unless you Evade them) make you end your movement, so you have to deal with them before stopping for a couple of souvenirs at the Neighborhood sale (plus, it's similar to "monster or clue token first?" conundrum, and I don't see why it should be ruled in one way in the clue case and in another in the item case

(2) unless the wording "you may do XY instead of having an encounter" is used, I'm ok with concurrent activities (but I haven't played with the Revised Pharaoh yet, so I'm sure others will help you on this one better)

• SemiAddict likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Semiaddict,

Interesting questions - an overarching conundrum for AH is the interplay between and among the various cards.

In light of your first inquiry, the appearance of gates on Street Locations makes an interesting example...I would personally play it as a gate on a normal "location" in that you would eschew any chances of garnering any items on a Street Location due to the very existence of a gate.

With regard to your second inquiry, I've played with the new (and old, simultaneously) CotDP and as an encounter is an encounter...thus, if you take a CotDP-Whisper Token encounter, I wouldn't also allow one to do something in relation to a Rumor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Joe
  • SemiAddict likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 SemiAddict

SemiAddict

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks, guys, I'm glad to see I'm occasionally thinking along the same lines as seasoned veterans.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS