About the Regionals....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Seems to be very little details as of yet as far as anything at all resembling rules and format.

I'm generally certain we will be using 100pt squads.

Any word on if any of the upcoming expansions will be legal?  Imperial Aces?

Also, aren't the regional tournaments supposed to be two day events?

I'm heading all the way up to Monroeville PA from Norfolk, Va.  Been looking at bus tickets since I don't care to drive all that distance alone.  Just trying to get all my ducks in a row!

You do not need to see how many ships I own.

This is not the signature you are looking for.

Move along.

#2 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

I would guess now that store champs are done, that a new updated faq would come out sometime soon.

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#3 pheaver

pheaver

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

I can't see any reason why Imperial Aces will not be legal by that time, but I doubt the Rebel Transport's pilots and upgrades will be legal.

Also, I suspect almost all of the regionals will be one-day events.  Expect a full day!  For example, 64 players will be 5 rounds, a top 8 (3 more rounds), and hopefully one or more breaks for food.  With just the 8 rounds of play, that's 10 hours of play not including time between rounds or breaks.

• Texx likes this

#4 Texx

Texx

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

As Paul said, Imperial Aces *should* be legal for regionals.  However, to be sure, keep checking the 'official tournament rules' document at the link: http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=174&esem=4

Until the imperial aces expansion pack shows up in the list on the last page, the expansion is not technically legal. 

Note that for Worlds 2013, FFG didn't update the list to include wave 3 until a few weeks before the competition. I believe they waited a little while so they could gather up various FAQ items from Wave 3, and throw them all into the same update.

#5 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'll have to wait then and see any official descriptors.

If it's truly a one day affair, I think that will kill it for me.  Norfolk to Monroeville PA is a 9 hour drive.  That's with MY car.  I was thinking of taking the Greyhound as the busstop is right there at the mall the store is close to...but that's 112 bucks.

Not sure I can justify the trouble/cost for a one day event.  I was looking at making a little weekend tourney gaming vacation out of it but for one day it's just not worth it.

Like I said...I'll have to wait and see then.  Regionals need to be something really special in order to make that hike.

Move along.

#6 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

FYI - as an ex-Pittsburgher, the public bus network is actually quite vast.  So if you ended up with a bus that goes to the central bus depot, you can hop on a public bus for like 3 bucks and ride it out to Monroeville mall.  Sure, it'll add an hour or two to your transit, but if you're discussing 112 vs. 56 or something, it'll totally be worth it.  

I'm a little dissappointed they aren't doing preregistration since their shop can hold "400 people"  (It is a massive store, I'll give them that, but one has to wonder if they're truly setup to handle a tourney that large from an organization point of view)... I want my alternate art Luke dagmanit!

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#7 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

FYI - as an ex-Pittsburgher, the public bus network is actually quite vast.  So if you ended up with a bus that goes to the central bus depot, you can hop on a public bus for like 3 bucks and ride it out to Monroeville mall.  Sure, it'll add an hour or two to your transit, but if you're discussing 112 vs. 56 or something, it'll totally be worth it.  

I'm a little dissappointed they aren't doing preregistration since their shop can hold "400 people"  (It is a massive store, I'll give them that, but one has to wonder if they're truly setup to handle a tourney that large from an organization point of view)... I want my alternate art Luke dagmanit!

I'm wondering about the lack of pre-registration myself and how many will show up in the Twin Cities.  I emailed and asked but they said to just "show up."  I hope it goes well, but I could see that being a disaster, too, if they are way over expected.

Edited by AlexW, 03 April 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#8 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I'll have to wait then and see any official descriptors.

If it's truly a one day affair, I think that will kill it for me.  Norfolk to Monroeville PA is a 9 hour drive.  That's with MY car.  I was thinking of taking the Greyhound as the busstop is right there at the mall the store is close to...but that's 112 bucks.

Not sure I can justify the trouble/cost for a one day event.  I was looking at making a little weekend tourney gaming vacation out of it but for one day it's just not worth it.

Like I said...I'll have to wait and see then.  Regionals need to be something really special in order to make that hike.

Well, even if it is one day, you're likely to get a lot of games and it is a 1 in 16 event.

#9 pheaver

pheaver

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Unless you are going to GenCon or Worlds, Regionals will most certainly be the largest event with the strongest competition that you'll see this year.  No one else from the Norfolk area is going?  You might be able to carpool up, or make it up to NoVa and carpool from there.

Oh, and I really think that the regionals running people should do side events on Sunday for people to make a weekend out of it.  Just run a three round event before everyone goes home, and give out prize kit tokens or something.  Make it short and sweet.

Paul

Edited by pheaver, 03 April 2014 - 09:25 AM.

• ManOnAWire and Khyros like this

#10 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I've talked to several of the tourney goers around here.  Apparently I'm the only one "hard core" enough to even consider it.  (this comes from years of 40k GT hopping)

I wish I was more of a "player", I've been so busy lately I cannot even get nightly games on Vassal.  8mo old, 10yo, wife, job, and nightly part time job destroy my ability to get constant games in like a Royal Guard Interceptor Arc-dodges!  Point being, if I was assured of hitting top 5% in a major tourney I would go (a realistic goal for me to shoot for in 40k back in the day).  Still, that alt-art Skywalker is still a draw...and I'm VERY much into this game.  Perhaps I underestimate myself.

At any rate.  At this point it's a question of affordability.  112 bucks on Greyhound is a definite possibility.  They drop right at the mall next to the stores location in Monroeville and if I read how you catch Greyhound busses I will be able to pick up the same bus to go home on the return trip at that same point.  More research needed there.  This cost is likely cheaper than gas...and I can spend the hella long ride reading, sleeping and playing a game on my laptop.  All in all a nice Vacation.

Hurting the affordability factor however is a business/family trip for my entire family flying to Texas exactly one month after this Tourney is scheduled.  For that we're talking over 1000 bucks in plane tickets....and this is more important so it must be purchased before any toy soldier excursion.

I'm socking away the Part-Time gig money however.  I really want to go, and really want to be part of a big event supporting this hobby.  I pretty much gave up 40k for this...and I love big tourney get-togethers.

We just have to wait and see.

Move along.

#11 timewalker03

timewalker03

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

I can't see any reason why Imperial Aces will not be legal by that time, but I doubt the Rebel Transport's pilots and upgrades will be legal.

Also, I suspect almost all of the regionals will be one-day events.  Expect a full day!  For example, 64 players will be 5 rounds, a top 8 (3 more rounds), and hopefully one or more breaks for food.  With just the 8 rounds of play, that's 10 hours of play not including time between rounds or breaks.

Paul, The Bellevue Nebraska regional is building in two breaks. It will be a long day. If we hit more than 64, we may move to a top 16, but will have to see. We are currently at 40 with a month to go. Looking forward to a great day.

xwingtoman

#12 pbpancho

pbpancho

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

I'm wondering about the lack of pre-registration myself and how many will show up in the Twin Cities.  I emailed and asked but they said to just "show up."  I hope it goes well, but I could see that being a disaster, too, if they are way over expected.

Well, FFG had 44 for regionals last year, and they had space for 150 plus at Worlds.  I think they'll be the LEAST likely to have issues with overbooking of any location.

#13 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Well, FFG had 44 for regionals last year, and they had space for 150 plus at Worlds.  I think they'll be the LEAST likely to have issues with overbooking of any location.

Possibly, but it's still a one day tourney.

#14 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

One of the Texas regionals is in Plano (Dallas) in July...if you're going to be in Texas during that time...hit that one up :-)

#15 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Waiting to see the new rules update before working too much on planning out the day for our Regional here in Mesa, AZ. I suspect that with such a long drive ahead of them, people coming from San Diego, LA, LV, etc. won't be into doing much on the Sunday afterwards, but the thought hadn't even crossed my mind to ask until I read it upstream in this thread, so grateful for that.

I'm really trying to think through all the little details that make up a quality gaming experience. Setting a positive, Fly Casual tone up front encouraging good sportsmanship, playing optimally, etc. Transitioning between rounds smoothly but quickly. Holding back swag until the start of the final round to encourage all players to stick around through qualifiers (and letting them know up front it is appreciated that they do so). Providing trail mix, apples, and other food that can keep your brain alive in the later rounds (and water of course). At Regionals I think I'll have a map of the area for out-of-towners so they know where they can go grab lunch/dinner on our breaks. What else would YOU want to see? What do you hope to see at the Regional you are going to if you're heading to one?

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IV

Galactic Empire Peacekeepers: 10 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS