Celestial Wizard build suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dobyk21

dobyk21

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

So, I am currently preparing a Wizard character of the Celestial Order for a campaign, but as I was reviewing all the action cards available to the order from the Core set, the Vault, WoM and the PoD I got slightly confused. From a variety of 30 action cards to choose from, it's really hard for me to properly foresee how I might want to build my wizard. I really love the teleports, astral projection, flight and all of the cool high-crit lightning bolts, but I'm having trouble picking from all the portents, omens and so forth. Influencing dice rolls can be a potentially game-changing move, but since I've never played the game before I have no idea which spells can be of better use.

So, for those who have tried some Celestial fun, are there any suggestions on action builds? Perhaps some sample tactics? I know the game should be narrative driven, but a little bit of strategy and foresight always helps (as is fitting for a blue wizard). Any thoughts?

Edited by dobyk21, 31 March 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#2 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Not sure what actions to suggest, but some career level-up advice: from Apprentice Wizard go into Mystic, then Seer. The bonus Fortune advances are obscene, and the career abilities let you meddle in everybody's die rolls.

• dobyk21 likes this

#3 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

If I was going to start playing a Wizard in someone elses WFRP game. I would probably go Celestial.

Other than just looking at the Spell Action Cards, I would recommend taking a quick gander at the social Action Cards. Like "Sage Advice" and similar Action cards intended for scholars and wise people. Particularly as a Celestial Wizard I would think your contribution to a group would be as an adviser and knowledge-base.

Your spells might also be a GREAT tool for the GM if he knows how to use it. Whenever he needs to nudge the players or give them a hint, he can basically speak through your character as the wizard reads the stars.

• dobyk21 likes this

#4 dobyk21

dobyk21

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Not sure what actions to suggest, but some career level-up advice: from Apprentice Wizard go into Mystic, then Seer. The bonus Fortune advances are obscene, and the career abilities let you meddle in everybody's die rolls.

If you complete your Apprentice Wizard career and go to, let's say, Seer, which actually gives Celestial Apprentice as one of the prerequisites, can you keep casting spells? As far as I understand, I need the Order talent to learn spell Action Cards of that order, but do I need the talent to actually cast the spells and use channeling? Because I'm planning to make my apprentice a seer, and then eventually return him to the wizardly path and make him an Acolyte, but am I going to lose the ability to cast spells altogether as a Seer?

Edited by dobyk21, 10 April 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#5 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

No. You no more loose the spell action cards than you would loose, for example, melee attacks if you were a soldier who switched to scholar or whatever. You are just not studying wizardry, so you are not learning any new spells.

#6 dobyk21

dobyk21

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

No. You no more loose the spell action cards than you would loose, for example, melee attacks if you were a soldier who switched to scholar or whatever. You are just not studying wizardry, so you are not learning any new spells.

Nice, thanks for the clarification! Also, where does the "Sage Advice" card come from? I can't find it in the core set, GM's Vault maybe?

#7 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Maybe I'm remembering the card wrong. There are some cards that use education or folklore. THese would probably all fit to some degree.

#8 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Sage Advice is a social action card from Lure of Power. It allows the user to "cite an appropriate scrap of folk wisdom pertaining to the current situation" which allows you to add a white die or two into an ally's dice pool.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS