Photo

Forsee Incomplete?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#41 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

Good points, but there is nothing in Forsee that suggests a mechanism for viewing the present.

What would qualify as viewing "the present"? What constitutes "the present" in game time, both structured and narrative? I really wonder how to put such a thing into the game mechanically, that is better than initiative checks (I mean sure, Perception could be included too I guess...) and the current glimpse up to one day into the future, but I assume it can be pretty much shorter than that too, like 1 minute from now, or " what happens if I open this door?" ...

Initiative checks are certainly a lot more immediate than looking one day into the future, you can also affect your allies' initiative and grant them cool free stuff. Sort of like battle meditation, right?

I think it covers "the present" pretty well, without infringing upon the Sense power. These two combined are dangerous! You become initiative, attack and defence monkey. You can sense living, you can foresee what is about to happen - and this combination tells you whether its something alive or not that's going hurt you. Additionally you improve you allies' initiative (and perhaps grant them a free manoeuvre), and with a high enough force rating give yourself upgrades to both attack and defence. Of course, a force rating of 3 or higher is preferable to do this - and then the foresee won't really happen regularly.

I've used foresee for present events. One of my players took Foresee for his FS:Em. The last time he used it, I played it akin to a cut scene. I had no intention of revealing the information at the time, but because the FS:Em called upon the darkside and the scene he would see involved someone strongly connected to the character's past, I played it out. I didn't specify when the scene was happening at that moment in time. Whether in the present or sometime in the near future, but it worked great. Because the FS:Em used darkside pips, I flavored it really heavy with darkside descriptors and strong emotions.

Edited by kaosoe, 10 June 2014 - 06:43 AM.

• Jegergryte likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS