Photo

Rebels and the Loot/Money game. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

So..you mean like, the first episode of Firefly?..

This is one of the loveliest adventure synopses I have read.

Not sure, never seen it. But probably. I understand it to be a Western in Space in its essentials.

I lack credentials.

#122 TarlSS

TarlSS

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I base my opinions on the language that was used in the movies.  In the opening crawl of IV, Rebels striking from their Hidden Base.  Singular.  You'd prefer a different target?  Give us the location of your secret Base. Singular.  Crawl in V, the Imperial Fleet is spread across the galaxy in a vein effort to engage the Rebels, as in the Rebels aren't in any pitched battles anywhere since the Imperial Fleet is spread across the galaxy trying to fight them.  We see them in two movies, hiding and then running. RotJ they are in a mobile fleet and the time has finally come speech.  This is an organization with neither the resources nor the logistics to create and maintain a currency.  People can pick and choose whatever they like from the EU, but this notion is a clear departure from the actual canon of what was presented on the movie screen in dialogue and visuals.

The discussion's gone on for about six pages and pretty much going no where.

We can't force you to accept the idea of revolutionary currencies, but I guarantee you that if it was put to a vote, or submitted to an academic forum, you'd be proven wrong. Good evidence and arguments have been presented time and time again.

But the nature of the internet and free discussion means that you can continue being wrong for as long as you like. No one can stop you.  However, it also means I don't have to listen to you. So, that's what I'm doing. 

So really, just agree to disagree, because frankly there's no point here. There's no way you're going to be able to prove your point, and even if you did, you'd win nothing.

• aramis likes this

#123 Beej

Beej

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

There's the Wraith Squadron Model which was they were given standard gear (weapons/starfighters/what have you) then they had to fund themselves.  This included raids on Imperials and Imperial-friendlies.  Of course they had to kick back some of what they made to the alliance, either in equipment or precentage from proceeds of sales.  They also received peroidic resupply and what not. 

The unit could establish contacts with black market dealers and the like, selling what they salvage for credits to buy other stuff. 

What it really comes down to is are they going short missions and returning to base afterward or are they doing longer field work?  The longer in the field they are, the more they should be allowed/encouraged/helped to create alternate revenue/resupply sources. 

#124 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I base my opinions on the language that was used in the movies.  In the opening crawl of IV, Rebels striking from their Hidden Base.  Singular.  You'd prefer a different target?  Give us the location of your secret Base. Singular.  Crawl in V, the Imperial Fleet is spread across the galaxy in a vein effort to engage the Rebels, as in the Rebels aren't in any pitched battles anywhere since the Imperial Fleet is spread across the galaxy trying to fight them.  We see them in two movies, hiding and then running. RotJ they are in a mobile fleet and the time has finally come speech.  This is an organization with neither the resources nor the logistics to create and maintain a currency.  People can pick and choose whatever they like from the EU, but this notion is a clear departure from the actual canon of what was presented on the movie screen in dialogue and visuals.

1: I just watched the opening of A New Hope It does not say "Rebel spaceships striking from their hidden base." Instead it says "Rebel Spaceships striking from a hidden base."

2: You are getting two lines mixed up Vader says "Now we will discuss the location of your hidden rebel base." Than much later Tarkin asks if she would prefer a military target and tells her to name the system.

2a: First the your in Vader's question was referring to Leia not to the rebellion as a whole. He was asking for the base she reported too no more and no less.

2b: There is no reason to believe that either Vader or Tarkin would know how many bases the rebellion had.

3: The rebels were mostly fighting a guerrilla war in the Original Trilogy. They were also trying to avoid pitched battles as much as they could because in pitched battles the Empire had the advantage. The later exception being Endor when they had the shot at Palpatine and thew everything they could into it. The fact they were fighting a guerrilla war does not mean they can't print currency.

#125 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

I would say the question of how a PC gets or spends money depends on the nature of the PC group, who they report to, and where they are. A by the book officer, or even a low ranking NPC that has a high standard of honor and tells the boss could prevent looting but otherwise I don't see there being a major issue unless it's somehow tracked or they stop in the middle of a crisis to loot like idiots. But a lot of how they get "money" otherwise would depend on the situation, Leia's security team at the start of Ep IV was probably paid in imperial credits, they were technically the body guards for an imperial senetor after all even if she and they were all rebel scum. A soldier on Hoth pobably wouldn't be getting paid at that point, and would have little to spend it on anyway, but might come into the armory to grab his gun one day only to find a shiny new scope on it with the quartermaster mentioning a transport got through that mourning and he owed him for saving his best friend in that ambush two weeks back. Being "paid in good will" basically.

• copperbell likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS