Some questions from our latest game

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ianinak

ianinak

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

Sorry if these have been answered before, but my group had some questions and I wasn't sure what the answers were. Please help.

1. When you perform a combat check with vehicles weapons, do you pick one of them or may you fire all of them in one activation? It says weapons (plural), not a weapon (singular). For example, take an A-wing:

Weapons: Port-mounted light blaster cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 4; Critical 4; Range [Close])
Starboard-mounted concussion grenade launcher this weapon's entire profile uses personal scale, not
planetary scale. (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 1 0; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Breach 1, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 15).
Chin-mounted twin heavy blaster cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 1 ).

Do I pick one of the three weapons or can I fire all three of them? If I only get to fire one of them, why bother having the weaker port-mounted light blaster cannon if I will never be firing it? Is it meant purely as a backup weapon in case the other one gets disabled/destroyed?

2. When Taking Cover you retain your defensive bonus unless the circumstances around you change so that you would no longer benefit from cover. What circumstances would apply? Do you have to leave cover in order to make a combat check, like peeking out from a corner to shoot, or tossing a grenade? Would this be a maneuver to step out of cover, an action to shoot, then potentially another maneuver to dive back into cover, OR can you just stay in cover from last round and shoot, saving your maneuver for something like aiming?

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

One action fires one weapon system. Multiple weapons allow for options or simply act as back-ups if one weapon is simply the best option. If you have multiple crew, then each can potentially use a weapon system with their action.

Once in cover, you stay there until you elect to leave it (by taking a maneuver to move) or until you're forced out of it by an attack that spends 3 Advantages or a Triumph specifically to force you out of cover.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#3 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sorry if these have been answered before, but my group had some questions and I wasn't sure what the answers were. Please help.

1. When you perform a combat check with vehicles weapons, do you pick one of them or may you fire all of them in one activation? It says weapons (plural), not a weapon (singular). For example, take an A-wing:

Weapons: Port-mounted light blaster cannon (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 4; Critical 4; Range [Close])
Starboard-mounted concussion grenade launcher this weapon's entire profile uses personal scale, not
planetary scale. (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 1 0; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Breach 1, Blast 8, Limited Ammo 15).
Chin-mounted twin heavy blaster cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Damage 5; Critical 4; Range [Close]; Linked 1 ).

Do I pick one of the three weapons or can I fire all three of them? If I only get to fire one of them, why bother having the weaker port-mounted light blaster cannon if I will never be firing it? Is it meant purely as a backup weapon in case the other one gets disabled/destroyed?

2. When Taking Cover you retain your defensive bonus unless the circumstances around you change so that you would no longer benefit from cover. What circumstances would apply? Do you have to leave cover in order to make a combat check, like peeking out from a corner to shoot, or tossing a grenade? Would this be a maneuver to step out of cover, an action to shoot, then potentially another maneuver to dive back into cover, OR can you just stay in cover from last round and shoot, saving your maneuver for something like aiming?

The blasters on the A wing don't make sense, you are correct.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#4 ianinak

ianinak

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Does anyone else want to chime in on the cover thing? My group is not convinced and want more people to affirm it or an official response from somewhere...

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

The chief circumstance I would think is that your enemy flanks you and the cover no longer is applicable.

• Aservan and cvtheoman like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#6 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah the A-Wing weapons array as a whole makes little sense IMO. The WEG system had them armed with two lasers and a jammer, either d20 or the Saga system added concussion missiles, probably to match the A-Wng's armament in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer game series. I have no clue where FFG got the idea that the A-Wing had a third blaster or an anti=personal grenade launcher though.

#7 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Yeah the A-Wing weapons array as a whole makes little sense IMO. The WEG system had them armed with two lasers and a jammer, either d20 or the Saga system added concussion missiles, probably to match the A-Wng's armament in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer game series. I have no clue where FFG got the idea that the A-Wing had a third blaster or an anti=personal grenade launcher though.

The section break is a little awkward on this page.

The anti-personnel grenade launcher is from the AT-ST stat block continued from the following page. The A-Wing's stats continue at the top of the column underneath the 'Starship Profiles' header.

#8 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

As for getting any kind of official response on the subject of cover, you'd have to ask FFG directly, as they really don't post on these forums.

As for "circumstances change," that could be the 3 Advantage or 1 Triumph that HappyDaze referenced, which is also cited on page 206 on Table 6-2: Spending Advantage and Triumph in Combat (and it's harder to get more official than what's in the core rulebook).  This could be something as simple as the cover being devastated by the enemy's attack (especially if they're using heavy firepower) or timing their shots to "spook" the PC out of cover, even if only for a few moments to let the bad guy's allies take a shot or three at the PC (hunters often use this tactic to flush out certain types of prey where getting the first shot isn't as critical).

Or as he also mentioned, the character moves to a different location or changes range bands, putting them in a situation where they're no longer in cover.

It also depends on what's being used as cover.  If a PC is hiding behind a landspeeder, and someone uses their action to change the landspeeder's location, then that counts as a "change in circumstance" and the PC no longer has cover.  Or the PC is hiding behind a closed electronically-operated door, and suddenly that door opens because the party's slicer failed a Computers check with a Despair as they attempted to slice into the place's security systems, that too is a "change in circumstance."

• Aservan likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#9 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

The PC doesn't typically need to move out of cover in order to fire at an enemy.

You can say "I duck down behind some barrels for cover, and fire at the Stormtroopers."

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#10 pnewman15

pnewman15

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

The PC doesn't typically need to move out of cover in order to fire at an enemy.

You can say "I duck down behind some barrels for cover, and fire at the Stormtroopers."

Yes, but your cover may not protect you against a second group of Stormtroopers in a different location, or against the first group if they move enough. Almost all cover should stack with prone though, so you might want to go prone as well.

#11 Ahrimon

Ahrimon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

By raw there isn't any direction only range bands. Technically the player just spends a maneuver and gains cover until it is removed. Naratively the cover can be whatever you want and the situations for losing it can be anything the gm wants.
  • cvtheoman likes this

#12 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

By raw there isn't any direction only range bands. Technically the player just spends a maneuver and gains cover until it is removed. Naratively the cover can be whatever you want and the situations for losing it can be anything the gm wants.

As the corebook repeats frequently, use common sense and make it narrative.  The rules are made to be simple so as to allow for fun narrative bits.  That's why they were intentionally vague with things like "change in circumstance", because they want you to narrate more than "i gain cover, i shoot."  and "the troopers move to Short range and fire."  See Fiddleback's excellent series "Skill Monkey" for short yet very helpful advice on how to be more narrative.

• Aservan likes this

Math is such a tool.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS