• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm fairly new to X-Wing and now regularly play 75pts games at my LGS, and I've been trying to build a decent Imperial list that's not a TIE swarm. I have 3 TIE fighters, the Imp Aces (which I just bought) and a Firespray.

I tried with the Firespray first but the few lists I've tried so far (all variants of Firespray + 2 TIEs) either don't seem to work well or I'm really bad at flying them effectively!

I always test my new builds (playing alone) against Luke + R2-F2, Rookie Pilot and Gold Squad Pilot + Ion turret and so far the rebels are undefeated!

Now that I have the Aces I've put together this list:
- Kir Kanos (24)
- Lt. Lorrir + Stealth Device (26)
- Academy Pilot (12)
- Academy Pilot (12)

What do you think of this squad?
Do you think there's a way to effectively include the Firespray in 75pts?

Thanks for your help and advice :)

#2 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

75 points favors cheap ships pretty extensively.  Were I you I'd run an Interceptor(your choice) with Stealth supported by Howlrunner with stealth and then two Tie's.  Maybe Backstabber or Dark Curse and an Academy.

#3 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:21 AM

Thanks, I'll try this then:
- Lt. Lorrir + Stealth Device
- Howlrunner + Stealth Device
- Backstabber (or Dark Curse? I'm not sure which is best. I suppose it's a matter of aggressive vs defensive?)
- Academy Pilot

I also want to use my Firespray, as I just love this ship!
I thought of this to include one of my fancy new Interceptors as well:
- Boba Fett + Seismic Charges + PSL + Engine Upgrade
- Lt. Lorrir + Stealth Device

It might not be a competitive list, but could be fun to play!

#4 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

Here are a couple of Different Lists for you to try

First,
Black Squadron Pilot/TIE Fighter (14) Veteran Instincts (1)
Royal Guard Pilot/TIE Interceptor (22) Determination (1) Royal Guard TIE (0) Hull Upgrade (3) Shield Upgrade (4)
Royal Guard Pilot/TIE Interceptor (22) Determination (1) Royal Guard TIE (0) Hull Upgrade (3) Shield Upgrade (4)

All Pilots at PS6,

Second
Lieutenant Lorrir/TIE Interceptor (23) Royal Guard TIE (0) Shield Upgrade (4) Hull Upgrade (3)
Howlrunner/TIE Fighter (18) Marksmanship (3)
Academy Pilot/TIE Fighter (12)
Academy Pilot/TIE Fighter (12)

Third
Kath Scarlet/Firespray-31 (38) Veteran Instincts (1) Mercenary Copilot (2) Slave-1 (0)
Black Squadron Pilot/TIE Fighter (14) Push the Limit (3)
Black Squadron Pilot/TIE Fighter (14) Push the Limit (3)

Just food for thought try running Shield over Stealth. I know a lot of people like the extra dice, would give two reasons for Shield, it soaks up the critic and its always going to work. (When you have that roll where everything comes up blanks the extra hp will keep you alive against most attacks)

I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#5 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

First,

All Pilots at PS6,

I like the look of that first list very much!

The modifications will make the Interceptors more durable and being all PS6 makes it a bit easier to fly them together. I'm still learning to fly them effectively, I need more practice before I can field them in competitive play!

Just food for thought try running Shield over Stealth. I know a lot of people like the extra dice, would give two reasons for Shield, it soaks up the critic and its always going to work. (When you have that roll where everything comes up blanks the extra hp will keep you alive against most attacks)

I've been reading a lot about Shield Upgrade vs Stealth Device. It is a tough call I find, I totally agree with the reasons you gave here, SU is guaranteed to work and can soak up a crit while SD is more of a luck thing. On the other hand, SU works once, SD may work multiple times.

I haven't tried SU yet, so I'll give it a go and see how it works for me!

#6 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I hope you find your groove and keep practicing. Look any list can be beat so don't give up. Also try setting up different then you normally would, I find hugging a board edge with a big target to be fun esp if the target is going to move straight, and I use the 3 asteroids to block movement on the other side so it because a tight lane to stick in. Post some battle reports, and pictures show others what you are doing here so we can see what's going on. Again don't give up.

And crush the rebel scum. :-) because they still have jar jar and must be punished for that.

Edited by Cubanboy, 31 March 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• Darthfish and darkflop like this
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#7 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

First,
All Pilots at PS6,

I like the look of that first list very much!

The modifications will make the Interceptors more durable and being all PS6 makes it a bit easier to fly them together. I'm still learning to fly them effectively, I need more practice before I can field them in competitive play!

I've been reading a lot about Shield Upgrade vs Stealth Device. It is a tough call I find, I totally agree with the reasons you gave here, SU is guaranteed to work and can soak up a crit while SD is more of a luck thing. On the other hand, SU works once, SD may work multiple times.

I haven't tried SU yet, so I'll give it a go and see how it works for me!
Stealth upgrade isn't about the statistics. It's about the paychology. It's a way to subtly make a specific ship a less viable target in your opponent's mind. Who do you shoot. Howlrunner with 4 Agility and a focus or the Tie fighter who's got an extra reroll, a focus you might strip and only 3 agility. It's a hard choice.

#8 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

That's all great advice, thanks guys!

I'll keep practicing with my imperials. So far in competitive play I stick to my Rebels list, as I find it easier to fly, more resilient and I manage to score a good amount of wins. I'll play the imperials on my own and in casual games to find my flying style and once I'm happy I'll try them in competitions and tournaments.

I never thought of Stealth as a psychological asset! That's very interesting...

#9 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Now I've found a list I'm happy with and I'm getting better at flying my Interceptors, with a few wins under my belt.

To spice it up a bit I'd like to try flying a Firespray along with an Interceptor!
It will be challenging having only two ships, but good fun (and I want to use my Firespray)!

Here's what I put together, two slightly different lists on which I would like to know what you think:
List 1:
- Boba Fett + Expert Handling + Seismic Charges
- Carnor Jax + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

List 2:
- Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling
- Carnor Jax + PSL + Royal Guard TIE + SD + Hull Upgrade

Both as high PS as possible (except for Soontir, but I don't have his card yet) to move last and shoot first, EH to make crazy moves with the Firespray and Jax to deny Focus. I think I like the first one better with Fett allowing a last minute change of direction and some fireworks for tailgaters. The second one makes Jax a tad more durable, 1HP doesn't look like much, yet I have experienced a few games where it made all the difference!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS