1st off, welcome to the community and the game itself.
Secondly, I don't know if this is your first foray into the world of Warhammer or just WFRP, but you should know that it's (supposed to be, depends on GM though) an extremely hard core, grim dark world, so prepare yourself (and your wife) for the very real possibility that you might be creating another character in a few sessions time Not to sound harsh, but it does happen in WFRP quite a bit that characters die.
Ok, now for my 2 brass:
The Waywatcher is an extremely powerful ranged class. You most likely won't start with, but if you advance enough and your GM is cool with it, there's an item for you called the Bow of Athel Loren, which is an awesome longbow. You have a lot of versatility in actions, and should most of the time be in the back.
You will automatically start with the following stats:
Agility and Fellowship are 3-3 starting for the Wood Elf, and the Waywatcher's Primary Attributes (as you can see on the career card) are Agility and Willpower, so you increase them for free to 4.
If you have the Player's guide, the explanation on how to spend creation points (of which you as an elf have 20) is extremely good. You should also have that table of how many points each thing costs. It costs you an amount of creation points to increase a stat = the new value. Stats are pretty important in the game, and I would go with the following stat build (personal preference):
That means 14 points spent out of the 20. I know, it's a lot, and arguably, you don't need Strength 3, to be honest, but it never hurts when you have to break free from a ghoul's hold, or you have some Athletics check to pass. Fellowship hurts, but then again, you're a Wood Elf. It should be illegal for you to have more than 2 Fellowship. Hell, they hate everyone, and just barely -tolerate- SOME Bretonnians.
When it comes to Action cards, there aren't THAT many great ones, and you're going to pick up 3 during your progression, so I'd spend 3 creation points and go with the following:
- Rapid Fire (reckless side is better since it was FAQ'd that you can only shoot 2 shots with conservative face up or 3 with reckless side up)
- Immobilising Shot (conservative side is slightly better since you can add 1 token for 1 boon instead of 2)
- Sniper Shot (if the target has very high soak, reckless side up, otherwise, conservative side)
I would then proceed during the character's progression to pick up:
- Improved Dodge
- Find Weakness (You want the conservative face up on this, so that you can keep removing those purples).
- Berzerker Rage!
I wouldn't spend more than 1 point here, as you're going to be choosing 1 during the character progression anyway. I'd go with:
- Quick Wits (Exhaust to remove 2 recharge tokens from an action card). By using this talent, you'll be able to spam Rapid Fire 2 turns in a row.
During character progression, I'd go with a Tactic talent like:
- Exceptional Training or Coordinated Efforts (choose 1, both are good).
That leaves us with 2 points for Skills. That means 3 trained + 1 specialization. I would go with:
- Nature Lore, Athletics, Ballistic Skill (specializing here in: Bow)
REMEMBER: You get a free training as a wood elf, that I would use for Observation.
How to play the guy:
Always be in the back. At the beginning of fights, look around, see what's happening. If there's one big bad dude, you should do the following:
1. Adjust to 1 space deep in Conservative
2. use Immobilising Shot on big bad dude.
1. use Find Weakness using conservative side on big bad dude
2. spend 1 fatigue to use Berzerker Rage!
3. use Rapid Fire on its reckless side
1. Exhaust Quick Wits.
2. remove 2 tokens from Rapid Fire
3. use Rapid Fire again on big bad dude.
He should be dead.
Assuming he's not, you can instead use Immobilising shot again.
Against multiple enemies:
1. Adjust to 1 space deep in Conservative
2. use Find Weakness
3. use Arrowstorm
1. Adjust to 2 space deep in Conservative
2. use Rapid Fire on Conservative side
3. use Talent, remove 2 tokens from Arrowstorm
1. use Find Weakness again if it has refreshed, if not go to 2
2. use Arrowstorm