Cancelling Shadow Card Actions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

This is related to the Iron Throne thread but I thought it would be easier to keep this separate

I'm a bit confused re Shadow cancellations

I couldn't think of an example of a shadow card that could be cancelled and re-triggered due to it being in a non-visible area of play

Most of the shadow cards have "Response: After card comes out of shadows...." - so when that is cancelled it is in a visible area? ... and if the card was an event card, it ends up in discard not back in shadows?

With something like the long plan, it is the bringing out of shadows that is cancelled, so it goes back into shadows? ... but I assume you cannot trigger it again due to the limit?

Response: After you have lost your third challenge in the same phase, bring The Long Plan out of Shadows by paying the rest of its gold cost. Then, claim 3 power for your House. (Limit 1 per phase.)

I've never been certain on events with Limit 1 per phase ... does this mean I can only attempt to play 1 copy of the event regardless of how many I have or what areas of play it is in

thanks

#2 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

Responses "after a card comes out of shadows" or "after <this card> comes out of shadows" are triggered while the card is in play. This his how most responses on shadow cards are worded.

The Long Plan (along with Sorrowful Man and Moat Cailin) is different: the response is triggered while the card is in the shadows and brings the card out. So it is canceled, the card stays in shadows (it cannot go back, since it didn't leave in the first place) and only the limit on The Long Plan stops you from triggering it again. Since The Long Plan is triggered from out-of-play, the limit applies to all copies of The Long Plan you may have in shadows.

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

I've never been certain on events with Limit 1 per phase ... does this mean I can only attempt to play 1 copy of the event regardless of how many I have or what areas of play it is in

(4.22) Phase and Round Limits

A limit on an effect on a card that remains in play through the resolution of the effect applies to the copy of the card on which the limit is printed.

A limit on an effect on a card that never enters play (such as an event card) or leaves play as a result of the resolution of the effect, such as Den of the Wolf (ATOR F58), or Ser Preston Greenfield (TKR F57) returning himself to Shadows, applies to all copies of that card, by title.

----------

So, if a card with a limit starts "in-play" and ends "in play," the limit is effectively self-referential and applies to that copy of the card only. So, for example, you can trigger the Response on each copy of The Long Lances just once per phase.

But if the card with a limit is triggered while it is not in play, or the resolution of its own effect removes it from play, the limit refers to all cards with the same title. So, for example, limits on events played from your hand generally apply to all events with the same title.

Edited by ktom, 28 March 2014 - 07:54 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS