I think I'm paranoid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BWP

BWP

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi, my first post here I think, have been playing AH regularly for a few years now. Our gaming group are pretty comfortable with the game, have absorbed the FAQ, applied some house rules ... all the standard stuff. Still, every now and again something happens that makes you wonder how other people play it ....

1) A couple of the PS act as Allies for the Investigator when successful (e.g., Hank). Suppose Hank has been unlucky and acquired the "Paranoia" Madness card before completing his PS?

My gut feeling is that life is bad for Hank in this instance. Passing the PS means that he doesn't fail it (which is good) but he doesn't get the immediate benefit of passing it ... in this, case Pa gets sent to the Box. Thoughts?

2) A more general question re: Madness/Injury cards. Without them, you lose clues, items, etc., and skip the rest of your turn (IIRC). The rules for the cards state that you don't lose anything and have the Sanity/Stamina healed to full ... but says nothing about losing time. If you go insane during the Movement Phase, take a Madness Card, do you have an Encounter opportunity (presumably in the Asylum) in the same turn?

We play "no" but the rules wording made me wonder ... thoughts?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Finished with my woman cause she couldn't help me with my mind *tuning Paranoid in her head*

1) interesting question. Paranoia implies you discard all your allies and you can't get any new one. The pass condition for the card states "this card counts as an ally", so, yes, I think your reading is correct. In any case, the real FAQ is: why should you waste 5 clues (a seal) to have Hank pass his PS? Failing it is a -1 to San; considering this doesn't affect the way Hank deals with monsters, I'dn't care too much about that. But your doubt is clearly legitimate :)

2) nope, when you get an Injury / Madness as result of being knocked unconscious / driven insane you lose the rest of the turn as per normal rules for being knocked unconscious / driven insane. Point is that "instead of losing [...] you take the card". It's not "instead of losing [possession] AND the reminder of the turn you take the card"

Hope this helps :)

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Oh! Also, I believe you still lose a Retainer even when opting for an I/M card. Try to associate loss of retainer as a penalty on the Retainer itself, and not on you for going insane or unconscious.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yup, indeed, no more money from Retainers!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS