Star Trek as Lotr-esque LCG

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

I think klaymen_sk wasn't commenting on a lack of source material, but on the style of the setting. Koop doesn't seem to fit in there.

And RPG's of Warhammer are exact proof that Co-Op fits. (that's because they're technically co-op, if you haven't guessed yet)

Sure, but they are usually on a small scale (an elite squad, a small investigation group or so) and frankly, Warhammer is more about epic battles, so on a larger scale the coop won't work much.

Strange, because most RPG Warhammer scenarios I've seen are on a small, Co-Op LCG fitting scale.

Examples: Investigating Slaanesh cult in town (Peril in Pelargir, Stewards Fear, Trouble in Tharbad), trying to escape from the area that will get orbital striked soon (Escape from Dol Guldur, Flight from Moria, Flight to the Ford), and etc. etc. etc.

Warhammer is a universe, it's not "about", it's a container of content which can be utilized to create literature, games, movies and etc. There is nothing standing between them and real Warhammer Co-Op LCG.

Speaking of which - http://www.fantasyfl...nmi=Death Angel

But it's not the type of card game I'm talking about, It's a boardgame that happens to use cards as it's main components. 

#22 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think klaymen_sk wasn't commenting on a lack of source material, but on the style of the setting. Koop doesn't seem to fit in there.

And RPG's of Warhammer are exact proof that Co-Op fits. (that's because they're technically co-op, if you haven't guessed yet)

So you like a pathfinder style co-op game for 40K and/or Fantasy. That will be work and FFG have the RPG rights....

Since for Fantasy don't come more AP's - that can be work...

I'm confused because I can't quite understand what are you trying to say here. 

If you're talking about pathfinder advanture card game - no, I don't like anything like that in Warhammer setting. I would like a "real" cooperative card game set in any of Warhammer universes. By "real" I mean games like LCG's of FFG, not dice rolling fest.

OK, you are correct. It would be great, than you have to roll many dices in a LCG. That's to random. I use it as proxy for an RPG like card game. But that wasn't a good one.

#23 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

mmmm...

James Tiberius Kirk

Spock

• Raven1015 likes this

#24 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

OK, you are correct. It would be great, than you have to roll many dices in a LCG. That's to random. I use it as proxy for an RPG like card game. But that wasn't a good one.

I was talking about setting. The LCG itself would use no dice, obviously.

#25 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I know this might sound crazy, but the best star trek-based game on any media I've played is this one:

http://www.wixiban.c...kybox-sttcg.htm

It let you craft your own missions to go on, with a mission, plot, and discovery, giving your opponent chances to play enemies or spatial anomalies or whatever to stop you along the way. I saw this thing in a bargain bin back in high school, we played it like 3 times and threw it out but I still think this was the best to staying true to the source material. You could have great missions like "The USS Enterprise proceeds to explore an uncharted region of space, despite an alien warning buoy..." when Wyatt Urp attacks Kirk!

• Raven1015 likes this

#26 Snowhive

Snowhive

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I was talking about setting. The LCG itself would use no dice, obviously.

Then it should be a co-op game in the Fantasy or 40K setting, it have to be a group with a common goal - so it is the RPG setting. Why shouldn't that work?

#27 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Setting = Warhammer, not RPG. RPG = genre.

#28 Senf

Senf

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

The main problem with a 40K or even fantasy Warhammer Co-Op card game like LotR is that people have connections to every faction.  Because in the table top you can play any group when you go to a card game people want to play a deck based on their army.  Most of the Roleplaying stuff works because it forces you to all be Space Marines, or at least all Imperials.  

But I play Tau and would want to build a Tau deck.  And have friends who play eldar orc and Necron.  Letting everyone make the deck they want would make it hard to then have you work together.  And if you are just forced to play Space Marines then it is a lot less interesting to half the fans.

#29 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

The main problem with a 40K or even fantasy Warhammer Co-Op card game like LotR is that people have connections to every faction.  Because in the table top you can play any group when you go to a card game people want to play a deck based on their army.  Most of the Roleplaying stuff works because it forces you to all be Space Marines, or at least all Imperials.  

But I play Tau and would want to build a Tau deck.  And have friends who play eldar orc and Necron.  Letting everyone make the deck they want would make it hard to then have you work together.  And if you are just forced to play Space Marines then it is a lot less interesting to half the fans.

It's not a problem.

Old World of Warhammer has many similliar affiliations like LotR. Main races would be Reiklanders, High Elves, Wood Elves and Dwarves, which then can be sorted by the traits correposnding to their origin and sort of activity. The are also Halflings, Ogres and other sorts of humans like Bretonians.

As for Warhammer 40k, If we take just Imperium of Man, there'll be plenty of different characters to go as heroes and allies.

Eldar were also allies from time to time and stuff, so they could be recurring. (Check Relic characters) And Co-Op LCG of that sort would not be about giant scirmish between huge armies, so I can't see how are you going to put all those races you listed together and why.

As for "if you are just forced to play space marines" - tell it to the digital Warhammer 40K game developers who keeps bringing space marine games over and over, ignoring whole existance of other species.

#30 Senf

Senf

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Oh I totally agree that far to many 40K games are Space Marine based.  I understand that is the core of the source material, but still lots of cool stuff could be done with others.

But back on Topic I think a Star Trek game could be great.  You don't make it exactly like LotR of course, but you could have it where you start with a Captain and a Ship, and card you play are bridge crew people as well as ship upgrades and I am sure other things as well.  Then maybe you have away missions you send guys on, maybe have them take longer than a single turn of questing like LotR where you have to pick guys to go off and do things for multiple turns.  

Yes you can not have that same feeling you get from the show that people are talking about.  But if you can capture the flavor of Star Trek it could be great.  Set it around the time that Star Trek online is.  Slightly after Voyager and Deep Space 9.  Lots of definition to the galaxy all kinds of cool stuff you could do.

• Raven1015 likes this

#31 JonofPDX

JonofPDX

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

As a huge Trekkie I would LOVE to see a coop LCG made out of it...but it will never happen. To the best of my knowledge WizKids owns the rights and aren't planning on selling them or letting them lapse. 

But yeah--the setting DOES seem perfect. Of course you would never be able to fully replicate the more complex moral themes but you could make a fun game in that setting and the coop format WOULD allow for players to work together towards a common goal. 

• Snowhive likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS